New remasters?

sunflower

Many people, like me, consider the original 1980's CD pressings to be the best. They were made from the masters for the LP's and thus contain a natural LP sound. The `90's remasters are compressed (i.e. given artificial volume that tires your ears over time) and have treble and bass added that some audiophiles say submerges the music.

I would like a set of studio outtakes and more live stuff, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never heard the original 80s pressings of any of the albums - how noticeable would the differences be on a computer with an onboard soundcard and a pair of $26 Sennheisers headphones? My guess is "not very," right? The reason I ask is I am considering buying the Complete Studio Box and if those remasters really do lose a lot of the sound's depth, even if I can't detect it now, the 80s versions of the albums would be a more logical buy, since I assume at some point in the future I will have better listening equipment.

Along that same line, I would assume the Mothership remasters are even more compressed?

No official confirmation as yet but it would seem logical to do it.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, Jimmy decides to re-re-re-master the Zeppelin catalog, think twice before purchasing any more product along those lines.

Maybe if there's some "goodies" added to the original sets, but really, there's so many Zep remasters out there to buy and listen to.

Whatever miniscual difference there would be in the recordings would be so small as to be un-noticeable, even to a bloodhound.

This continual re-mastering of original product has got to stop. We the fans have the power to say - "enough"!! Give us new material or leave the old stuff alone already!

Not that Jimmy has any plans to release another re-masters series, but just in case.

• 3 months later...
Many people, like me, consider the original 1980's CD pressings to be the best. They were made from the masters for the LP's and thus contain a natural LP sound. The `90's remasters are compressed (i.e. given artificial volume that tires your ears over time) and have treble and bass added that some audiophiles say submerges the music.

This is BS. Making a CD master by Re-EQing a vinyl master was a disaster. A cheap half-assed way to make CD masters. It adds an extra generation of tape hiss and electronic filtering (coloration) to the CD master. I don't know about you but I want to hear as closely to the original masters as possible. When the albums are remastered properly, they sound closer to the original master tape. Supposedly Jimmy Page worked with the remastering engineer and signed off on the stuff. I'm sure he didn't intentionally put too much bass or treble in to the CD master. It's not like they did a remix. I also can't imagine they somehow use more and more compression with each successive remastering. These kind of rumors seem to be rampant all over the internet.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, Jimmy decides to re-re-re-master the Zeppelin catalog, think twice before purchasing any more product along those lines.

Maybe if there's some "goodies" added to the original sets, but really, there's so many Zep remasters out there to buy and listen to.

Whatever miniscual difference there would be in the recordings would be so small as to be un-noticeable, even to a bloodhound.

This continual re-mastering of original product has got to stop. We the fans have the power to say - "enough"!! Give us new material or leave the old stuff alone already!

Not that Jimmy has any plans to release another re-masters series, but just in case.

In the 15 years since they did the remastering, technology has gotten has gotten much better. I don't have a problem with buying it again if there's improvement.

Also there is probably going to be a trend for doing higher resolution, higher sampling rate remastering for audio-only Blu-Ray Discs. I look forward to hearing better than CD material.

Shoot...the music industry should adopt Blu-Ray discs as their new format so that they could include stereo, 5.1, unreleased tracks of demos, outtakes, instrumentals, alternative versions of SOME songs, short promotional films (music videos; the handful that they did) old interviews both audio and film, new interviews on film, and a film documentary on the project (a making of) and the touring for the project. Shoot I'm starting to think that Blu-Ray discs for music should be released in the large covers that vinyl use to have so that we can see and apreciate the artwork once again...the covers should be of better quality that will last as long as possible and the insert should be slammin' with photos and information...kind of like how some box sets around the year 1990 use to have. Good luck on keeping these things on the cheap side! Then again the music insdustry are going to want the public to buy their music again at some point. These will take quite some time for the music industry to put together I would imagine.

I'm by no means any technical expert, but if this is true - I hope the remasters sound like Mothership. When I have it playing it in my car, it's so loud I actually have to turn it down!

With Bluray there are three lossless PCM formats with up to 24 bit / 192 KHZ sampling rate. Remastering for any of these formats should be an audible improvement. Bringing the consumer a couple of steps closer to the original master tapes.

I can't wait for the stuff. I have a feeling it's going to happen. Maybe not industry-wide because the average Joe likes the crappy sound of downloads. But for audiophile recordings, absolutely.

I wonder if their whole catalog would fit on one Bluray disc.

I think that they should actually each have their own disc so that each can be crammed with what all I mentioned should be as "bonus features". Otherwise I think if all of the studio releases were sold together in a box set it should be done in the format of the Freddie Mercury box set from the year 2000 which was a massive oversized hardback book with a hard slip case. The most brilliant box set I have ever seen and I have over TWENTY box sets of all sorts.

Archived