Another dirty harry movie ?!

MistyMountain67

Nothing tops "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" for me. That was one gritty movie, with some surrealistic scenes that westerns rarely have. Eli Wallach and Lee van Cleef were tremendous. "Blondie, you know what you are - you're a son of a..... Aaaaaa-aaa-aaaaa wa wa wa!!!"

They could have a new movie with Clint in a reversed role as the judge who condemns bad guys, who is hunted by his victims looking for revenge later - that might work?

All the balleyhoo for "Unforgiven" is undeserved. A way of paying tribute to Clint for all of the great work that he had already done..... But isn't that how Hollywood so often works... great accolades for something "now" but that is really to credit the great works already done, that did not get their just due then. "Unforgiven" is a good Western..... it is not a great one. Or, one of the greatest westerns, as the Hollywood hype would have you to believe. Whatever "unforgiven" is... there are just too many other westerns that are greater, for "Unforgiven" to be critically regarded so highly.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. I am a huge fan of westerns, and am probably one of the greatest John Wayne fans you will ever meet. For my whole life I always considered John Ford's classic film The Searchers starring John Wayne, to have been the greatest western ever made. Filmed in the classic Ford style with broad horizons and larger than life characters. The Searchers tells a story of a very dark and twisted man Ethan Edwards (John Wayne), as he searches for his neice who had been captured by renegade Indians. Like I said, greatest western film ever made...

... UNTIL of course, Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven.

Unforgiven is just that great of a film. I always enjoyed Clint Eastwood westerns, especially Josey Wales. But they were the typical stylized western stories that Hollywood has made for years (and the same was true of most John Wayne westerns too btw). But with Unforgiven we had a chance to see a film that went against the typical cliches and tells a story that too me could have played out in reality. In Unforgiven there are no gun battles in the streets of town at high noon. Those things didn't really happen in the old west. Except for the famous gunfight in Tombstone, most gun battles took place just like they did in Unforgiven. Somebody shooting a guy in the back, or from behind a rock. Unforgiven gives us that kind of a story. And the performances by Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman were also excellent. This is a great film. Every accolade that Eastwood and the film received was well deserved.

Clint was quoted at Cannes as saying this is not true, there will not be another Dirty Harry movie. He basically said a 77 year old would never still be working as a cop at that age, so for him to play that role would be silly.

I recall Eastwood saying in an interview a few years back when asked if there was ever going to be another Dirty Harry film. And Eastwood pretty much said, " what could it be about, some old guy going fishing."

He pretty much said that he would be too old, and the character at this pont, to play a police detective.

Absolutely, too old to play that part anymore. Like I proposed, a twist with him in the opposite role, like a crusty old judge or something. Gregory Peck took different roles in his later years in remakes of "Moby Dick" (preacher) and I think "Cape Fear" (not sure).

.. UNTIL of course, Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven.

Unforgiven is just that great of a film. I always enjoyed Clint Eastwood westerns, especially Josey Wales. But they were the typical stylized western stories that Hollywood has made for years (and the same was true of most John Wayne westerns too btw). But with Unforgiven we had a chance to see a film that went against the typical cliches and tells a story that too me could have played out in reality. In Unforgiven there are no gun battles in the streets of town at high noon. Those things didn't really happen in the old west. Except for the famous gunfight in Tombstone, most gun battles took place just like they did in Unforgiven. Somebody shooting a guy in the back, or from behind a rock. Unforgiven gives us that kind of a story. And the performances by Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman were also excellent. This is a great film. Every accolade that Eastwood and the film received was well deserved.

I like to be entertained when I go the movies.

If I want to watch a docudrama, I watch them on PBS.

I found Outland with Sean Connery to be more entertaining than the "realism" of Unforgiven.

I just cannot recommend Unforgiven to anyone for entertainment purposes. :D

I don't remember being too impressed with "Unforgiven" when I first saw it, because I was impatient for that cliched action right away. Older Clint movies give you a scene where he mows down 3 baddies with 3 shots right away, and then he cooly saunters around for the rest of it. Unforgiven is a warts and all movie, with more personal interaction. I'd say in an era of explosions and effects that are used in such excess as to dull all senses, this is a very good movie.

Archived