Another dirty harry movie ?!

MistyMountain67

There is a Clint Eastwood movie that has quietly been under development over at Warner Bros that is something of a mystery. It’s called Gran Torino and has only been rumored to have Eastwood attached.

It’s assumed Eastwood is the director on this one, since his next directorial effort, The Changeling with Angelina Jolie is in post.

So what do we know about Gran Torino? Absolutely nothing. It’s being fast-tracked by Warners for a December release (Oscar bid anyone?).

That’s why this e-mail from AICN is so exciting:

“I recently advertised my 1974 ford grand torino classic original for sale in the local here, and within 24 hours had someone from Village Roadshow Pictures interested in having a look at it. He came. He wasn’t interested for numerous reasons (probably the modifications). He told me they were looking for the right car for a new Clint Eastwood movie.

He said it was a thriller about a killer that drives a certain torino. His 1972 Ford Gran Torino is the only thing the police have on him. A retired police lieutenant, one Harry Callahan, makes it his mission to track down the culprit when two young police officers, one Callahan’s grandson, are shot and killed by the guy.”

78-year old Clint is prepping Dirty Harry 6?

It looks like you can’t keep old men down this year, what with Indy, Rambo and Dirty Harry.

Well, Rambo and Indy have returned, why not Harry?

Seriously, Stallone, Ford, and Eastwood should start some sort of retired action heroes group. haha

I am looking forward to Indy, though. If only Shia LeBeouf wasn't stinking up the joint. I can't believe people my age think he has any acting ability. The pieces of inanimate metal in Transformers out-acted him. Excuse my pointless rage.

There is a Clint Eastwood movie that has quietly been under development over at Warner Bros that is something of a mystery. It’s called Gran Torino and has only been rumored to have Eastwood attached.

It’s assumed Eastwood is the director on this one, since his next directorial effort, The Changeling with Angelina Jolie is in post.

So what do we know about Gran Torino? Absolutely nothing. It’s being fast-tracked by Warners for a December release (Oscar bid anyone?).

That’s why this e-mail from AICN is so exciting:

“I recently advertised my 1974 ford grand torino classic original for sale in the local here, and within 24 hours had someone from Village Roadshow Pictures interested in having a look at it. He came. He wasn’t interested for numerous reasons (probably the modifications). He told me they were looking for the right car for a new Clint Eastwood movie.

He said it was a thriller about a killer that drives a certain torino. His 1972 Ford Gran Torino is the only thing the police have on him. A retired police lieutenant, one Harry Callahan, makes it his mission to track down the culprit when two young police officers, one Callahan’s grandson, are shot and killed by the guy.”

It's not a Dirty Harry movie then. :)

The link to the Clint Eastwood Discussion Board was provided as a courtesy for those

who were unaware of it or seeking more information on his upcoming film releases, to

include the one under discussion.

Your emoticon suggests your intentions are questionable as I wasn't discussing The Beatles at length and this is not a Beatles thread.

That Clint Eastwood discussion board is one of the best forums on the internet that I've seen. Everything is in order there, no repeat threads or anything like that and it's very well moderated.

That Clint Eastwood discussion board is one of the best forums on the internet that I've seen. Everything is in order there, no repeat threads or anything like that and it's very well moderated.

I became a fan of the Clint Eastwood board after finding an extensive thread pertaining to the destruction of the bridge he was standing on when he lept onto the school bus in the original Dirty Harry. I suppose this makes me an Eastwood anorak too. That's fine.

Board OKs destruction of trestle

Bridge stood in Larkspur for 78 years

Peter Fimrite, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 20, 2001

One of Marin County's last landmarks from the days when railroads connected rural towns up and down the coast will soon be history.

County supervisors granted the city of Larkspur permission yesterday to tear down the wooden railroad trestle that has stood over East Sir Francis Drake Boulevard for 78 years.

The 100-foot structure, jointly owned by the county and the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District, is revered by railroad buffs -- and by bicycle advocates who see it as a necessary link in a future bicycle freeway through Marin County.

But no trains have crossed the trestle for nearly 30 years, and a lot of work would have to be done before it could be used as a bicycle path. In fact, the last significant use of the weathered platform was during the filming of the climactic scenes in the 1971 movie "Dirty Harry," when Clint Eastwood used it to jump onto a bus full of kidnapped schoolchildren.

Since then, Larkspur Landing has grown from semirural countryside to an entertainment and transportation hub, and East Sir Francis Drake has become one of the most congested roadways in the county.

Larkspur officials want to remove the trestle, and the support beams in the middle of the roadway, to make room for an additional westbound traffic lane. The bridge district approved the removal of the trestle last month, so yesterday's vote spelled the end of the road for the beloved bridge.

"I don't think there is a legitimate need for it to be up," said Hal Brown, president of both the bridge district board and the county Board of Supervisors. "At some point in the future, if we are going to have a bike lane across there, it would have to be a replacement. This trestle is mostly symbolic. Given a choice, the bicycle advocates would want something bigger and better and stronger."

The supervisors agreed to commit $300,000 toward a study of possible transportation alternatives and to assist Larkspur in obtaining grants to develop plans for a north-south bikeway link in the area.

That wasn't enough for Supervisor John Kress, who cast the only dissenting vote. He pointed out that Larkspur's own studies showed the boulevard could be widened without removing the trestle, which is one of three key links outlined in the county's bicycle and pedestrian master plan.

"The long-term interests of transportation alternatives were given short shrift today," Kress said. "Here is a visible reminder of our transportation past, and we basically agreed to give it up without compensation based on an unverified assertion that the trestle is a worthless piece of junk." The trestle, built in 1923, was part of a railroad system that snaked through Marin County in the early part of the 20th century. Competition from the automobile killed the passenger service in 1941. The last freight train crossed the trestle in 1973.

• 2 months later...

Clint was quoted at Cannes as saying this is not true, there will not be another Dirty Harry movie. He basically said a 77 year old would never still be working as a cop at that age, so for him to play that role would be silly.

Clint was quoted at Cannes as saying this is not true, there will not be another Dirty Harry movie. He basically said a 77 year old would never still be working as a cop at that age, so for him to play that role would be silly.

Maybe they should put Sean Connery back in as James Bond, and we can have allt he grandpa action films

In fact, let's make an action film with Sean Connery, Clint Eastwood, Stallone, and Harrison Ford all in it...

Maybe that's why he's supposed to be retired, according to the original post. Does seem a bit unlikely though, and Clint already did the "one last job" movie to perfection with Unforgiven.

Maybe that's why he's supposed to be retired, according to the original post. Does seem a bit unlikely though, and Clint already did the "one last job" movie to perfection with Unforgiven.

All the balleyhoo for "Unforgiven" is undeserved. A way of paying tribute to Clint for all of the great work that he had already done..... But isn't that how Hollywood so often works... great accolades for something "now" but that is really to credit the great works already done, that did not get their just due then. "Unforgiven" is a good Western..... it is not a great one. Or, one of the greatest westerns, as the Hollywood hype would have you to believe. Whatever "unforgiven" is... there are just too many other westerns that are greater, for "Unforgiven" to be critically regarded so highly.

All the balleyhoo for "Unforgiven" is undeserved. A way of paying tribute to Clint for all of the great work that he had already done..... But isn't that how Hollywood so often works... great accolades for something "now" but that is really to credit the great works already done, that did not get their just due then. "Unforgiven" is a good Western..... it is not a great one. Or, one of the greatest westerns, as the Hollywood hype would have you to believe. Whatever "unforgiven" is... there are just too many other westerns that are greater, for "Unforgiven" to be critically regarded so highly.

I agree, and lots of parallels there to John Wayne's award for "True Grit". Wayne's role in "The Cowboys" was far more deserving imo.

Archived