Internet Safety

~Bonnie~

I use AVG for anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware/site scanning and ZoneAlarm for firewall. Haven't had one problem. The thing I like about AVG is that say you search for "pizza" on Google. All the sites that come up will have either a star with a checkmark in it if it's safe to visit or a red X if you should stay away. When you put your cursor over the checkmark (or X) it'll tell you whether there's any active threats on that site.

Also, say you get an email from ebay or PayPal asking you to log in and verify your account information because of inactivity or something like that. If it's a hoax, when you click the link in the email, a red screen will come up telling you the site is a fake and that you should immediately go back. It won't let you even attempt to access it. Sometimes those emails can be very tricky in terms of determining whether it's real or fake, and what this program does is take the guesswork out of it.

I saw specials on RAM inserts in the Best Buy and Circuit City Sunday paper weekly flyers today. Anywhere from $29-$39 for the memory sticks. Do you have a Best Buy in your area ? They're easy to slide into the slots inside your computer too.

THANKS BUDDY. B)

I use AVG for anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware/site scanning and ZoneAlarm for firewall. Haven't had one problem. The thing I like about AVG is that say you search for "pizza" on Google. All the sites that come up will have either a star with a checkmark in it if it's safe to visit or a red X if you should stay away. When you put your cursor over the checkmark (or X) it'll tell you whether there's any active threats on that site.

Also, say you get an email from ebay or PayPal asking you to log in and verify your account information because of inactivity or something like that. If it's a hoax, when you click the link in the email, a red screen will come up telling you the site is a fake and that you should immediately go back. It won't let you even attempt to access it. Sometimes those emails can be very tricky in terms of determining whether it's real or fake, and what this program does is take the guesswork out of it.

If the site is legitimate, they will never ask you for your personal information to update your account. They have all of this information already. One other thing is to highlight over the link and see what the address is. If you don't recognize it, then don't try to access it. More than likely it's a fraud trying to get your personal info. Try not to access websites through links in emails as well. They could be disguised. Go to their own web page through your web browser.

If the site is legitimate, they will never ask you for your personal information to update your account. They have all of this information already. One other thing is to highlight over the link and see what the address is. If you don't recognize it, then don't try to access it. More than likely it's a fraud trying to get your personal info. Try not to access websites through links in emails as well. They could be disguised. Go to their own web page through your web browser.

Another clue is they will address the email "Dear Member" any legit email will know your first and last name.

Still best advice is never! click on a link in an email that asks for personal info ;)

I have spent about 5 hours the last two days trying to get my desk top computer to access the internet. I am using my laptop, but my Quick Bools software is on my desk top in my library and I need to print up W-2's for my office employees. But I need to download an update from Quick Books over the internet in order to do so.

It is connected via a plug in wireless router to our main desktop computer which is upstairs in our loft. I can access the wireless network but it will not access the internet. My laptop can access the internet. I think it is something wrong with the settings. I have called several people for help, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Another clue is they will address the email "Dear Member" any legit email will know your first and last name.

Still best advice is never! click on a link in an email that asks for personal info ;)

Absolutely and I get a ton of those that manage to escape the spam filter :mad:

I have spent about 5 hours the last two days trying to get my desk top computer to access the internet. I am using my laptop, but my Quick Bools software is on my desk top in my library and I need to print up W-2's for my office employees. But I need to download an update from Quick Books over the internet in order to do so.

It is connected via a plug in wireless router to our main desktop computer which is upstairs in our loft. I can access the wireless network but it will not access the internet. My laptop can access the internet. I think it is something wrong with the settings. I have called several people for help, but no luck.

Any suggestions?

You may need to log into your router and add the MAC address of your desktop.

The router is preventing you from accessing the net. Usually it's the other way around but just a thought.

You may need to log into your router and add the MAC address of your desktop.

The router is preventing you from accessing the net. Usually it's the other way around but just a thought.

That makes sense, but..... I have no idea how to do it or what my MAC address is. :lol:

I am fairly computer iliterate. I can figure out what the problem is and I think that you are right on with your answer, but I don't know how to fix it.

That makes sense, but..... I have no idea how to do it or what my MAC address is. :lol:

I am fairly computer iliterate. I can figure out what the problem is and I think that you are right on with your answer, but I don't know how to fix it.

If you have Vista open the control panel and click on network and sharing center, above the globe it says view full map, click that when that opens mouse over your computer icon and the address will appear.

I don't know how to add MAC addresses to routers. I just know how to get to them. LOL

It depends on what router you have. But on belkin you enter the IP address into your browser address bar. I think it's the same with all of them though.

Thank you, Thank you! :thanku:

Now what do you do with it?

If you use remote access and there is someone you know you can trust, they can help you from any computer they have access to. Basically means they will have control of your pc and can diagnose the problem from their pc. You can stop the process at any time by pressing escape. Maybe one of your sons at school?

edited to say: just like an automobile you really can't diagnose the problem over the phone :P

If you use remote access and there is someone you know you can trust, they can help you from any computer they have access to. Basically means they will have control of your pc and can diagnose the problem from their pc. You can stop the process at any time by pressing escape. Maybe one of your sons at school?

You are very wise! I have already called the oldest son at school and he gave me several things to try and no luck. I don't know if remote access would work if the computer can't connect to the net. I am using XP on that computer, not Vista (Vista on my laptop).

I may take it in to a local computer shop, but every time I do, the guy has me buy new hardware when the problem is just a software problem. Then, I will have a big mess: My Quick Books Pro 2006 runs on XP. The new computer will have Vista, so my current data won't transfer. So then I will have to buy a new version of Quick Books, which costs a couple hundred dollars. Then, my data will get screwed up in the transfer just when I need it to do my year end tax reports. Then, my printer won't be compatable, and I will have to buy a new printer, and on and on and on.

You are very wise! I have already called the oldest son at school and he gave me several things to try and no luck. I don't know if remote access would work if the computer can't connect to the net. I am using XP on that computer, not Vista (Vista on my laptop).

I may take it in to a local computer shop, but every time I do, the guy has me buy new hardware when the problem is just a software problem. Then, I will have a big mess: My Quick Books Pro 2006 runs on XP. The new computer will have Vista, so my current data won't transfer. So then I will have to buy a new version of Quick Books, which costs a couple hundred dollars. Then, my data will get screwed up in the transfer just when I need it to do my year end tax reports. Then, my printer won't be compatable, and I will have to buy a new printer, and on and on and on.

:slapface: Bill Gates strikes again! Good luck :)

Absolutely and I get a ton of those that manage to escape the spam filter :mad:

I get tons of those as well, regarding my email accounts and ones for ebay and paypal as well. That's what Dlzdoc said regarding the fraudulent accounts over on ebay and emails people received needing to update their info. I never fall for that garbage. There are also many scams involving bank accounts to, most from banks I have never heard of or at least I certainly don't have an account with.

The other scam are the emails coming out of Africa and the UK, stating you've won a big lottery or national sweepstakes or that someone has been trying to contact you regarding an inheritance. Unbelievable!

I get tons of those as well, regarding my email accounts and ones for ebay and paypal as well. That's what Dlzdoc said regarding the fraudulent accounts over on ebay and emails people received needing to update their info. I never fall for that garbage. There are also many scams involving bank accounts to, most from banks I have never heard of or at least I certainly don't have an account with.

The other scam are the emails coming out of Africa and the UK, stating you've won a big lottery or national sweepstakes or that someone has been trying to contact you regarding an inheritance. Unbelievable!

Oh yes, I get those constantly! Or ones from the FBI or Fed Ex regarding a package with my winnings :blink: I wish there was a way to stop them but I don't know how they'd do it.

Oh yes, I get those constantly! Or ones from the FBI or Fed Ex regarding a package with my winnings :blink: I wish there was a way to stop them but I don't know how they'd do it.

A random address generator program. <_<

Archived