Jimmy's Les Pauls

The lighting makes it look like Mr. Page is playing a Honeyburst colored Gibson Les Paul but his Signature Les Paul is Sunburst. Anybody know which guitars he used? Was it the 59 sunburst and the lighting?

I saw the new Gibson black beauty on one song

Johnny, I've posted this a few times, on various forums, but here is the list of guitars & tunings that I made the day after the gig:

First up - the tunings:

#1 LP - standard tuning down a tone to D

Giffen LP proto-type copy/possibly Gibson "Murphy"d signature (too hard to tell) - standard tuning down a tone to D

#2 LP - standard tuning at correct pitch (E)

ES350 - open G

LP custom - standard tuning at correct pitch (E)

EDS 1275 - both necks standard tuning down a tone to D

Cherry b-bender LP - DADGAD at correct pitch (D)

Transperformance LP - standard tuning at correct pitch (E) plus auto-tune craziness!

So the set, with guitar changes is this:

GTBT/RO/BD - #1

IMTOD - swtich to the ES350 for slide - this is down a tone from the album, but this is the key they played it live in the '70s.

FYL - LP custom Black Beauty, same key as the record

TU - #2

NFBM - #1

NQ - #1 - down a full step from where they used to play it live, but only down a half step from the record, because the recording was slowed down by a half step.

SIBLY - #2 - unusual choice of guitar, but it seems they wanted to do it in the correct key

D&C - the Giffen copy - Page uses this guitar for all the bow work to keep the main guitars free from rossin

STH/TSRTS - EDS 1275

MMH - #2

Kashmir - cherry b-bender LP

WLL - transperformance LP

R&R - #1

Johnny, I've posted this a few times, on various forums, but here is the list of guitars & tunings that I made the day after the gig:

First up - the tunings:

#1 LP - standard tuning down a tone to D

Giffen LP proto-type copy/possibly Gibson "Murphy"d signature (too hard to tell) - standard tuning down a tone to D

#2 LP - standard tuning at correct pitch (E)

ES350 - open G

LP custom - standard tuning at correct pitch (E)

EDS 1275 - both necks standard tuning down a tone to D

Cherry b-bender LP - DADGAD at correct pitch (D)

Transperformance LP - standard tuning at correct pitch (E) plus auto-tune craziness!

So the set, with guitar changes is this:

GTBT/RO/BD - #1

IMTOD - swtich to the ES350 for slide - this is down a tone from the album, but this is the key they played it live in the '70s.

FYL - LP custom Black Beauty, same key as the record

TU - #2

NFBM - #1

NQ - #1 - down a full step from where they used to play it live, but only down a half step from the record, because the recording was slowed down by a half step.

SIBLY - #2 - unusual choice of guitar, but it seems they wanted to do it in the correct key

D&C - the Giffen copy - Page uses this guitar for all the bow work to keep the main guitars free from rossin

STH/TSRTS - EDS 1275

MMH - #2

Kashmir - cherry b-bender LP

WLL - transperformance LP

R&R - #1

how do you know that Page used that Giffen copy for the reason to keep the guitars free of rossin? Furthermore, how do you know that when Page uses a bow for his guitar, its all rossin-ed up? have you ever played a guitar with a rossin-ed bow --- its terrible, and much much better to use a bow without rossin.

not calling you out or saying you are wrong, but asking how do you know you are right? I thought he used #2 for SIBLY and Dazed.

On a sidenote, I believe you are completely correct for every other song.

how do you know that Page used that Giffen copy for the reason to keep the guitars free of rossin? Furthermore, how do you know that when Page uses a bow for his guitar, its all rossin-ed up? have you ever played a guitar with a rossin-ed bow --- its terrible, and much much better to use a bow without rossin.

not calling you out or saying you are wrong, but asking how do you know you are right? I thought he used #2 for SIBLY and Dazed.

Rosin really helps the sound, but I don't know how Page could play with all of the strings junked up afterwards. Maybe because he's just Jimmy Page? Not sure about that one.

And I don't think he would use #2 for Dazed, since that song was tuned down and #2 was in standard tuning the whole time.

I've played Viola for the past decade, so I believe im well educated enough to tell you that using a bow without rosin is like driving a car without gas :)

-additionally (I've used my rental bow on my old 'starter' guitar for fun) the "gunk" isn't that bad, you just have to wipe it back once or twice with your sleeve, and it's not really sticky at all. It only gets really 'gunky' if you let it sit for a few weeks or dont clean it daily.

(dont use a rosined bow on a good guitar.. it could mess up the pickups, but idk exactly what it'll do to electric guitar pickups)

Because, quite simply, Pagey's roadie has said a number of times in different magazines, that he doesn't use the bow on the old guitars anymore.

The photos that are available to view on the web make it clear that it isn't #1 or #2.

When I first wrote that list out, the day after the gig, I went for the Giffen copy that he's had since the 90s. After talking to some folks & after spending more time with the photos that are around, I've expended my view to allow that it's equally likely to be one of the Gibson Historics. To be honest, I'm not too bothered by that particular detail - my initial interest in compiling the list was to ascertain when he used the old guitars, & map the tuning changes to see if they matched, which they did.

Archived