Whitesnake

A commercial for WHITESNAKE's new album, "Good To Be Bad", can be viewed HERE

Another 80's rock band! I used to listen to a couple of their songs, but not a die hard fan. Still, I have to give credit to Coverdale for having a good voice.

Another 80's rock band! I used to listen to a couple of their songs, but not a die hard fan. Still, I have to give credit to Coverdale for having a good voice.

They formed in the 70s - the first time I saw them live was 1978.

One of those rare bands who got progressively worse over the years.

:lol::lol::lol:

They formed in the 70s - the first time I saw them live was 1978.

One of those rare bands who got progressively worse over the years.

Yes, you are right. They go back to the 70's, but I have been knowing them from the 80's only, though. I was too little in the 70's. :)

I only have two of their 80's albums, can't remember the titles and a greatest hits CD.

I love their older music. But their Zeppelinian Still of The Night (80's) still gives me goosebumps.

I still remember when I also first saw that video. I was a young teenager and David looked to me like the most handsome man I had ever seen, and Tawny Kitaen, well I wanted to look like her.... :lol::lol::lol:

Sins of the young age...

WHITESNAKEKIX90HAMPTONVA.jpg

Whitesnake in my opion has always been a good live Band.

Whitesnake and Kix Norfolk Va 1990 with Steve Vai and Adrian Vandenberg on Guitar

whitesnakeandgreatwhitehamptonva88.jpg

Norfolk va Whitesnake and Great White 1988 Adrian Vandenberg and Vivian Cambell

WHITESNAKEKIX90HAMPTONVA.jpg

Whitesnake in my opion has always been a good live Band.

Whitesnake and Kix Norfolk Va 1990

Never seen them live. They played in Sydney end of last month. I wanted to go to the concert, but a friend of mine who usually joins me at rock concerts, said she was refusing to see a Hair rock band.

:huh::huh: So, in the end I missed it! Shame, because I would have loved to hear David's voice. I like his voice, probably with age it has weakened a bit, hasn't it?

Never seen them live. They played in Sydney end of last month. I wanted to go to the concert, but a friend of mine who usually joins me at rock concerts, said she was refusing to see a Hair rock band.

:huh::huh: So, in the end I missed it! Shame, because I would have loved to hear David's voice. I like his voice, probably with age it has weakened a bit, hasn't it?

MOTLEYCRUEWHITESNAKENORVA87.jpg

The Motley Hair Band Crue and Whitesnake 1987

Dont know how He sounds now last time I heard him was back in the early 90's but He was pretty good.

Know He is not as good as Robert but He is A great Rock Performer.From my bootleg Coverdale Page shows from Japan He appeared to still have it in 93

I listened to Good To Be Bad via the link above and I am suprised he still has the voice, honestly I can't hear any difference between now and back in the days. Maybe he even sound better today then he used to do!

Only thing I wish is that he would go back to the roots, get more bluesy and stop making that 80's sounding metal. Whitesnake's first couple of albums is really great while the stuff with Sykes, Vandenberg and Vai can't stand the test of time IMO.

I've seen them at least 60 times - here are just a few of the early tickets

pk082.jpg

pk083.jpg

I personally think Coverdale's voice has lost a lot of its power and he focuses WAY too much on screaming these days. I also belive he uses some vocal enhancement live. The best part of the live shows for me by far is when he sings acapella at audience request - something like "Soldier of Fortune" or "Time and Again". I agree with Swede - when he sang bluesy, soulful songs he was wonderful. I hated what that band morphed into in the awful hair metal days.

I still have a real soft spot for Coverdale having first met him aged 14, but I detested the Coverdale Page album and to this day don't take it seriously. The publicity shots at the time were some of the worst I have ever seen. Jimmy must just cringe - it just wasn't him at all.

^^^ Some nice momentos there Knebby. I agree in that early Whitesnake were an awesome force, I had the misfortune to see the vid again for Here I Go Again '87 the other day and I shuddered, so not a good look.

I am going to see them in June with Def Leppard, more from a nostalgic point of view as I do still have very fond memories of their early days.

"'Ere's a song for ya" :)

^^ I have never seen them live, but I guess I would appreciate it even if I got the chance to see them now all though it's not the same band as in the late 70's and early 80's.

I love Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City, Come On, Walking In The Shadow Of The Blues, Ain't Gonna Cry No More and of course Deep Purple's Mistreated and Soldier Of Fortune. I did see Mickey Moody once, and he performed a fine accoustic version of Ain't No Love.. But of course, Coverdale was missing.

Not such a big fan, but I listen to their songs from time to time. Fortunately, I'll see them in July. It's a pity that John Sykes is not a member of Whitesnake anymore. He's an awesome guitarist IMO and I would have loved to see him playing. I just keep drolling when I watch the solo from Crying in the rain. I know, speed isn't everything, but he still kicks ass :D .

Here I go again, Still of the night and Is this love are some of my favorite tunes.

^^ Whitesnake wasn't bad with Sykes, but I prefer the early stuff with them. Speaking of John Sykes, have you heard the albums he made with Tygers Of Pan Tang? The album Spellbound (1981) was a great piece of New Wave Of British Heavy Metal and a lot better (IMHO) than the 1987 incarnation of Whitesnake.

Here's an insanely great performance by Sykes and Tygers Of Pan Tang in 1981:

e83629jrk9v.jpg

Allmusic.com review:

Tygers Of Pan Tang - Spellbound

Spellbound represented an amazing evolution for the Tygers of Pan Tang, especially considering that it was released a mere six months after their very rough and unpolished debut. Simply put, the addition of versatile new vocalist Jon Deverill and brilliant guitarist John Sykes (yes — that John Sykes) helped improve the Tygers' musicianship and songwriting abilities to no end, allowing producer Chris Tsangarides to exact an infinitely superior (if not as innocently charming) performance of the band from a technical perspective. With a muscular brand of metal lying somewhere between Def Leppard and Saxon, the revitalized group had all of their bases covered and only MCA (frequently referred to as the "Musical Cemetery of America" in those days) could possibly squander the potential of memorable numbers like "Gangland," "Take It," and the especially hook-laden "The Story So Far." Other highlights include "Mirror," one of the band's best power ballads, and "Don't Stop By," where Sykes takes the first great solo of his career, showcasing both the stunning technical mastery and fluid musicality which would become his trademarks. And despite containing the odd clunker, like the pointless instrumental interlude "Minotaur" and the rather one-dimensional "Silver and Gold," Spellbound still ranks as one of the more consistent and impressive early albums of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and should satisfy all first-time customers. [The 1997 CD reissue of Spellbound by Edgy Records offers an impressive number of bonus tracks (five in all) and band photos, along with extensive biographical notes and technical credits to boot.]

Whitesnake's 'Good to be Bad' rocks

By Wayne Parry, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

It's only April, but Whitesnake has laid down the marker for the best hard rock record of the year; anyone wanting the crown will have to top this excellent effort, the band's first new studio album in 11 years.

The masters of melodic metal, led by frontman David Coverdale, have brought back old-school power rock - heavy enough to satisfy the headbanger within, but catchy enough to embed the song in your brain.

The band's ever-changing lineup now sports the twin guitar attack of Doug Aldrich (Dio) and Reb Beech (Alice Cooper, Dokken, Winger), and both play with speed, ferocity and melody. From the opening riffs of "Best Years" to the title track and the fast-paced rocker "Got What You Need," the pair perfectly complement Coverdale's wails.

The best track is "Lay Down Your Love," the closest thing to a metal mash-up of Whitesnake classics "Slow And Easy" and "Still of The Night." The latter track is particularly evident here, from the bump-and boogie riff that shimmies, then pauses for Coverdale's vocals, to the subdued, mid-tonal middle.

Other appropriations include the ballad "All I Want, All I Need," which evokes the power ballad "Is This Love?" Close your eyes, and you'll soon imagine Tawny Kitean and her little white dress from the memorable 1987 video. And the catchy "All For Love" cops the main riff from the Kansas classic "Carry On Wayward Son."

"'Til The End Of Time" closes the album on a note reminiscent of mid-'70s acoustic Led Zeppelin, and even finishes with a "Kashmir" riff.

All in all, this is proof that even though long in the tooth, Whitesnake still has fangs.

Check out this track: Did you like Whitesnake's biggest-ever hit, "Still Of the Night" in 1987? Well, you'll love it here again in 2008 with "Lay Down Your Love." VERY similar riff and vocal patterns tie these two tracks closely together. Hey, you go with what works . . .

WHITESNAKE Widget

The best track is "Lay Down Your Love," the closest thing to a metal mash-up of Whitesnake classics "Slow And Easy" and "Still of The Night." The latter track is particularly evident here, from the bump-and boogie riff that shimmies, then pauses for Coverdale's vocals, to the subdued, mid-tonal middle.

Other appropriations include the ballad "All I Want, All I Need," which evokes the power ballad "Is This Love?" Close your eyes, and you'll soon imagine Tawny Kitean and her little white dress from the memorable 1987 video. And the catchy "All For Love" cops the main riff from the Kansas classic "Carry On Wayward Son."

"'Til The End Of Time" closes the album on a note reminiscent of mid-'70s acoustic Led Zeppelin, and even finishes with a "Kashmir" riff.

All in all, this is proof that even though long in the tooth, Whitesnake still has fangs.

Check out this track: Did you like Whitesnake's biggest-ever hit, "Still Of the Night" in 1987? Well, you'll love it here again in 2008 with "Lay Down Your Love." VERY similar riff and vocal patterns tie these two tracks closely together. Hey, you go with what works . . .

WHITESNAKE Widget

Sounds like they're not only still ripping off Zeppelin riffs but those of Kansas and their very own as well. Worse yet is that they're using these as selling points for the record.

I've seen them at least 60 times - here are just a few of the early tickets

pk082.jpg

pk083.jpg

I personally think Coverdale's voice has lost a lot of its power and he focuses WAY too much on screaming these days. I also belive he uses some vocal enhancement live. The best part of the live shows for me by far is when he sings acapella at audience request - something like "Soldier of Fortune" or "Time and Again". I agree with Swede - when he sang bluesy, soulful songs he was wonderful. I hated what that band morphed into in the awful hair metal days.

I still have a real soft spot for Coverdale having first met him aged 14, but I detested the Coverdale Page album and to this day don't take it seriously. The publicity shots at the time were some of the worst I have ever seen. Jimmy must just cringe - it just wasn't him at all.

I managed to see them several time but it was 87 - 90 still verry good live shows but I wish I could have seen the earlier shows.I saw Deep Purple twice 73 and 88 both times with Ian Gillan verry good shows but I never had the chance to see Coverdale with them. great stuff there and like you I like the blusey stuff.

^^^ Some nice momentos there Knebby. I agree in that early Whitesnake were an awesome force, I had the misfortune to see the vid again for Here I Go Again '87 the other day and I shuddered, so not a good look.

I am going to see them in June with Def Leppard, more from a nostalgic point of view as I do still have very fond memories of their early days.

"'Ere's a song for ya" :)

I hope to see them over here as I am a fan of both Bands we shall see.

Sounds like they're not only still ripping off Zeppelin riffs but those of Kansas and their very own as well. Worse yet is that they're using these as selling points for the record.

It's just feel good rock music. It's not high art.

It's just feel good rock music. It's not high art.

I never said it was high art, I was just pointing out how they're still ripping off other artists.

Like others, I didn't mind the earlier versions of Whitesnake but never cared for the latter day hair metal version that stole so blatantly from Zeppelin.

As I said, they were in Sydney but I missed their concert unfortunately...

What makes it a bit disappointing is the fact that they will be opening as supporter band for the Swedish band EUROPE!!! That will be in Italy, my sister told me.

Sorry, SWEDE, nothing wrong against EUROPE, :) but many many years ago it would have been the other way around.... :D:D

As I said, they were in Sydney but I missed their concert unfortunately...

What makes it a bit disappointing is the fact that they will be opening as supporter band for the Swedish band EUROPE!!! That will be in Italy, my sister told me.

Sorry, SWEDE, nothing wrong against EUROPE, :) but many many years ago it would have been the other way around.... :D:D

LOL, It should still be the other way around! :D Whitesnake opening for Europe.. that's.. weird.

LOL, It should still be the other way around! :D Whitesnake opening for Europe.. that's.. weird.

I know, that's a bit odd. Maybe it's only when they tour Italy...strange place, eh? :D:D and it's an Italian girl who says that... :D:D

Archived