Black Dog

hot dog

Sorry if this is an old topic - any idea why Black Dog has been the 3rd song on so many tours?

I make it to have been played 3rd on the 1971 UK winter tour, the 1973 tours (and many in-between), the 1979 shows, the 'Over Europe' tour, the O2 show - even on the current Plant/Krauss tour.

Just habit? :huh:

They have the songs in certain order for a reason. They changed them sometimes from year to year but they put on a show a certain way. They always wanted the first 2 or 3 songs to be played almost straight through. Sometimes with one introduction after the 2nd then got right into the next song. Then about 5 or 6 songs in they started to play something more mellow. Dazed and Confused isn't really mellow but it's not heavy throughout like some other songs. This is where Stairway was played for all of 71 and until late 72 I think. They would also put in accoustic sets here. Then they play a couple of upbeat numbers ending with Whole Lotta Love. Things did change some after 72 really when Stairway was put at the end of the show. Black Dog was moved to after WLL in 75, But the format didn't change much outside of that till 79 and 80 when they just tried to shorten the show and make it more electric driven. The only slower numbers were really Ten Years Gone, Rain Song, Stairway, and I guess All My Love in 80.

• 1 month later...

whoever said they liked to play the first couple numbers straight thru was right (i.e. were gonna groove-i cant quit you early 1970, immigrant song-heartbreaker late 1971).

every band has a setlist, and thats just the way it was.

regarding the song itself tho, personally, I think theres only one occasion where the band played this song the way i think it was meant to be played - 4-1-71 (BBC SESSSIONS)

i could never figure out what it was about this particular version, but it just seems to be so much more faster. maybe a different drum arrangement? it just seemed alot less lazy than the performances later in 72 and on

^^ I think it was just the newness and the enthusiasm for the new track. It's been my experience that when you take on a new song to a set, you tend to put more fire into it, and blow through it, as opposed to when you've done it many times. Then you tend to take it back a step and, how do I say, pay more attention to the nuances? For example, when my band first started doing the Rover, we'd blow through it. But after awhile, it slowed down, and it was played with more detail. More subtlety.

Although I can't say that applies to Black Dog! :lol:

That song was pretty balls out on every night I have! :beer:

^ Honestly tho - more balls-out than the BBC Sessions?! I really don't think thats possible. I think it has alot to do with Plant not having the same banshee-like scream ability much longer after 1971. <_<

That song was meant to be yelled at the top of one's lungs in a banshee-like manner. Do you agree? It just sounds too damn lazy otherwise.

whoever said they liked to play the first couple numbers straight thru was right (i.e. were gonna groove-i cant quit you early 1970, immigrant song-heartbreaker late 1971).

every band has a setlist, and thats just the way it was.

regarding the song itself tho, personally, I think theres only one occasion where the band played this song the way i think it was meant to be played - 4-1-71 (BBC SESSSIONS)

i could never figure out what it was about this particular version, but it just seems to be so much more faster. maybe a different drum arrangement? it just seemed alot less lazy than the performances later in 72 and on

I strongly disagree. JULY 28TH 1973!!!!!!!!!!! I defy you, on pain of death (not really, obviously), to find a better guitar solo on this song, OR a better Plant vocal.

I strongly disagree. JULY 28TH 1973!!!!!!!!!!! I defy you, on pain of death (not really, obviously), to find a better guitar solo on this song, OR a better Plant vocal.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get this recording then...

I find it hard to believe tho because Plant's voice was alot less banshee-like in 1973... and I prefer the 68-72 Plant over the 73 and on Plant. Thats all opinion tho.

I'll give it a listen and get back to you.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get this recording then...

I find it hard to believe tho because Plant's voice was alot less banshee-like in 1973... and I prefer the 68-72 Plant over the 73 and on Plant. Thats all opinion tho.

I'll give it a listen and get back to you.

I just listened to it.

I've narrowed down what it is that I hate about the later performances. Its Bonham's playing and arrangements.. During the first couple verses of the 73 show, he doesn't use the high-hat as much and the cymbals aren't as prominent. In the BBC Sessions one, it sounds alot less lazy because the cymbals are alot more prominent and Bonham hits the high-hats doubletime compared to in the later years... it seems to make the song go faster. Plant's lyrics are better in the BBC Sessions as well. The solo is pretty good in the 73 versions though. As a whole performance, I'm gonna have to stick with the BBC Sessions.

Just my opinion.

Archived