Glen Campbell's New Covers Album

Jahfin

From Reuters:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Rhinestone Cowboy is trying on some more fashionable threads.

Country singer/guitarist Glen Campbell is following in the footsteps of artists such as Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond by recording a new album designed to inspire a new generation of fans.

"Meet Glen Campbell," due in stores on August 19, features covers of tunes originally performed by the likes of the Foo Fighters ("Times Like These"), U2 ("All I Want Is You"), and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ("Walls"), his Capitol Records label said on Tuesday.

"I really like all of the songs and I had a great time recording them," Campbell, 72, said in a statement. "While I didn't write these songs, this sounds like a Glen Campbell album, which is important to me."

Left-field covers include Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)," the Velvet Underground's "Jesus," and the Replacements' "Sadly Beautiful."

No songs were written by Jimmy Webb, the man who gave Campbell such '60s hits as "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix." Campbell has often talked about reuniting with the songwriter.

"Meet Glen Campbell" marks his first release for Capitol since 1993's "Somebody Like That." Campbell has largely eschewed recording in order to focus on touring and playing to tourists at his theater in Branson, Mo.

From Reuters:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Rhinestone Cowboy is trying on some more fashionable threads.

Country singer/guitarist Glen Campbell is following in the footsteps of artists such as Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond by recording a new album designed to inspire a new generation of fans.

"Meet Glen Campbell," due in stores on August 19, features covers of tunes originally performed by the likes of the Foo Fighters ("Times Like These"), U2 ("All I Want Is You"), and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ("Walls"), his Capitol Records label said on Tuesday.

"I really like all of the songs and I had a great time recording them," Campbell, 72, said in a statement. "While I didn't write these songs, this sounds like a Glen Campbell album, which is important to me."

Left-field covers include Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)," the Velvet Underground's "Jesus," and the Replacements' "Sadly Beautiful."

No songs were written by Jimmy Webb, the man who gave Campbell such '60s hits as "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix." Campbell has often talked about reuniting with the songwriter.

"Meet Glen Campbell" marks his first release for Capitol since 1993's "Somebody Like That." Campbell has largely eschewed recording in order to focus on touring and playing to tourists at his theater in Branson, Mo.

Think I heard about this on my local station that played Rhinestone Cowboy the other day ( one of my favorite country songs along with ring of fire and folsom prison blues). Speaking of which, the last time I saw Glen in the news he was in a jail cell drunk with a DWI charge and singing to his fellow prison mates . lol

Johnny Cash is far more kickass than any other country musician, this dude included.

Sorry guy, but Glenn's acoustic playing makes Johnny look like a first year guitar student.

Sorry guy, but Glenn's acoustic playing makes Johnny look like a first year guitar student.

More Skilled does not equal better to listen to...but I suppose my comment may have came off as a little arrogant. If you enjoy his music more than Johnny's that's fine, I think Johnny was an amazing songwriter.

More Skilled does not equal better to listen to...but I suppose my comment may have came off as a little arrogant. If you enjoy his music more than Johnny's that's fine, I think Johnny was an amazing songwriter.

Okay....Johnny is by far the better songwriter, and Glenn is the better picker/player...Fair ?

Hi:

Well I wish him the best....

I have fond memories of the Glen Campbell Hour...it was on Sunday eve I believe. The musicians would sit around in a circle for part of the show and jam

I always liked his duet with Canadian songbird, Ann Murray. He was singing one tune while she sang a Burt Bacharah tune...Glen would sing a phrase from By The Time I Get to Phoenix..then Ann would sing a phrase from Say a Little Prayer...

Hey I think Robert and Alison should try a tune with that format...

juliet

I think that song Juliet just mentioned, By the Time I Get to Phoenix, is a wonderful song. So is Wichita Lineman.

Glen Campbell played bass for the Beach Boys in the early days for concerts when Brian Wilson wigged out.

One of my favorite covers is R.E.M. doing Wichita Lineman. They also do a bit of Galveston (also written by Jimmy Webb) in the documentary Rough Cut. They reference Galveston in their new song Houston.

Years ago I was watching an episode of Later with Bob Costa and in addition to Glen Campbell talking about his tenure with the Beach Boys he was also talking about how he got his start writing jingles. One of the first things he did in that regard was a commercial for Pepsodent. His co-writer on the project? None other than Leon Russell.

One of my favorite covers is R.E.M. doing Wichita Lineman. They also do a bit of Galveston (also written by Jimmy Webb) in the documentary Rough Cut. They reference Galveston in their new song Houston.

Years ago I was watching an episode of Later with Bob Costa and in addition to Glen Campbell talking about his tenure with the Beach Boys he was also talking about how he got his start writing jingles. One of the first things he did in that regard was a commercial for Pepsodent. His co-writer on the project? None other than Leon Russell.

I also enjoy Galveston muchly.

Too bad Glen didn't have a tube of Pepsodent when he was busted for DUI. He could've used it.

Archived