THE MARS VOLTA

AMAZONIC

The Mars Volta in Sydney on 19/06!!!

I like this band and have a couple of their cds, but never seen them live. Anyone here who has been to one of their concerts?

INERTIATIC... this song is awesome!

Haven't had the chance to see them live, nobody ever comes here. :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan though. I have all their cd's, a couple vinyls, and a few vinyls/cd's of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's music. If you haven't checked his solo stuff, DO IT. Especially Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo (The vinyl is BEAUTIFUL :D). Oh, and The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange, just because its name is absolutely amazing.

I find they have a very narrow musical palette. Everything seems to be just meandering around in a minor key. And their form of jamming doesn't ever seem to extend beyond screwing around with an echoplex and pick scrapes.

Now here's the type of band that will take ME a while to get under my skin.....but I'm getting there thru their Myspace!! :):)

Yes, some of their stuff is kinda "from another planet"... :blink:

But I have a bit of an idea of what their live shows might be by watching something in the youtube...

Pretty intense shows!

If I make it to go and see them on June 19th, I will tell you how it went.

If you haven't checked his solo stuff, DO IT. Especially Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo (The vinyl is BEAUTIFUL :D). Oh, and The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange, just because its name is absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the tip, Matthew. :) Next time I will hit the music store, I will get these cds.

And oh yes, the titles of their songs is just something :D

Seen Mars Volta about 10 times now...can say they are very intense live, with

Cedric being incredible to watch as he dances crazily around the stage....and

the drummer is incredible as well...well, he WAS that is, as Jon Theodore has

left the band since I saw them last, and been replaced by new drummer Blake

Fleming. I have yet to see Mars Volta in concert with the current line-up.

Omar can be an amazing guitar player, but as someone else noted, their "jams"

can sound a little one-note, with Omar going crazy on the effects, and they

never seem to hit a groove. They're too ADD for that.

Also, unless the sound is good in the venue, and you have good seats, you

may not hear all that is going on, what with all the percussion and horns and

such...the soundboard guy has to really be on his toes, or the band's sound

suffers in concert.

One thing I can say is that I am lucky in being from LA, as that means that John

Frusciante will show up and play at just about every Mars Volta gig they play; I

think of the 10 shows I've seen, John played at 8 of them.

In short, if you like their records and haven't seen them live, it is worth your

while to check them out...they play long(2 and 1/2 to 3 hours) and hard and

LOUD!

In short, if you like their records and haven't seen them live, it is worth your

while to check them out...they play long(2 and 1/2 to 3 hours) and hard and

LOUD!

You 've seen them 10 times!! Not bad, uh?

Thanks for your advice, Strider. I will definitely go and see them.

You say they play long, hard and LOUD ..well sounds gooooood to me.. :D

^^^Correction from above.

Thomas Pridgen is their current drummer, and was technically Theodore's replacement, but had prior obligations, and TMV were pretty well set to to tour. The guy had a Zildjian endorsement when he was 10, and accepted in to some crazy music school when he was 15. He's already a legend in drummer circles.

They are amazing live. I seen them just a month ago. No opening band, they came on at 8, and left the stage a little before 11:30.

They don't stray a whole lot from their studio album arrangements, but apparently Omar has his good and bad nights with the effects he choose.

^^^Correction from above.

Thomas Pridgen is their current drummer, and was technically Theodore's replacement, but had prior obligations, and TMV were pretty well set to to tour. The guy had a Zildjian endorsement when he was 10, and accepted in to some crazy music school when he was 15. He's already a legend in drummer circles.

They are amazing live. I seen them just a month ago. No opening band, they came on at 8, and left the stage a little before 11:30.

They don't stray a whole lot from their studio album arrangements, but apparently Omar has his good and bad nights with the effects he choose.

I thought so too, but I don't keep up to date enough to be sure. :P

I had heard he was a prodigy, but that is just amazing. :cheer: TMV's history of crazy ass drummers is one of the many things that keeps me hooked.

Two of my friends saw them live... just because they thought one of the guys was good looking :lol:. Personally, I can't see which one of them they would find attractive, sorry

:lol: Well, I guess they were certainly referring to Cedric, the singer.

I would describe him more as "intense" than good looking

73e9qbo.jpg

Two of my friends saw them live... just because they thought one of the guys was good looking :lol:. Personally, I can't see which one of them they would find attractive, sorry (and then when I invite them to see a group of actually good looking guys, they don't want to come :rolleyes: ).

I'll ask them what they thought. I've been meaning to have a listen to their stuff.

Sad commentary.

The American Idol effect has gone worldwide I see. I'd rather see an ugly band anyday, then I hear the music better, no superficial attractions.

The Mars Volta are outrageous on record, I can only imagine what they'd be like live.

Archived