Gold!

redrum

I'm thinking of buying a 1/4 ounce gold coin with my $300 tax rebate. That's all I'll ever be able to afford probably.

Anybody here buying gold? I hear it may get up to $2000 an ounce so it may be a good investment.

B)

I'm thinking of buying a 1/4 ounce gold coin with my $300 tax rebate. That's all I'll ever be able to afford probably.

Anybody here buying gold? I hear it may get up to $2000 an ounce so it may be a good investment.

B)

Looks like USA dollar wants to find a bottom here versus the Euro and Japanese Yen.If you think the Democrats going continue the wreckless boring and spending of the Republicans then maybe US Dollar has further to go on down side and Gold may go up

My sense is US Dollar on a technical basis is poised for a rally which might undermine the price of Gold in the next year or so but who knows?

Looks like USA dollar wants to find a bottom here versus the Euro and Japanese Yen.If you think the Democrats going continue the wreckless boring and spending of the Republicans then maybe US Dollar has further to go on down side and Gold may go up

Well 1 Australian Dollar is now worth 95cents American, which is unbelievable...

10 years ago the Australian Dollar used to be worth about 60 US cents

In fact in March 2001, 1 Australian Dollar was worth 48 cents

So in 7 years the Aust dollar have gone from being worth 48 cents to 95 cents...

Well 1 Australian Dollar is now worth 95cents American, which is unbelievable...

10 years ago the Australian Dollar used to be worth about 60 US cents

In fact in March 2001, 1 Australian Dollar was worth 48 cents

So in 7 years the Aust dollar have gone from being worth 48 cents to 95 cents...

The AUD was undervalued I guess :D

B)

As with any investment, it's your decision. My opinion is...if that is ALL you have to invest, I wouldn't buy gold coin. Usually when an investor buys gold, they need to have a secure place to store it. Although it would require a larger investment, you might be better off buying a gold fund or a precious metals fund. Precious metals are typically bought by people with more substantial assets and can handle (emotionally and financially) the ups and downs. Don't forget as quickly as it might go up, it can also go down. If you are just starting out, try a more traditional (conservative) approach like an S&P 500 Indexed fund.

I was thinking that these new "Forever" postal stamps would be a good investment. You pay the current price for them, and they're usable as the normal postage for good, I'm told. So with the cost of transportation soaring, you would think that stamp prices should skyrocket along with everything else related to fuel costs. Buy now, sell later. Assuming the glue is forever, too?

If you go and sell your gold, or pawn it off or whatever, shop around. My mom just sold some and got LOTS more at one place than another was buying it for, and the rates for gold had gone up, they just were'nt buying it for what they should now.

As with any investment, it's your decision. My opinion is...if that is ALL you have to invest, I wouldn't buy gold coin. Usually when an investor buys gold, they need to have a secure place to store it. Although it would require a larger investment, you might be better off buying a gold fund or a precious metals fund. Precious metals are typically bought by people with more substantial assets and can handle (emotionally and financially) the ups and downs. Don't forget as quickly as it might go up, it can also go down. If you are just starting out, try a more traditional (conservative) approach like an S&P 500 Indexed fund.

Maybe I should just buy some gold paint. :D

I know nothing about any of this.

:huh:

Anyone see that episode of M*A*S*H where they painted everything gold, just to drive a certain greedy major nuts? :lol:

That was Frank who thought he'd found the El Dorado of Korea. :D

He was my fave character.

Redrum, if you're not experienced with trading (yes, even in tangible commodities) I would avoid the gold. Coins and jewellery (diamonds and precious gems) are never an investment. Think "they are only valuable if you can find a buyer". Get a high yield ING Savings account (no fees) and take the time to educate yourself.

Good Luck.

Archived