BIGLY flat or fingerpicked?

Bluesyzep

Just started learning Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. I was surprised to see that Jimmy played it on the Les Paul but more importantly I'd like to know if he fingerpicks it or uses a flat pick. Hard to tell with what I've seen so far. Thanks for any help. B)

Just started learning Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. I was surprised to see that Jimmy played it on the Les Paul but more importantly I'd like to know if he fingerpicks it or uses a flat pick. Hard to tell with what I've seen so far. Thanks for any help. B)

I'm a little confused as to which version you are referring to - obviously you have seen a live version somewhere with Page using the Les Paul, probably from the post-Zeppelin era. As far as I know the only time they played it live as Zeppelin was in 68/69 and Page used his Tele.

The original studio recording was made with an acoustic guitar, and sounds to me fingerpicked, maybe with a thumb pick or something. You should play it whatever way you feel most comfortable, it's not an easy song as the chord changes and picking pattern are a bit of a challenge.

I'm a little confused as to which version you are referring to - obviously you have seen a live version somewhere with Page using the Les Paul, probably from the post-Zeppelin era. As far as I know the only time they played it live as Zeppelin was in 68/69 and Page used his Tele.

The original studio recording was made with an acoustic guitar, and sounds to me fingerpicked, maybe with a thumb pick or something. You should play it whatever way you feel most comfortable, it's not an easy song as the chord changes and picking pattern are a bit of a challenge.

Page played it on acoustic at the P & P Sydney concert '96.

Finger picking.

However, in San Diego '98 he played it on his Les Paul.

I know this as fact, I saw them in Sydney and watched a DVD of San Diego only a matter of days ago.

Thank for the tips. No kidding about the changes. I've been trying to figure out the first 12 measures. Tough. :o I've tried it both ways and decided to stick with fingerpicking.

Make sure you get a good tab because I have seen some bad ones out there. For example when the heavy bit kicks in it should be;

----------------------

-1-1-1-8-6----------

-2-2-2-9-7----------

-2-2-2-7-7----------

-0-0-0-0-0----------

----------------------

and not any number of other stupid ways people have tabbed it. Good luck

Make sure you get a good tab because I have seen some bad ones out there. For example when the heavy bit kicks in it should be;

----------------------

-1-1-1-8-6----------

-2-2-2-9-7----------

-2-2-2-7-7----------

-0-0-0-0-0----------

----------------------

and not any number of other stupid ways people have tabbed it. Good luck

I lean more towards Jimmy's acoustic stuff and am using the Acoustic Classics 1 and 2 which have the tab and notation. I'll compare what you have.

I lean more towards Jimmy's acoustic stuff and am using the Acoustic Classics 1 and 2 which have the tab and notation. I'll compare what you have.

OK good, i have seen tabs on the net which are wrong, and have that heavy part played with the same chords as the intro which is incorrect, and missed out much of the 'light and shade' of that section.

Hello Bluesyzep,

Yeah this is a tricky one, a lot of people who are awesome at guitar (I'm not bad but not awesome) may not think it's tricky, but yeah it takes some time.

I have seen some vids on youtube of one or two people finger picking it, I learned it with a pick and I remember thinking before I learned it "I can't do that" but it's like anything, with enough practice it will eventually start to take shape.

I always think it a great feeling when you learn something which takes quite a bit of practice and I always feel proud that I taught myself the guitar, I imagine a lot of people on here taught themselves. So yeah, I used a pick. But it's whatever you feel most comfortable with dude.

Cheers

I think, Jimmy fingerpicked it and I do it like that too. I think it is easier that way, you are much faster and you get the right strings better.

Anyway, I'm definitely not a genius on the guitar but I learned it in two weeks...

So, good luck and have fun!!! :D :D :D

Peace,

the girl with caleidoscope eyes :hippy:

Thanks for the replies. I worked most of the weekend on the first 23 measures and can play it fairly quickly now. My instructor assigned it to me at the last minute and have pretty much been left to figure it out on my own. I've tried OTHAFA and Bron Yr Aur with limited success previously but have had better luck this time. I spent the last 3 weeks learning fingerpicking. The most important lesson so far I think. A confidence builder that I needed. :D

er... what is OTHFA?

I play Bron Yr Aur too, if you can BIGLY, it is really not to complicated. I love Jimmy's acoustic songs and technique even though i play electric in main.

Keep on rocking, man! :lol:

Over The Hills and Far Away (OTHAFA). Hope to pickup on Bron Yr Aur again soon.

I probably played acoustic 90% when I had the old Les Paul. With the new Les Paul I'm probably down to 80%. I just love the simplicity of a nice acoustic. I went out of town on short notice recently. Just grab the case and go. B)

Over The Hills and Far Away (OTHAFA). Hope to pickup on Bron Yr Aur again soon.

I probably played acoustic 90% when I had the old Les Paul. With the new Les Paul I'm probably down to 80%. I just love the simplicity of a nice acoustic. I went out of town on short notice recently. Just grab the case and go. B)

Alright!

Back to the roots! One of my most psychedelic experiences (no drugs,man) was playing Bron-Yr-Aur on my beloved Sally (my acou's name) on a lonely place in the mountains when all the others were gone. That's the very escence of this song, innit?

Yes, Jimmy fingerpicks it. What's really fun about BIGLY (for me at least), is when you get further into the song (Like when Robert sings "Woman. Woman".), Jimmy changes up the chords in some really cool ways. When I'm not feeling so lazy I'll write it down and scan it for you (I HATE internet tab). :beer:

Yes, Jimmy fingerpicks it. What's really fun about BIGLY (for me at least), is when you get further into the song (Like when Robert sings "Woman. Woman".), Jimmy changes up the chords in some really cool ways. When I'm not feeling so lazy I'll write it down and scan it for you (I HATE internet tab). :beer:

I'm with you Ev!

I've struggled for years with The Rain Song, you know the "I've felt the coldness of my winter..." part.

Tabs and even sheet music doesn't seem to be right (or is it just me!?).

Please Help, I'd like to be able to play it complete before I die!

The acoustic classics books seem to be working out pretty good. Strangely, it doesn't have Bron Yr Aur which is the only internet tab I've tried. We figured out pretty quickly that there were parts missing and that I needed to learn to fingerpick. I ordered the Physical Graffitti book (got it today) since all the other fake books only have Bron Yr Aur Stomp.

On BIGLY I've just got up to the first heavy section. I'll keep an ear out for the part you mentioned. Sounds interesting. B)

I'm with you Ev!

I've struggled for years with The Rain Song, you know the "I've felt the coldness of my winter..." part.

Tabs and even sheet music doesn't seem to be right (or is it just me!?).

Please Help, I'd like to be able to play it complete before I die!

A couple of questions first. Do you play the studio or the live version? Also, do you use the tuning or play it in standard tuning? The reason I ask is that when I was a teenager figuring the song out, I had no idea it was an open tuning, so I figured out a way to play it in standard. And believe me, it's a bitch, lol! By the time I became aware of the tuning, it was so ingrained in my mind, I never took the time to re-learn it. Anyway, I play the version from TSRTS soundtrack, which is in A. The tuning would be EADADE. For the studio version, drop it down a whole step. I do have the sheet music from Guitar World which I can scan and post if you'd like.

A couple of questions first. Do you play the studio or the live version? Also, do you use the tuning or play it in standard tuning? The reason I ask is that when I was a teenager figuring the song out, I had no idea it was an open tuning, so I figured out a way to play it in standard. And believe me, it's a bitch, lol! By the time I became aware of the tuning, it was so ingrained in my mind, I never took the time to re-learn it. Anyway, I play the version from TSRTS soundtrack, which is in A. The tuning would be EADADE. For the studio version, drop it down a whole step. I do have the sheet music from Guitar World which I can scan and post if you'd like.

Thanks mate.

I play it in open G tuning (internet tab) I also play part of Wonderful One in the same tuning, where's that twin neck acoustic when you need it!

It sounds fine until I reach that confounded bridge!

When I listen to the song, apart from the subtle notes Jimmy plays it sounds like he is playing chords.

The sheet music would be great.

Cheers.

Here ya go Reg. Now this is transposed from live version, so the notes on the staff are in A, and the fills may differ from the studio version. But the tab shows the correct fretting. It should at least help you get your head around what's he's up to.

Cheers! :beer:

RainSong1.jpg

RainSong2.jpg