I need help with a Trigenometry problem

JimmyPageZoSo56

For extra credit for my Trig. class, I need to explain why sine divided cosine always equals tangent. Does somebody know for sure so I can double check my work? I have a pretty good idea why, but I am not 100% sure. This is what I have:

SOH-CAH-TOA

Sin = opposite/hypotenuse

Cos = adjacent/hypotenuse

Tan= opposite/adjacent

So, (O/H) divided by (A/H) = O/A

because the H cancels out.

If you can help, that'll be great! It will be much appreciated.

Looks good to me. Substitute in some numbers and see how it goes.

This might be a bad piece of advice at the moment to give you, but I can honestly say that since I left school I have never used calculus or trig.

Sine, Cosine and Tangent are trigonometric functions use in solving problems involving a right triangle which is a three sided figure with one angle equal to 90 degrees. (A 90 degree angle is called a right angle.) We define the side of the triangle opposite from the right angle to be the hypotenuse, "h". It is the longest side of the three sides of the right triangle. We pick one of the other two angles and label it b. We don't have to worry about the other angle because the sum of the 3 angles of a triangle is equal to 180 degrees. There is a side opposite the angle "b" which we designate o for "opposite". The remaining side we label a for "adjacent", since there are two sides of the triangle which form the angle "b". One is "h" the hypotenuse, and the other is "a" the adjacent. So the three sides of our triangle are "o", "a" and "h", with "a" and "h" forming the angle "b".

Sine, Cosine and Tangent. They are just the length of one side divided by another ... you just have to know which sides!

In relation to the angle θ :

Sine Function: sin(θ) = Opposite / Hypotenuse

Cosine Function: cos(θ) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse

Tangent Function: tan(θ) = Opposite / Adjacent

Sohcahtoa

Sohcahtoa? Just an easy way to remember which side to divide by which! Like this:

Soh... Sine = Opposite / Hypotenuse

...cah... Cosine = Adjacent / Hypotenuse

...toa Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

Remember "sohcahtoa"

sine sine

tangent undefined

the slope of the secant line is breaking my mind

do this dont divide by zero

cant you find the cosine

To the music of "Signs" by The Five man Electrical Band

Yeah, corny I know :rolleyes:

Sine, Cosine and Tangent are trigonometric functions use in solving problems involving a right triangle which is a three sided figure with one angle equal to 90 degrees. (A 90 degree angle is called a right angle.) We define the side of the triangle opposite from the right angle to be the hypotenuse, "h". It is the longest side of the three sides of the right triangle. We pick one of the other two angles and label it b. We don't have to worry about the other angle because the sum of the 3 angles of a triangle is equal to 180 degrees. There is a side opposite the angle "b" which we designate o for "opposite". The remaining side we label a for "adjacent", since there are two sides of the triangle which form the angle "b". One is "h" the hypotenuse, and the other is "a" the adjacent. So the three sides of our triangle are "o", "a" and "h", with "a" and "h" forming the angle "b".

Sine, Cosine and Tangent. They are just the length of one side divided by another ... you just have to know which sides!

In relation to the angle θ :

Sine Function: sin(θ) = Opposite / Hypotenuse

Cosine Function: cos(θ) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse

Tangent Function: tan(θ) = Opposite / Adjacent

Sohcahtoa

Sohcahtoa? Just an easy way to remember which side to divide by which! Like this:

Soh... Sine = Opposite / Hypotenuse

...cah... Cosine = Adjacent / Hypotenuse

...toa Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

Remember "sohcahtoa"

yup, I know all of that stuff. i just couldnt figure out that problem.And I got it right, so thank you very, very much!

Archived