Telecaster Bass

danelectro59

I have a dispute with a friend of mine.

I say that Fender used to make a Telecaster Bass way back when,

and he says i'm full of it. I distinctly remember because of the smaller headstock, but he says it was just an older edition of the P bass. I know i'm not crazy, so if someone could help me out, i'd appreciate it.

Sting is probably one of the highest profile musicians who uses a Telecaster bass.

No, Sting's is the early Precision.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0251902303

That's the thing - the 60's Telecaster bass was modelled on the early 50's Precision.

JPJ had one as well, & his was also an original Precision, not a later Telecaster bass.

Edited by huw

Someone on another (non music) forum said they saw Glenn Hughes at B.B. Kings, and he is and always was much better than Roger Glover. I'm not a big DP fan, but love some of their songs, and always thought Glover was their prominent bassist - stuff like "Highway Star" and "Space Trucking" is amazing. I think I've seen Hughes listed as a member of another group that I'd call total crap - so what's the deal on this?

Someone on another (non music) forum said they saw Glenn Hughes at B.B. Kings, and he is and always was much better than Roger Glover. I'm not a big DP fan, but love some of their songs, and always thought Glover was their prominent bassist - stuff like "Highway Star" and "Space Trucking" is amazing. I think I've seen Hughes listed as a member of another group that I'd call total crap - so what's the deal on this?

It's hard for a bassist to cut through in a riffy band with a fulltime keyboardist.

It's hard for a bassist to cut through in a riffy band with a fulltime keyboardist.

Huh? I love Jon Lord's keyboard playing, and most of what I've heard from the other various members - but don't hear any of that interfering with the bass work. Maybe the singer can be annoying, at times? I'm just asking - how do you guys feel about Glenn Hughes vs. Roger Glover?

• 2 weeks later...
?? What do you mean?

For starters, I kept asking about Phil Hughes - because someone on another forum that I was talking to brought up his name for the first time, that I have heard. This same guy claimed that Roger Glover was an amataur, compared to him. But no one here has replied, as to back that claim up? No big thing, just wondering if the guy is that good???

Well, I like them both. They were different eras and had different strengths. Hughes is a good bass player plus has a killer voice. Glover's contibutions can't be overlooked either. Played on some of the greatest classic rock anthems ever and is always solid.

Wasn't it Trapeze that Hughes was in before DP?

Anyway, I just thought I remembered seeing Hughes playing a Tele long ago.