The Tea Party

statism

I've never listened to these guys before but holy shit they are spectacular. I've seriously been missing out!!! :ahhh:

How exciting! Start at the beginning and take your time. There's so much good stuff.

For me splendor solis is the best led zeppelin album that led zeppelin didn't make...if that makes any sense whatsoever.

How exciting! Start at the beginning and take your time. There's so much good stuff.

For me splendor solis is the best led zeppelin album that led zeppelin didn't make...if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Oh trust me I will! I'll definitely enjoy myself while working through their material. That makes complete sense, I getcha man. Excited to get started on their stuff!!

welcome to the Tea Party Icordo, like yourself I`m new to the band have you gotten the new album yet...

I did! I haven't gotten to listen to it yet, I'm working my way through their stuff chronologically. And might I add that the whole Transmission album is fuckin heavy :thumbsup:

well I`m so surprize how much underrated Jeff Burrows is, what a absolutely fanatic drummer he is each album I`ve listened to he seems to push it up another gear, well IMHO he is up there with Bonham/Moon/Baker. wow this band shouldn't be so underrate by the music buying people they should be huge in the same league as Zeppelin IMHO, which isn't set in stone its just mine to be honest I`ve not gotten many Canada bands in my collection but the ones I`ve gotten IMHO are the very top of there musical game as the bands are Rush, BTOD and the Tea Party so that`s my point of view...

well I`m so surprize how much underrated Jeff Burrows is, what a absolutely fanatic drummer he is each album I`ve listened to he seems to push it up another gear, well IMHO he is up there with Bonham/Moon/Baker. wow this band shouldn't be so underrate by the music buying people they should be huge in the same league as Zeppelin IMHO, which isn't set in stone its just mine to be honest I`ve not gotten many Canada bands in my collection but the ones I`ve gotten IMHO are the very top of there musical game as the bands are Rush, BTOD and the Tea Party so that`s my point of view...

Here is another one of my musical stories for you, in Canada we use to have a place called Sam The Record Man, they were the best places. They would always have one in the downtown core of whatever city. In Halifax they had one which was 4 floors right in the heart of the city. I was in there one day because they had something called "The Cargo Catalogue" where you could special order rare stuff and imports from Europe and Asian (this was before the Internet). I'm in there one day, and hear some guys not much older then me, and they setup and play an acoustic in-store set. They had no record deal, and it was The Tea Party. I bought there indie album which was 12 songs on CD that day. That album album was stolen when my home was broken into 5 years ago never to be seen again. Anyways, the band told me they were playing this gig at a place called the Double Deuce in Halifax that night. So I went, and was an instant believer in Jeff Burrows because he could pull it off live. This was back around 91 or 92 or something. On each album which followed, Jeff Burrows developed a style all of his own. But he clearly comes from the power and swagger school of Bonham and does it so well at a gig. Sometimes I think Burrows is the glue that sort of keeps the band grounded. I have a special place in my heart for drummers because they keep the groove going and people in the crowd sort of ignore them for whatever reason.

I think Burrows is ignored because he is a Canuck. I listen to Sirirus XM radio in my car everyday, and I listen to Planetrock all of the time online, and Canadian bands are simply ignored. It's always been this way, even The Guess Who have never been inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame which sort of proves my point.

Here is another one of my musical stories for you, in Canada we use to have a place called Sam The Record Man, they were the best places. They would always have one in the downtown core of whatever city. In Halifax they had one which was 4 floors right in the heart of the city. I was in there one day because they had something called "The Cargo Catalogue" where you could special order rare stuff and imports from Europe and Asian (this was before the Internet). I'm in there one day, and hear some guys not much older then me, and they setup and play an acoustic in-store set. They had no record deal, and it was The Tea Party. I bought there indie album which was 12 songs on CD that day. That album album was stolen when my home was broken into 5 years ago never to be seen again. Anyways, the band told me they were playing this gig at a place called the Double Deuce in Halifax that night. So I went, and was an instant believer in Jeff Burrows because he could pull it off live. This was back around 91 or 92 or something. On each album which followed, Jeff Burrows developed a style all of his own. But he clearly comes from the power and swagger school of Bonham and does it so well at a gig. Sometimes I think Burrows is the glue that sort of keeps the band grounded. I have a special place in my heart for drummers because they keep the groove going and people in the crowd sort of ignore them for whatever reason.

I think Burrows is ignored because he is a Canuck. I listen to Sirirus XM radio in my car everyday, and I listen to Planetrock all of the time online, and Canadian bands are simply ignored. It's always been this way, even The Guess Who have never been inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame which sort of proves my point.

Amazing story Charles! I could never believe seeing them that early in a store! You are one lucky man sir

Woke up this morning to my Blackberry ringing at 4:58 AM from some dude in the UK (who forgets that Canada, and more specifically Nova Scotia although on the North Atlantic is not in the same time zone…I lay there after getting off the phone and wonder if I really want to get up this early, suddenly an epiphany pops in my head – Today’s The Tea Party gig, not just any gig, but the first time they have toured in 10 years, and are actually promoting a kick ass album to boot. Suddenly all of this gigs I saw in the past come flooding back into my head, and I feel like the 13 year old kid all over again, travelling around Canada with his older cousin following another band around. Wow, amazing what a day that you have a gig to attend, changes everything. 12 hours earlier, Sarah McLachlan was most likely getting ready to choose her stage outfit for her show at the Halifax Scotiabank Center - although her music is relaxing like ‘ice cream’, pardon the pun; she lacks the power to really satisfy a music craving. I head into Halifax to deal with a client issue, and my phone rings. The local ski shop is calling me on Quinpool Rd, my son’s race skis are ready to be picked up from a tuning for the upcoming race season. As I make my way to the ski shop, I pass by the venue for tonight’s gig and everything seems so quiet, there is a light mist and rain with plenty of cloud; almost a sign of the upcoming contrast tonight between the light and shade, the power and the caress of the sexual energy generated around rock n roll. I pass by a musical store, and see a guitar in the window which reminds me of another guitar hero from another band who I was thinking of last night as I examined a guitar for sale on E-bay. That sense of excitement starts to build in my head, and I find myself wondering what the set list will be, and wondering how long the gig will go for. As I’m driving back to the office, after picking up the skis, I notice someone jogging outside, and I laugh, thinking at least someone else is worried about getting old like me. For some reason, I turn off Howard Stern, and turn on terrestrial radio. At the very moment I switch from satelight to terrestrial, I hear Q104 talking about the The Tea Party gig, and wonder how it’s possible for the musical stars in the universe to align in the manner that they do in such a way that I happen to hear it at the very moment after what just happened a few moments ago. My phone rings, and I snap back into the reality of work, and driving to the office. I’ll fill in the rest of this tonight after the gig.

Edited by Charles J. White

Drive from Cow Bay into Halifax by myself across the MacDonald Bridge in the pouring rain. Park the car maybe 100 yards from the venue. Walk in as the opening act is getting up on the stage, an amazing band which I’m hearing for the first time who are called Alert the Medic. I like them so much that after they leave the stage I buy there album “The Phantom Movies” and the singer signed it for me, and thanked me for buying it. He was a nice fellow who ended the chat by saying, “I wish there was more guys like you still buying music” which made my inner 13 year old proud.

The Tea Party come out to “The L.O.C” from the new album, and Jeff Martin is lighting up the guitar, Stuart Chatwood is driving the pace, and Jeff Burrows is just warming up. As the set progresses, I’m delighted to see that the band appear to be playing material from every album. 58 minutes into what was at that point the single greatest Tea Party gig I have ever been to, comes to a crashing end with Jeff Martin blowing a vocal cord, a look of extreme discomfort immediately appears on Jeff Martin’s face and he quickly walks off the stage. His bandmates following behind him. After maybe 10 minutes, Burrows walks on the stage and apologizes and asks the audience to sing along because they are going to have to focus on the music with Martin singing very very little. The good news, the epic song, “The Ocean at the End” even in this alternative version with little vocals sounded great, and I could tell the show was going to come to a crashing end as Jeff Martin appeared to be in a lot of pain and maybe 10 minutes after the re-start, the show came to a close. So here is what I can say, Jeff Burrows without a doubt IS THE SINGLE LIVING GREATEST DRUMMER ON THE PLANET. He had all of his powers and swing in full command and was clearly the captain driving the ship we call The Tea Party. Stuart Chatwood was throwing in background vocals throughout the set which was really nice addition to the show and was all smiles from start to end. Jeff Martin looked extremely healthy and appears to have tried and cleaned himself up and he was all smiles, and sounded great. He was chatted with the audience between all of the songs which showed a more positive frame of mind he finds himself in. There was a point in the short set where I distinctly saw him crying during the song, Waters on Fire from the new album; leading into “Waters on Fire” Martin talked about how his mother had died this year, and he briefly mentioned that his song spoke to a truth about himself. The song “Save Me”, opened with esraj which was exciting, of course, the people standing around me thought it was a sitar but oh well what can you do – as the song progressed, he pulled out the bow and just went to town on the guitar with it. After the gig, I came across Jeff Burrows and we shook hands which was nice with just quick chat. Hope the band plan another gig for Halifax soon to make it right with a full on set list. As I walked back to my car, wondering if I will have to wait another 10 years. Sitting in my car for 20 minutes thinking about the night’s events. Resign myself to driving back home alone and as I park the car in Cow Bay, looking up at the sky, every star in the universe can be seen, and I smile to myself thinking another weird night in my life just happened. Walking in the house, I hear the sounds of the ocean, and think, The Ocean At the End indeed.

wow sounds like the tea party show was an amazing highlight wish I was there too...

It was, until the whole gig came crashing to an end. Almost every band I'm into either skips Halifax, comes to Halifax once every 10 to 15 years, or a gig ends early because of health things that a musician can't help like which happened last night. I don't get it, it's odd but as Frank Sinatra sang, That's Life!

Wow Charles, that's definitely a unique show! That's cool you got to meet Burrows for a short second. I could imagine how much pain Jeff would be in after blowing a vocal chord, yikes. No doubt they'll come back and play again for you guys! They possibly couldn't just leave and forget about that show...

On another note, I was just thinking how sick that would be if The Tea Party would open with the L.o.C and have it mixed in with the Song Remains the Same, like intersperse TSRTS in the L.o.C... Extend the 4 minute opener into a six or seven minute onslaught. I could picture inbetween the verses and choruses Jeff could put in some TSRTS inspired solos and the like. Just a thought that would be sweet to see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYc0_aNF_kI