Rock and Roll

kashmiran

It's a tune that definitely seemed to work better as an encore rather than an opener, IMO. Some of those '75 versions, Plant's voice is so shot it's goddamn painful to listen to!

Must be said, not a big fan of the song live. I prefer the coked up swagger of the studio take. YMMV of course...

QIA, i always thought myself too the studio version was not really matched live, i do though like the Knebworth version on the DVD, and i too agree about those '75 versions, i usually skip that opening song tbh...

Yeah some of those 80 tour versions are really strong with Robert singing the lines like he did pre 73, like Frankfurt, and maybe Munich, too. Plant was starting to find his high range again right when Zep crashed & burned. He was even singing the ending to Stairway in the higher register then.

• 3 weeks later...

Live Aid! :P

agree with those who say the studio version cant be beat, have never heard a live version that tops it. I remember when i first got into zep in the early 90s and watched TSRTS for the first time, obviously was expecting plant to sing rock and roll like the studio version, i was like "what the hell is this??????????????"

the australian clip from the dvd is a great version

Agreed. While I do like the song as an opener, the 75 versions are pretty shotty to put it mildly. I do like the 77+ versions with the extended "Lonely lonely lonely" bit at the end. B)

Yeah, Plant didn't warm up his voice, they just got out of the limo and walked on stage. So the opening line of the song was usually pretty bad, full of voice cracks, almost to the point of being comical. 3/14/75 in San Diego, the beginning is hilarious.

Archived