How big was the band Rainbow?

Rainbow in the very early 80's were pulling in decent crowds in the states, the venue here held 18.000 and I remember it was about 3/4 full, so maybe 13.000, not bad. but they were huge in Europe pulling in large crowds on most tours, I think they were biggest in Japan, those concerts I heard were all sell outs, at one show there were some people who got crushed to death.

I have seen them many times, a great live band, one of the better ones I have seen over the years, when Blackmore was on he was really something to watch and hear.

Catch the Rainbow and The Temple of the King are very good songs.

They might be best known for Man on the Silver Mountain.

Rainbow wasn't huge in the US, but were very popular among the "stoners".

I'm a fan of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow more then any other Rainbow. :)

I'm a huge fan of the dio era...Rainbow On Stage is one of my all time favorite live albums

Yeah, On Stage is great! Love that album.. It was a looong time ago since I last heard it.. Isn't there a version of Deep Purple's Mistreated on it too, or have I totally lost it?

Yeah, On Stage is great! Love that album.. It was a looong time ago since I last heard it.. Isn't there a version of Deep Purple's Mistreated on it too, or have I totally lost it?

I've heard a version of the song Mistreated by Rainbow but I never knew that it was originally by Deep Purple.

I believe You are right but You have brought to My attention that when my cassette tape blew up I have never replaced it I believe I have all of the other Rainbow cds including a few boots all pretty good some excellent. Also I noticed someone posted something about only liking the Ritchie Blackmore Rainbow stuff as for as I know Rainbow was 100% Ritchies solo band they as for as I know never did anything without His precence.Please correct Me if I am wrong.

I've heard a version of the song Mistreated by Rainbow but I never knew that it was originally by Deep Purple.

It was on Burn if my memory serves me correct, and was written by Blackmore/Coverdale. Also, David Coverdale brought it with him when he formed Whitesnake and it became a consert favorite within the Whitesnake crowd. There is a great version of Mistreated on Live In The Heart Of The City, the double live album Whitesnake recorded in the early 80's.

I believe You are right but You have brought to My attention that when my cassette tape blew up I have never replaced it I believe I have all of the other Rainbow cds including a few boots all pretty good some excellent. Also I noticed someone posted something about only liking the Ritchie Blackmore Rainbow stuff as for as I know Rainbow was 100% Ritchies solo band they as for as I know never did anything without His precence.Please correct Me if I am wrong.

Yes, I have never heard of any Rainbow line-up without Blackmore. It was definitely his project, kind of like if Whitesnake would go on without Coverdale. :D

That was me and I was referring to the 1975 album by the name of "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow".

Sorry for the confusion.

rainbow_ritchie_blackmores_rainbow_1975.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rainbow rising has in my mind contain some of the heavest rock ever without being metal..classic stuff.

here is a list of the members at diff times for Rainbow, makes deep purple a stable band in comparrison :D

Vocals : Ronnie James Dio · Graham Bonnet · Joe Lynn Turner · Doogie White

Bass : Craig Gruber · Jimmy Bain · Mark Clarke · Bob Daisley · Roger Glover · Greg Smith

Drums : Gary Driscoll · Cozy Powell · Bobby Rondinelli · Chuck Burgi · John O'Reilly · John Miceli ·

Keyboards : Micky Lee Soule · Tony Carey · David Stone · Don Airey · David Rosenthal · Paul Morris

The only consistant was Ritchie himself !!

As someone said up untill 1980 they were big in Europe, but Ritchie I think wanted to crack the U.S market and wanted to go down a more commercial poppier rock route to cater for the States with shorte songs like Street of Dreams, Since You been gone etc.

Blackmore desloved Rainbow late 1983 early 94 to rejoin Deep Purple, once he left purple again in 1993 he got Rainbow back together between 94 to 97 and did on album : Stranger in Us All which had all new members in it (although Chuck Burgi did tour with them on drums who did apeear on latter day rainbow albums in the early 80's Bent out of Shape), its a good album and knocks the socks off latter day Rainbow in the 80's (the JLT years :), its worth a check out if never heard !

Would love ritchie to drop the wandering mintral guise he has now and do one more rainbow album/tour, but i think he has well and trully moved on from his rock roots now.

As one of their songs says...Long live rock and Roll :)

• 5 months later...
In about 1982 or 83 (I forget) Tony Iommi asked David Coverdale to join Sabbath and was turned down....so they brought it Ian Gillan.

can't imagine coverdale singing with sabbath

i wish I could go back to '82 when it was not cool to hate chart music. the tarts from that era now ....

sorry, Lalena just come on. It's horrible

Archived