Which Vinyl is better?

Hey everyone!

I'm wanting to increase my Led Zeppelin catalog. As of now I have all studio and live albums on CD. I also have Led Zeppelin I in a very used condition on vinyl. I would like to own pretty much anything Zep I can find on vinyl, but I don't think any of us have that type of money.

So I wanted to know, which would be a better find and have a better value...first issues of all albums in US, Japan, or UK? Would that still have a better value than the 200gram out of print remasters of all the albums? (All of these are considering Still Sealed condition). I figured that any out of print albums would have a better value but I wanted to check with some of the bigger zep audiophiles out there.

-Thanks

Investment. I wanna be able to pass it down to my kids. I'll buy some other LZ vinyls for them to listen to cause ya know they're gonna be rockin out to some Zep!

Excellent idea. Buy new copies as ones to put up and used as ones to listen to.

As an investment I would recommend the 200-gram remasters to start. Then when you have the money start finding the rare originals or first pressings. Look for the albums that are still sealed. Opened records depreciate in value tremendously unless they are so rare that people will pay money for them no matter what kind of condition they are in.

Really though, first pressings are your best investment and they are hard to find. But every now and then a real gem will come along. The remasters are fetching a pretty penny at the moment though.

As an investment I would recommend the 200-gram remasters to start. Then when you have the money start finding the rare originals or first pressings. Look for the albums that are still sealed. Opened records depreciate in value tremendously unless they are so rare that people will pay money for them no matter what kind of condition they are in.

Really though, first pressings are your best investment and they are hard to find. But every now and then a real gem will come along. The remasters are fetching a pretty penny at the moment though.

So glad I got in early!!! It's a shame Classic Records has discontinued this line. I don't care about value personally, just having it! I built a whole system with a new turntable just for it.

Zeppelin catalog by Classic Records. Thanks guys!

MyStation006.jpg

After or before purchasing the Classic Records series I would recommend the Japanese AMJY or Final Vinyl series as it's sometimes called. True audiophile recordings! Getting sealed copies is a problem but getting NM copies is still possible (except LZ III which I can't get a good copy of for love nor money :angry: )

Iamjy2000b.jpg

Picture courtesy of LukeTheDukes website: The biggest Led Zeppelin discography on the web ...

... and don't waste money on the turquoise UK first album ...

Please, consider that the only real investment you can do is in posters ... I pretty know the albums market but I don't see any way to make money (sooner or later) with vinyl ...

Ah, just to say, I own 1000 albums and 400 singles (led zeppelin, only) ... and I confirm what I said B)

The 200 gram is hard to do, but totally worth it. SO is the first pressing thing though. If you take good care of your older vinyl, get the first pressing and listen to them, and get the 200 and leave it sealed.

Awesome guys! Thanks a bunch!

I'm not sure what I'll do just yet. Got a record store here locally, but no real treasures just yet. What are the value on test pressings? I found a test pressing of a 200 gram album SS and was curious.

Thanks guys!

Awesome guys! Thanks a bunch!

I'm not sure what I'll do just yet. Got a record store here locally, but no real treasures just yet. What are the value on test pressings? I found a test pressing of a 200 gram album SS and was curious.

Thanks guys!

50$-100$

depending on the seller

what is the difference between 200 gram & 180 gram????????

Hi. I have Japanese first pressings of Zepp 1, 2, 3 and 4. The Zepp 3 has an interesting insert with lyrics "transcribed" by obviously some Japanese record company employee who was ordered to do so. Poor guy (or gal)!, as you know Plant's lyrics can be hard to discern, especially of English isn't your first language. He made some real howlers, and made up a lot of it - his "best fit" of his English ability and what he could hear. I know these are all first editions by the way. How? - I hear you ask. I lived in Japan from 1989 to 2001 and these were handed down to me by an old friend who vouched for their authenticity, along with many other 12 inchers from a whole slew of 60's and 70's bands (including a mono lp of the Stones's "Now" lp. On Zepp 4, or 3, can't remember and it's too late in the evening to start rummaging in my archives it states J. Page and R. Prant as composers of some songs. Yes, you read correctly, Prant. Hilarious, but true. If you find this remotely interesting, let me know and I'd be glad to provide any additional information. KB.

Hi. I have Japanese first pressings of Zepp 1, 2, 3 and 4. The Zepp 3 has an interesting insert with lyrics "transcribed" by obviously some Japanese record company employee who was ordered to do so. Poor guy (or gal)!, as you know Plant's lyrics can be hard to discern, especially of English isn't your first language. He made some real howlers, and made up a lot of it - his "best fit" of his English ability and what he could hear. I know these are all first editions by the way. How? - I hear you ask. I lived in Japan from 1989 to 2001 and these were handed down to me by an old friend who vouched for their authenticity, along with many other 12 inchers from a whole slew of 60's and 70's bands (including a mono lp of the Stones's "Now" lp. On Zepp 4, or 3, can't remember and it's too late in the evening to start rummaging in my archives it states J. Page and R. Prant as composers of some songs. Yes, you read correctly, Prant. Hilarious, but true. If you find this remotely interesting, let me know and I'd be glad to provide any additional information. KB.

I know exactly what you mean about the wonky translations. I have Japanese copies of I, IV and ITTOD and they all have quite a few of those bad translations.

which is better to collect.......180 or 200??????? also what about bootlegs...will they be worth investing in???

:lol: sorry. I always succumb to the temptation of being a smart ass.

I would certainly say 200 gram, assuming by 200 gram you mean the Classic Records Quiex SV-P Reissues. They usually sport a logo like this:

quiex-sv-p.gif

Classic Records are considered the gold standard for audiophile recordings. However, not all of their releases have the "Quiex SV-P" logo. Their other logo looks like this:

Quiex-SV-final.jpg

It's roughly the same thing, but the vinyl isn't as heavy. These are usually 150 grams, and still very valuable.

:lol: sorry. I always succumb to the temptation of being a smart ass.

I would certainly say 200 gram, assuming by 200 gram you mean the Classic Records Quiex SV-P Reissues. They usually sport a logo like this:

quiex-sv-p.gif

Classic Records are considered the gold standard for audiophile recordings. However, not all of their releases have the "Quiex SV-P" logo. Their other logo looks like this:

Quiex-SV-final.jpg

It's roughly the same thing, but the vinyl isn't as heavy. These are usually 150 grams, and still very valuable.

thank you...I appreciate that info....What about bootlegs????

thank you...I appreciate that info....What about bootlegs????

For years, a well preserved boot could go for a bundle. However, in an age when digital sharing of boots is now the standard, they're losing value. I'd say if you can pick up one of the "name" boots, it may still be worth it. I'd save your money for the classic records reissues, though.

Hi. I have Japanese first pressings of Zepp 1, 2, 3 and 4. The Zepp 3 has an interesting insert with lyrics "transcribed" by obviously some Japanese record company employee who was ordered to do so.

hey, nice items ... if they come with the original OBI (mostly for the first three) and poster ..

Ismt1067y.jpg

Led Zeppelin - I - Japanese with Obi

hey, nice items ... if they come with the original OBI (mostly for the first three) and poster ..

Ismt1067y.jpg

Led Zeppelin - I - Japanese with Obi

That's a good point about the obi.

For those who don't know, the Obi is that piece of paper that has all the Japanese writing on it. For collecting purposes, don't buy one if it doesn't have the obi.

Archived