Saw Jason Bonham tonight

guitarmy

Jason Bonham & Foreigner

Maryland State Fair (Timonium)

08/28/08

7:30-9:15pm

Well I have to admit that I'm not a huge Foreigner fan and that I went just to see Jason Bonham.

I was on the look out for Zeppelin references. Here they are from what I can recall:

1. At the end of one of the songs (don't know the whole Foreigner catalog, sorry), Jason played the Rock & Roll drum solo ending.

2. There was a nice loooong drum solo intro into another song. There were a few bars of Kashmir and some "Moby Dick"-esque style solo'ing for a while there. Real nice stuff.

3. And then of course during "Jukebox Hero", there was a little of "Whole Lotta Love".

So what's my point? I don't know! I was just glad to see Jason and was impressed by the rest of the band. But mostly impressed by Jason!

He was really playing to the crowd. I even caught him sneaking in some "Arsenio Hall" fist pumps.

The funniest part of the night was during band introduction time and Jason got the largest build up of cheers. I feel bad for the singer because he was intro'd right after Jason and his cheers didn't come close to Jason's. :D

Anyone else go?

Jason Bonham & Foreigner

Maryland State Fair (Timonium)

08/28/08

7:30-9:15pm

Well I have to admit that I'm not a huge Foreigner fan and that I went just to see Jason Bonham.

I was on the look out for Zeppelin references. Here they are from what I can recall:

1. At the end of one of the songs (don't know the whole Foreigner catalog, sorry), Jason played the Rock & Roll drum solo ending.

2. There was a nice loooong drum solo intro into another song. There were a few bars of Kashmir and some "Moby Dick"-esque style solo'ing for a while there. Real nice stuff.

3. And then of course during "Jukebox Hero", there was a little of "Whole Lotta Love".

So what's my point? I don't know! I was just glad to see Jason and was impressed by the rest of the band. But mostly impressed by Jason!

He was really playing to the crowd. I even caught him sneaking in some "Arsenio Hall" fist pumps.

The funniest part of the night was during band introduction time and Jason got the largest build up of cheers. I feel bad for the singer because he was intro'd right after Jason and his cheers didn't come close to Jason's. :D

Anyone else go?

I'm always impressed by Jason! :D

It seems Jason's profile in Foreigner really took off after the O2...which is understandable. They have always done the WLL segment in JBH from when this version of the band started in 2005, but over the last 8 months more and more have been added. Lately, Jason's been leading the crowd in the intro to JBH.

They have also been known to do Misty Mountain Hop in it's entirety.

It'll be interesting to see how Foreigner develop with Jason leaving. Mick Jones has stated a new album is pencilled in for Spring '09.

Apparently two young drummers are being lined up to replace Jason! They certainly will need a double-whammy to step into a Bonham's pair of drumming shoes ;)

Thanks for the review.

I'd say that if Jason got all this attention, and the permittance to sneak in so much Zep snippets, it's a pretty sad statement of what the current Foreignor lineup is about?

well have you seen this: Wikipedia (Foreigner former band members)

I was amazed to see how many incantations this band has gone through!

As for the state of the band, I thought they did a great job reproducing all the Foreigner songs.

I don't know much about them, but I recognized every song except for Starrider, which I thought was the best of the night.

So internally, I think the band is tight. As for public perception, who knows. I don't post on any Foreigner forums!

I'm always impressed by Jason! :D

It seems Jason's profile in Foreigner really took off after the O2...which is understandable. They have always done the WLL segment in JBH from when this version of the band started in 2005, but over the last 8 months more and more have been added. Lately, Jason's been leading the crowd in the intro to JBH.

They have also been known to do Misty Mountain Hop in it's entirety.

It'll be interesting to see how Foreigner develop with Jason leaving. Mick Jones has stated a new album is pencilled in for Spring '09.

Apparently two young drummers are being lined up to replace Jason! They certainly will need a double-whammy to step into a Bonham's pair of drumming shoes ;)

Thanks for the review.

Ah MissHoneydripper, I'm glad you found this thread waaay down inside the other bands forum!

For some reason, I peg you as a big Bonham fan...

Yeah I knew about the WLL during JBH and assumed it was coming. I think it's interesting that a song that usually contains a medley (WLL) was inside a song (JBH) as part of a medley.

I was still expecting to "shake it one time for Elvis", but alas it never came :D

Misty Mountain Hop? If I'd known beforehand I would have started a cheer or something.

Did they play anything from -double vision. thats the only foreigner record i own, bought it as a kid. double vision, hot blooded, blue morning blue day are pretty good songs. over the years major fm radio stations has led me to dislike -foreigner.

I dont want to sound negative, but i thought the band -bonham, was a step in the wrong direction, and now, jason leaving -foreigner is a good thing. i'm surprised he never got together with an original band, or singer songwriter making new music.

That was cool to hear that show was good.

They are playing Hot Blooded and Double Vision on this tour.

After Jason disbanded The Jason Bonham Band, he decided to stick with session work up to joining Foreigner in '05. He has worked with The Quireboys, Joe Bonamassa, UFO, Little Steven, Healing Sixes, Deborah Bonham and also provided drums on various tribute tracks like Ozzy's Crazy Train with Dee Snider on vocals.

I am so excited about his involvement with Jimmy & JPJ. I feel his time has now come. :)

He toured with The Quireboys on the 2002 Monsters of Rock tour....he is featured on the album of this tour 100% Rock & Roll (great album, highly recommended), he played drums on the Little Steven album Born Again Savage, Joe's album You and Me and for Deborah he played on her album The Old Hyde and on one track on her new Duchess album. He was with Healing Sixes for one album Enormosound (he also gigged with them).

He toured with The Quireboys on the 2002 Monsters of Rock tour....he is featured on the album of this tour 100% Rock & Roll (great album, highly recommended), he played drums on the Little Steven album Born Again Savage, Joe's album You and Me and for Deborah he played on her album The Old Hyde and on one track on her new Duchess album. He was with Healing Sixes for one album Enormosound (he also gigged with them).

Thanks. i'll check those out, guess i'll have to buy some of the cds online, but thats cool. thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Did they play anything from -double vision. thats the only foreigner record i own, bought it as a kid. double vision, hot blooded, blue morning blue day are pretty good songs. over the years major fm radio stations has led me to dislike -foreigner.

I dont want to sound negative, but i thought the band -bonham, was a step in the wrong direction, and now, jason leaving -foreigner is a good thing. i'm surprised he never got together with an original band, or singer songwriter making new music.

That was cool to hear that show was good.

This is probably a little late but here's the best recollection of the set list that I have (not in order):

Feels Like The First Time

Cold as Ice

Starrider

Hot Blooded

Double Vision

Dirty White Boy

Head Games

Juke Box Hero

Waiting for a Girl Like You

Urgent

I Want to Know What Love Is

Something off the upcoming album.

Anything else they played I wouldn't recognize.

The Quireboys! I remember them as the London Quireboys. Didn't even realise they were still around. Ahh, good ole Spike :D

Archived