Contacting Mr Page

-H-

Am in the process of developing a family tree website...they can be awful I know, but having recently discovered my grandfathers paper efforts (and finding them really interesting), thought I'd start now so that my daughter may refer to it later - should she want to.

What the buggery does this have to do with Led Zep I hear you cry!

I'm starting with my father who died 5 years ago. I can happily cover a brief biog of his life from when he met my mother (aged around 32), but the earlier years are harder to cover.

I know he spent his teen years in Kidbrooke in London, where one of his friends was - Mr Page. I know they played in groups together, along with a very young Albert Lee ( early and dodgy recording on http://tom.hemmingway.info - circa 1959-60), but know very little other than that.

Have no idea how close the admins of this site are to the group, or if any of them ever participate (very unlikely I realise), but if anyone has any suggestions that may help me gain anecdotes/memories of a young Tom Cleghorn (he changed his surname for the observant) from Jimmy, I would be very grateful indeed.

Thanks for reading,

H

Well, Jimmy said he met Albert Lee for the first time in 1961 and he and Albert often played records at each other's homes. Also, he developed affinity for Albert's guitar sound (Gibson Les Paul Custom with Supro Amp) and bought a Supro of his own soonafter.

Back in '59 Jimmy used to hang out at the Ebisham Hall in Epsom, where he attended a few Red E. Lewis and The Redcats gigs, chatting to the band afterward and using the guitarist's guitar to play licks, riffs and Chuck Berry solos.

From '59-'60 Jimmy performed with Neil Christian and The Crusaders, under the stage name of "Nelson Storm". Then Cyril Davies invited Jimmy to join his band, and Jimmy rehearsed with Cyril and Nicky Hopkins, but declined. He went into doing session work for the next few years instead.

Having said all that, sorry to say Jimmy Page never actually lived in Kidbrooke, as he resided with his parents at 34 Miles Road in Epsom from 1953 to 1967/68. However,

apparently Albert twice succeeded Jimmy as a lead guitarist, first in Mike Hurst's band (?) and then in Neil Christian's backing group. Perhaps paths crossed on Albert's side

of town, for as Jimmy said they visited each others homes.

Thanks for the replies guys, and especially Steve, what you've said rings true with half remembered stuff I was told as a child, very helpful indeed. Have sent an email to the webmaster - perhaps he can help further :)

The music I linked to has Pat Donaldson on Bass if I remember correctly - would be fantastic to get a clearer picture though.

Having said all that, sorry to say Jimmy Page never actually lived in Kidbrooke, as he resided with his parents at 34 Miles Road in Epsom from 1953 to 1967/68. However,

Wow, Jimmy was still living with his parents well into the Yardbirds days? What a mama's boy.

Wow, Jimmy was still living with his parents well into the Yardbirds days? What a mama's boy.

Sounds like it, but in reality it's a good arrangement for a constantly traveling musician. Not only is it beneficial to your finances, which I hear Pagey was/is quite the miser, but it also eliminates from having someone watch your home while you're away. When I was on the road back in the late 70's, i stayed at my folks place when back home, and I was certainly no mama's boy. ;)

Archived