Sterotypes

Jimmy's A Legend

I didn't create any stigma by mentioning stereotypes wouldn't exist if people didn't live up to them. The reason that stereotypes exist is because enough people have behaved in a similar way that makes it possible to catagorize them. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, not all stereotypes are negative. The only people attaching stigma to stereotying is people like you who assume it has to be a negative thing. For example I've played guitar for 32 years, some of the things I do are stereotypical behavior for a guitarist. If someone pointed it out I wouldn't need to call the morality police or anything.

BTW I've also been in the car biz since 1992 and your story was way off base. The salespeople at the Toyota stores probably didn't see your 'family member'. Car salesman are like sharks and we don't care how you are dressed. You could roll up on the lot pushing a grocery cart full of trash and we will run out and try to sell you something. There's another example of stereotypical behavior for you. But yeah believe it, looks and clothing don't mean jack to a car salesman. We are going to hump your leg until you buy something or leave.

PS I'm not trying to be negative here and I'm not sure why you chose my one sentence post to use for your example but it's all good. I'm not trying to be difficult here. Have a good one.

I chose your one sentence because I wanted to. And you chose to argue over it. So it still makes no fricking sense.

PERIOD.

I don't trust car salesmen, and since you seem to have been there PM me and I will put you in touch with all the people who were.

POINT?

Stereotypes are made up by people because they feel inferior to others. I DID NOT choose YOURS selectively.

I was making a point, get over it.

You may be a perfectly good car salesman. However stereotype does have a very negative connotation nowadays. Your fault? My fault? Probably society as a whole pushing it. From dogma to Obama mama...

Stereotype:

1. Part of a series of articles on

Discrimination

Wikipedia:

Stereotypes are ideas about people of other particular groups, based primarily on membership in that group. They may be positive or negative prejudicial, and may be used to justify certain discriminatory behaviors. Some people consider all stereotypes to be negative. Stereotypes are rarely completely accurate, based on some kernel of truth, or completely fabricated. Different disciplines give different accounts of how stereotypes develop: Psychologists focus on how experience with groups, patterns of communication about the groups, and intergroup conflict. Sociologists focus on the relations among groups and position of different groups in a social structure. Psychoanalytically-oriented humanists have argued (e.g., Sander Gilman) that stereotypes, by definition, are never accurate representations, but a projection of an individual's fears onto others, regardless of the reality of others. Although stereotypes are rarely entirely accurate, statistical studies have shown that in some cases stereotypes do represent measurable facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype

It's all good though, not on you. I just don't care for the word being used so 'loosely.' They figured he was poor because he had work clothes on, he said they were even rude. Anyways their loss, some other Toy salespersons gain. I have a friend who has sold Hondas all his life. He would have sold him his kids braces and the orthodontists chair.

Peace.

:beer:

Edited by Mary Hartman

Awww, shit. Not this again.

Awww, shit is right. Doesn't he get the idea that he isn't wanted here?

Anyway, on subject. I hate stereotypes. I endured so much hell because of them. People can be so cruel, I just don't understand. They never go away. Looks like a hippie, smells like a hippie (incense), talks like a hippie. Let's all say she does drugs too! It makes me so mad, but it makes me want to cry too.

I feel seperate from everyone else at my school, and almost everyone else in my life. Even my best friends, I can't describe it. It's like a disconnection. I wanted so desperatly to be accepted for who I was, but I wasn't. And I will never be accepted by these people and now I feel like I'm missing something. When in all reality, I'm only missing their artifical ways that I don't actually want that.

Anyway, on subject. I hate stereotypes. I endured so much hell because of them. People can be so cruel, I just don't understand. They never go away. Looks like a hippie, smells like a hippie (incense), talks like a hippie. Let's all say she does drugs too! It makes me so mad, but it makes me want to cry too.

I went through at least 6 years of my life with people thinking I was a pothead and a heroin addict,based on nothing more than my choice of clothes,and my musical tastes.

Edited by 59LesPaul

I went to an all-girl's Catholic high school. I made the mistake of wearing my Led Zeppelin t-shirt to school one day when we could dress out. Next thing I know, I'm in the principal's office and he's asking me how long I've been doing drugs and if I'm giving any to the other students.

After my parents threatened a lawsuit, he apologized to me in front of the student body and faculty.

i suppose being a pot head and heroin addict were the upside of that subdefuge

only joking 59, you're cool in my book

:gimmefive:

Well,there was more than one instance where people severely underestimated me and my capabilities,and I used that to may advantage,so I suppose there's a bright side to everything.....

I went through at least 6 years of my life with people thinking I was a pothead and a heroin addict,based on nothing more than my choice of clothes,and my musical tastes.

I know exactly what you mean, I face it everyday. It never seems to end. They say I do any thing and everything, from pot to lsd. I've learned to deal with it all though. Sometimes people have to deal with unfair things, and this is my thing. I found quotes to be helpful. Right now I like Arlo Guthrie's "You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in."

My high school years to a T :D The only reason I didn't get the boot was because I was a decent athlete. Everything was cool as long as there was a soccer ball that needed tucked away. Talk about people being hypocrates. <_<