Jeff Beck on Zep reunion

allbettsareoff

British rocker JEFF BECK has slammed LED ZEPPELIN's comeback plans - insisting it will be pointless without former lead singer ROBERT PLANT.

The 64-year-old legend - who played in cult British act The Yardbirds with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page - praised the band's huge one-off concert at London's O2 Arena last December (07).

But Beck argues plans for a full-blown tour should be shelved without Plant, who has repeatedly refused to join his old band mates full-time.

He says, "I really don't think it's a good idea, not if Robert doesn't want to. I was there at the one-off show at the O2 Arena and it was fantastic. But I think they should just leave it there.

"They will have been offered loads of money and it'll be tempting but that's not a good enough reason to me.

"It would be different if they all wanted to do it and record new material but that's not the case."

Plant finally killed speculation he would rejoin the band in September (08) by stating he has, "no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years."

His recent single with Alison Krauss, Please Read The Letter, has been nominated for Record of the Year at this year's (08) Grammy Awards.

I agree.

As much as I adore Zeppelin: it's not Zepp with out Robert just as it wouldn't be Zepp without Jimmy or John Paul. Jeff is right, they shoud end with the O2; it was an amazing way to prove they they still got it.

Plus I'd hardly call it Led Zeppelin, I mean it's only 2 of the original members.

Jeff Beck is a classy guy

More sass than class if you ask me, but yeah he's a good 'un. Instead of offering career advice to his old mate though, I would gently implore Mr. Beck to release a DVD of his 2007 shows at Ronnie Scott's.

I agree with Jeff on the basis that it would be wrong to do a Zeppelin reunion, but as Jimmy, et all, have said it's not gonna be Zeppelin, I don't really see why he'd have his pants in such a twist and speak against it.

On a personal level it must be somewhat disheartening having one of your peers and oldest friends pretty much say it'd be wrong for you to go back out and do what you love. If any of my friends ever said that to me I know I'd feel disappointed and hurt, to say the least. Especially if they were the ones I'd given a step up to on the career ladder.

However, Jeff is entitled to his opinion and if he doesn't think it'd be right for a reunion, he isn't wrong for thinking so. It just so happens I'm a Zeppelin fan and not a Jeff Beck one, so I won't be putting much stock in his opinion. What he or any other musician says bares no impact on me. I've made my mind up. You'd have to be a pretty fickle fan to let a few musicians persuade you into not wanting to see your favourite band.

On a personal level it must be somewhat disheartening having one of your peers and oldest friends pretty much say it'd be wrong for you to go back out and do what you love. If any of my friends ever said that to me I know I'd feel disappointed and hurt, to say the least. Especially if they were the ones I'd given a step up to on the career ladder.

All poor old Jeff said was that he didn't think it would be a good idea without Robert, the question he was asked having undoubtedly been "Do you think Zeppelin should tour without Plant?" Well, most of us don't think that would be a good idea, and apparently neither does Jimmy, because they're not going to perform as Zeppelin. I don't see anywhere that Beck said Jimmy shouldn't go out and do what he loves (assuming that means playing the guitar, which he's had many more opportunities to do than he's actually taken, seems to me, but that's a different matter :D ).

I agree with Jeff on the basis that it would be wrong to do a Zeppelin reunion, but as Jimmy, et all, have said it's not gonna be Zeppelin, I don't really see why he'd have his pants in such a twist and speak against it.

He probably hadn't followed the whole thing as we fans on the forum.

He probably hadn't followed the whole thing as we fans on the forum.

Good point.

This is like the Paul Weller thing that's causing today's outrage--he said that months ago, but these hacks are just desperate for anything they can use to keep the "story" going until there actually IS a story!

Archived