Jeff Beck on Zep reunion

allbettsareoff

British rocker JEFF BECK has slammed LED ZEPPELIN's comeback plans - insisting it will be pointless without former lead singer ROBERT PLANT.

The 64-year-old legend - who played in cult British act The Yardbirds with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page - praised the band's huge one-off concert at London's O2 Arena last December (07).

But Beck argues plans for a full-blown tour should be shelved without Plant, who has repeatedly refused to join his old band mates full-time.

He says, "I really don't think it's a good idea, not if Robert doesn't want to. I was there at the one-off show at the O2 Arena and it was fantastic. But I think they should just leave it there.

"They will have been offered loads of money and it'll be tempting but that's not a good enough reason to me.

"It would be different if they all wanted to do it and record new material but that's not the case."

Plant finally killed speculation he would rejoin the band in September (08) by stating he has, "no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years."

His recent single with Alison Krauss, Please Read The Letter, has been nominated for Record of the Year at this year's (08) Grammy Awards.

British rocker JEFF BECK has slammed LED ZEPPELIN's comeback plans - insisting it will be pointless without former lead singer ROBERT PLANT.

The 64-year-old legend - who played in cult British act The Yardbirds with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page - praised the band's huge one-off concert at London's O2 Arena last December (07).

But Beck argues plans for a full-blown tour should be shelved without Plant, who has repeatedly refused to join his old band mates full-time.

He says, "I really don't think it's a good idea, not if Robert doesn't want to. I was there at the one-off show at the O2 Arena and it was fantastic. But I think they should just leave it there.

"They will have been offered loads of money and it'll be tempting but that's not a good enough reason to me.

"It would be different if they all wanted to do it and record new material but that's not the case."

Plant finally killed speculation he would rejoin the band in September (08) by stating he has, "no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years."

His recent single with Alison Krauss, Please Read The Letter, has been nominated for Record of the Year at this year's (08) Grammy Awards.

I'd like to see this statement by Jeff Beck in full and in the spirit in which the original questions pertaining to Jimmy and Zeppelin were presented. Short of that, this is more tabloid type B.S.

When did Jimmy and or JPJ ever state that any new project when and if ever conceived would be a Led Zeppelin project? The dumbing down of society is fully underway.

If Jeff Beck did make these comments pertaining to Jimmy it's pretty disappointing. I don't understand Beck's and Paul McCartney's adamance against Jimmy playing Led Zeppelin material. Especially since their live sets are loaded with songs from their past that are as old or older than Zeppelin's music.

I'd like to see this statement by Jeff Beck in full and in the spirit in which the original questions pertaining to Jimmy and Zeppelin were presented. Short of that, this is more tabloid type B.S.

When did Jimmy and or JPJ ever state that any new project when and if ever conceived would be a Led Zeppelin project? The dumbing down of society is fully underway.

It was sent to me today by google alert and was posted on www.contactmusic.com I don't know how reliable it is but interesting. I think the statement was taken when all the speculation was going on around Led zeppelin reforming without Plant. You can take it for what it is worth it is just an oppinion which everyone has aright too. Beieve it don't believe it that is your choice.

I would go see Jimmy, JPJ and Jason play a completely instrumental set of LZ stuff. Some of my fave clips are of Jimmy at the Arms concert playing Chopin and Stairway. INCREDIBLE!

Now that's the ticket!! :thumbsup:

The audience will sing all the words...never fear. :thumbsup:

Oh fucking great. <_<

nothing worse than a bunch of out of tune audients joined hand in hand in a sing:rolleyes: along.

Now that's the ticket!! :thumbsup:

Oh fucking great. <_<

nothing worse than a bunch of out of tune audients joined hand in hand in a sing:rolleyes: along.

That's the fun of it sounds wonderful hope they bring it on and no it's not Led Zeppelin but can't wait to hear it and maybe catch a smige of Zeppelin again during the next Olympics :D

Hi all,

Actually some of the comments from Jeff,Eric,Keith from guitar mags in the past where brutal.That's coming from your friends! :blink:B):D

But Jeff and Sir Paul are right.No Robert= No Zep.

No problem do instrumentals,we will sing along,better than any football(both kinds) or Rugby,...........!

How about, Page,Jones&Bonham: the ultimate karaoke! :hysterical:

KB(The mike,I said,give me the f***ing mike!!!!)

Hi all,

Actually some of the comments from Jeff,Eric,Keith from guitar mags in the past where brutal.That's coming from your friends! :blink:B):D

But Jeff and Sir Paul are right.No Robert= No Zep.

No problem do instrumentals,we will sing along,better than any football(both kinds) or Rugby,...........!

How about, Page,Jones&Bonham: the ultimate karaoke! :hysterical:

KB(The mike,I said,give me the f***ing mike!!!!)

I for one would like to see a few here have a go at karaoke. I know we have dancing girls and some that claim they can sing. Let's break out the go go boots and the microphones..... :rollin:

Hi all,

I for one would like to see a few here have a go at karaoke. I know we have dancing girls and some that claim they can sing. Let's break out the go go boots and the microphones..... :rollin:

Off-topic; Zep was the only songs I would sing if talked into that,.... :o

No hair on the chest and I am a brunette,but a heck of a mimic,... :drunk:

KB(true)

I just wish that Page/Jones/Bonham/? would get on with it, and silence the haters. Too bad the press release from Jimmy's reps didn't get much media attention telling people this is not a reformed Zep.........

What haters?

I know I keep saying this, but the comments we've been reading aren't "brutal," they're simply casual opinions which journalists are trying to whip up into something more intense, because there's no actual story to report on at the moment.

Hi all,

Off-topic; Zep was the only songs I would sing if talked into that,.... :o

No hair on the chest and I am a brunette,but a heck of a mimic,... :drunk:

KB(true)

I was serious too :D

What haters?

I know I keep saying this, but the comments we've been reading aren't "brutal," they're simply casual opinions which journalists are trying to whip up into something more intense, because there's no actual story to report on at the moment.

I have come to the conlusion, and it was a long and arduous journey over the last year that got me here believe me, that Jeff is right. Let it go. Led Zeppelin remains so pure and pristine, as close to as new as the day it was born as any Rock and Roll band that ever cut a track. The love for this band exceeds all others. When I watched the Beatles doing their Apple Records rooftop gig at the end on Youtube the other night, it struck me how distant every individual was that day and how mechanical the music was. Brilliant, but somehow unsinspired. Watching the Led Zeppelin DVD beats the pulp of just about anything you can imagine or experience in real life in terms of cynergy, and the mere threat of the damage that could be done by trying this without Robert far outweighs what could be gained. I think Jimmy can move on to a different project with some or none of the cast we have been kicking around over the last year and still do some tunes from the Zeppelin catalogue. No harm, no fowl. But, there cannot be any kind of charade to tarnash the pure legacy of Led Zeppelin. I don't care who's fault it is that Zep can't come to Cincinnati, Ohio the way that it did to the O2 arena in 2007. Apparently, it can't, and I am at peace with that...

I just want to see it kept the way it is... frozen in time as the greatest rock and roll band of them all.

If Jeff Beck did make these comments pertaining to Jimmy it's pretty disappointing. I don't understand Beck's and Paul McCartney's adamance against Jimmy playing Led Zeppelin material. Especially since their live sets are loaded with songs from their past that are as old or older than Zeppelin's music.

I didn't read the Paul McCartney story this way at all. In fact I thought he was almost calling out Robert, as in "Where is he? Why won't he do it?" Then the press said McCartney "slammed" the "reunion".

The internet has sped up the flow of information, and it has also distorted it. At least most newpapers made some effort to write headlines that were based on what the person acutally meant rather than an out of context, sensationalist spin on it

Nowhere in the original post does Beck say JP, JPJ, Jason and whomever they "hire" as a singer should not record and tour "new material" as well as Zep songs.

Only in Jeff's opinion and without Robert on board, they shouldn't cash in on the name by releasing it and promoting it by touring as Led Zeppelin.

Fair assessment if you ask me.

NO RP = NO LZ.

I have come to the conlusion, and it was a long and arduous journey over the last year that got me here believe me, that Jeff is right. Let it go. Led Zeppelin remains so pure and pristine, as close to as new as the day it was born as any Rock and Roll band that ever cut a track. The love for this band exceeds all others. When I watched the Beatles doing their Apple Records rooftop gig at the end on Youtube the other night, it struck me how distant every individual was that day and how mechanical the music was. Brilliant, but somehow unsinspired. Watching the Led Zeppelin DVD beats the pulp of just about anything you can imagine or experience in real life in terms of cynergy, and the mere threat of the damage that could be done by trying this without Robert far outweighs what could be gained. I think Jimmy can move on to a different project with some or none of the cast we have been kicking around over the last year and still do some tunes from the Zeppelin catalogue. No harm, no fowl. But, there cannot be any kind of charade to tarnash the pure legacy of Led Zeppelin. I don't care who's fault it is that Zep can't come to Cincinnati, Ohio the way that it did to the O2 arena in 2007. Apparently, it can't, and I am at peace with that...

I just want to see it kept the way it is... frozen in time as the greatest rock and roll band of them all.

But they aren't reforming as Zep. This is the problem with the media. THEY are the ones who keep saying Jimmy is looking to replace Robert for a Zep reunion, not Jimmy who has stated no Robert, no Zep. I'm sure when Paul and Jeff were posed the question, it was probably "do you think Zep should reform without Robert" to which they said no. But the media took that and incorporated it into this whole Zep reunion story they've been on about.

Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks? If this makes the boys happy, good for them. They are not touring as LZ anyway. People act like they are not allowed to tour together unless it's under the guise of LZ. What a bunch of crappola!

Archived