Research Report

Rockasaurus Rex

Hello,

I'm doing a research report and trying to track down what artists (if any) opened for Led Zeppelin at their How The West Was Won concerts (Long Beach Arena on June 25, 1972 & LA Forum June 27, 1972) or for the O2 concert in 2007.

Bonus points for noteworthy artists that have toured with Led Zeppelin over the course of their career.

Any help you guys might be able to provide would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rex

Hello,

I'm doing a research report and trying to track down what artists (if any) opened for Led Zeppelin at their How The West Was Won concerts (Long Beach Arena on June 25, 1972 & LA Forum June 27, 1972) or for the O2 concert in 2007.

Bonus points for noteworthy artists that have toured with Led Zeppelin over the course of their career.

Thanks,

-Rex

Sorry I don't know the answers to your questions but welcome to the forum. :D

You've come to the right place! Because if you research this site, you'll find the answer to all your questions. :shifty:

Aquamarine-

Actually I had looked around and done a few searches, but being a newb I'm not immediately familiar with all the nuggets of knowledge and wisdom throughout this forum just yet. If you could point me in the right direction I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

-Rex

Hello,

Thanks,

-Rex

Welcome Rex! How I wish I could've gotten away with subjects like this when I was in school. LOL

A couple noteworthy artists they toured with were Jethro Tull and Vanilla Fudge. I know they did a show in L.A. with Alice Cooper in '69.

That's all I know for sure. The rest would be guessing . Try PMing SteveAJones. He is a wealth o' knowledge on the subject.

Good luck...........

Why are you looking on the forum, and not on the main part of the site? (If you're anything like previous posters who ask these questions, it's because you hope the forum members will do the work for you. However if that's not true in your case, and you somehow missed the rest of the site, please accept my apologies.)

Why are you looking on the forum, and not on the main part of the site? (If you're anything like previous posters who ask these questions, it's because you hope the forum members will do the work for you. However if that's not true in your case, and you somehow missed the rest of the site, please accept my apologies.)

Good point, Aqua. I wanted to give the lad(or lass) at least a headstart.

Now Rex, of course you know if you use what I told you, you'll have to cite me as a reference. APA format.

LOL. Just kidding.........

Welcome Rex! How I wish I could've gotten away with subjects like this when I was in school. LOL

A couple noteworthy artists they toured with were Jethro Tull and Vanilla Fudge. I know they did a show in L.A. with Alice Cooper in '69.

That's all I know for sure. The rest would be guessing . Try PMing SteveAJones. He is a wealth o' knowledge on the subject.

Good luck...........

Thanks very much Bonzo!

-Rex

Aqua,

Presuming I'm trying to obtain information from others is sort of a given that's what a research project is- I'm asking people that are more knowledgable than myself to answer a question (or contribute to the answer) where I'm not the most apt. I'm in the newb forum, asking a newb question- there's no bad intentions here. For the sake of it, I am not using the forum as a first resort- I've checked this site and others and have come up dry on the specific gigs I'm researching. The Forum (venue) doesn't even keep backlogs as far as ten years. With respect, I don't appreciate being lumped in with an unsavory crowd right offhand.

Good point, Aqua. I wanted to give the lad(or lass) at least a headstart.

Now Rex, of course you know if you use what I told you, you'll have to cite me as a reference. APA format.

LOL. Just kidding.........

Bonzo, I'm citing you...as far as the APA format goes, that's something I can't promise :P

-Rex

Hello,

Thanks,

-Rex

No opening acts in LA (6/25/72) or Long Beach (6/27/72). Note dates corrected.

Led Zeppelin "toured with" (defined here as having been billed together more than once on the same same tour) very few other acts, and mostly from 1968-69: Vanilla Fudge ('68-'69), Alice Cooper, Taj Mahal, Country Joe and the Fish, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity, The Coldwell-Winfield Blues Band, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, The Joshua Light Show, Savoy Brown and The Litter, Jethro Tull, The Echo, Royal Ascots & Brimstone, Roland Kirk, and Isaac Hayes (all in 1969). Stone the Crows (1971). Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes, The New Commander Cody, and Chas and Dave (Knebworth 1979).

The opening acts who performed at the O2 Arena the evening of 12/10/07

were Paolo Nuitini (Ertegun’s most recent signing), Bill Wyman & The Rhythm Kings, Paul Rodgers and Foreigner.

Led Zeppelin "toured with" (defined here as having been billed together more than once on the same same tour) very few other acts, and mostly from 1968-69: Vanilla Fudge ('68-'69), Alice Cooper, Taj Mahal, Country Joe and the Fish, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity, The Coldwell-Winfield Blues Band, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, The Joshua Light Show, Savoy Brown and The Litter, Jethro Tull, The Echo, Royal Ascots & Brimstone, Roland Kirk, and Isaac Hayes (all in 1969). Stone the Crows (1971). Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes, The New Commander Cody, and Chas and Dave (Knebworth 1979).

were Paolo Nuitini (Ertegun’s most recent signing), Bill Wyman & The Rhythm Kings, Paul Rodgers and Foreigner.

Steve,

Didn't the New Barbarians also play at Knebworth? I also have a question as far as opening acts. I heard this on Grand Funk's Behind The Music and thought it was total BS because I have never seen ANY evidence of Grand Funk opening for Zep. Their manager or maybe it was Don Brewer said that they were opening for Zep but they were stealing the show so Peter Grant pulled them from the tour. Have you heard this? I found it to be quite hilarious.

Thanks in advance.......

Steve,

Didn't the New Barbarians also play at Knebworth? I also have a question as far as opening acts. I heard this on Grand Funk's Behind The Music and thought it was total BS because I have never seen ANY evidence of Grand Funk opening for Zep. Their manager or maybe it was Don Brewer said that they were opening for Zep but they were stealing the show so Peter Grant pulled them from the tour. Have you heard this? I found it to be quite hilarious.

Thanks in advance.......

The New Barbarians only played one of Led Zeppelin's two Knebworth Festival gigs (8/11/79), and they would have had to play both to be included in the list compiled

since I said "at least two performances on the same tour".

Grand Funk Railroad was among multiple opening acts for Led Zeppelin at Olympia Stadium in Detroit on 10/18/69 and at Public Auditorium in Cleveland on 10/24/69.

Important to note GFR was a Detroit-based band and always enjoyed commercial

success and popular acclaim there. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me they

were only booked to play those two regional dates, and to say they were kicked

off the tour for performing so well sounds like a distortion of the facts.

Led Zeppelin and Grand Funk Railroad were among various artists who performed at

the 1969 Atlanta International Pop Festival (7/5/69) and Texas International Pop Festival (8/31/69).

I have an October 1971 magazine ("PLANET PRESENTS GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

& 9 HEAVY BANDS") which includes an article titled "Planet Salutes Led Zeppelin".

The overall content of the magazine would lead one to believe GFR was the

biggest rock band in the world, but Led Zeppelin fans would have known better!

On 1/27/07, Jimmy called Ross Halfin at home and inquired what all the noise was in

the background...Ross explained he was watching a Grand Funk Railroad dvd. :lol:

Hi Steve, I've heard that Zephyr (Tommy Bolin, David Givens and Candice Givens) had been open act for Zeppelin. Was that possible?

Hi Steve, I've heard that Zephyr (Tommy Bolin, David Givens and Candice Givens) had been open act for Zeppelin. Was that possible?

Zephyr was a Boulder, Colorado-based band and at least one website claims they were an opening act at Led Zeppelin's first ever North American concert (Denver Auditorium, 12/26/68): http://www.tbolin.com/history/zephyr.html

However, none of the press coverage nor attendee recollections in the official timeline

support the claim: http://ledzeppelin.com/node/310/2780#comment-2780

I've never seen any proof to substantiate the claim Zephyr opened for them. However,

The James Gang (featuring Tommy Bolin and Joe Walsh) did open for Led Zeppelin at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo on 10/30/69.

Zephyr was a Boulder, Colorado-based band and at least one website claims they were an opening act at Led Zeppelin's first ever North American concert (Denver Auditorium, 12/26/68): http://www.tbolin.com/history/zephyr.html

However, none of the press coverage nor attendee recollections in the official timeline

support the claim: http://ledzeppelin.com/node/310/2780#comment-2780

I've never seen any proof to substantiate the claim Zephyr opened for them. However,

The James Gang (featuring Tommy Bolin and Joe Walsh) did open for Led Zeppelin at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo on 10/30/69.

Thanks so much! :)

Archived