Why Do Soundboards Exist?

I would think it's mainly for the purpose of live releases. And I've also heard there are some perfectionist musicians who actually review each live performance afterwards, and chew out anyone who messed up! IIRC Manilow does this. Or is it Neil Diamond? Same difference.

I've read over the years that many a band have their shows taped just to hear how the music sounds live.Also if a gig has a special significance for the band,maybe a first show in the States or a first London show etc,then that may be enough to get the tapes rolling.Also many a gig is taped by the soundman just to have a momentoe of a particular concert.Let's all thank the stars that it goes on shall we?

We know from PhotonBeam that every show from the '77 US tour was recorded and the tapes given to Jimmy for his archive.

The suggestion that they were recorded for live release is false, as the soundboard recording is only a STEREO master, not a MULTI-TRACK recording which can be mixed for album release.

They certainly were not recorded without the knowledge of the band, as has been suggested.

When did the theft occur from Jimmy's house of his tapes and recordings?

Did he loose the '77 soundboard tapes?

What was lost?

The theft occurred in the mid - late 1980s, including demo tapes of the album he was working on at the time, Outrider. Because of the theft, what was intended as a double-album was released as a single.

I am no expert and unsure of the provenance of any soundboard recordings around - have they all come from the stolen tapes, or have they been released through other avenues?

The theft occurred in the mid - late 1980s, including demo tapes of the album he was working on at the time, Outrider. Because of the theft, what was intended as a double-album was released as a single.

I am no expert and unsure of the provenance of any soundboard recordings around - have they all come from the stolen tapes, or have they been released through other avenues?

The varied origins of soundboards is one thing that has baffled collectors for years.

-Where do the actually come from?

The answer is really varied, actually to give you some examples

-Fillmore West 1969/04/27: Recorded by Bill Graham for his personal archives.

-USA 73 boards: Mostly taken from Jimmy's possession. Thus explaining the constantly similar sound.

-USA 75 boards: Unexplainable, because of the fact that they sound so good. The origin, given to consistency and number of releases by one label, probably means that it might be related to an ex-member of the road crew, or maybe many stolen ones from Jimmy's possession, which would provide the clearest explanation.

-USA 77: Destroyer: Taped Board, someone with assistance of the sound crew hooked onto the Soundboard feed. Houston 5/21/77: Probably video soundtrack. 5/26 and 28: Probably video soundtracks too, but I must cast doubt over the origin of the 28th especially as it's more bass heavy. Finally 6/11 New York: It sounds good, but the soundboard is probably just taped, as in The Destroyer, the Seattle Board is simply a video soundtrack.

Euro 1980: Most if not all are from Jimmy's archives, also take notice that there isn't a soundboard of the Vienna show because probably it was brought up as court evidence for Jimmy's firecracker accident.

Archived