Album artwork on In Through the Out Door

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

The original LP's also featured water-colorable artwork on the inner album sleeve...

Anyone know what it looks like, or if it's worth doing... or how much it hurts the value of them?

I discovered that by accident when listening to it upon its release; unbeknownst to me, a friend put a beer can on the inner sleeve and the wet ring revealed the colored (yellow) nuts. Just certain elements are colored (I'm not 100% sure, but maybe the peanuts, ash tray, the dollar bill, cigar, coins) and the rest remains black-and-white.

Those type of "coloring" books for kids were available back then, so that's where I'm assuming Zep people got the idea.

I would imagine it would hurt the value of the albums, as your purchaser would want to be able to color them. But what the hell, if you ain't gonna sell it, color it. Dip your fingertip lightly in some water and color it!

I've always thought the music on the album matched the mood of the cover art...South Bound Saurez, Hot Dog, Fool In the Rain, I'm Gonna Crawl, etc...what do you all think?

I totally agree with you on that. I have always thought the same thing. I love this album and it's my fav. It's a shame that the album doesn't get the same respect or appreciation as the others.

I totally agree with you on that. I have always thought the same thing. I love this album and it's my fav. It's a shame that the album doesn't get the same respect or appreciation as the others.

It's not my favorite (Presence is) but I love it a lot too.

I've been listening to the three tracks on Coda that were left off of this and I think adding those would have made ITTOD a super-strong album...especially Ozone Baby (although Plant's harmonizer at the end is *BAD*)...I love Darlene and Wearing and Tearing, too...getting back to what I said earlier, I think Darlene (especially) and Ozone Baby also fit the mood of the album art...sort of that down-and-out-but-some-moments-are-really-sweet mood from the cover...life may be sad but there are laughs to be had along the way, you know? That's the vibe I get from the cover...the contrast between the crushed guy at the counter and the laughing people in the back...in every bit of a darkness there's some light that will peep through, you know?

There are 6 different shots of that scene...too bad on the CD only 4 of them are on there...it's not like it would have killed them to add one more fold to the insert to have the last 2...

That doesn't make sense. The laziness these days. :slapface:

Archived