Plant Still Has What It Takes To Rock Your Socks

SteveAJones

Interesting that Cheap Trick opened the show!

Would they become a bigger draw for audiences than Robert?

Their "Live at Budokan" went platinum and reached number 4 on the billboard charts in 1979. Did any of Robert's solo albums get that high?

Cheap Trick were pretty popular by 1988 I think. I was never a fan so I didn't pay too much attention. Now and Zen went Platinum. I think some of his solo records went gold but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure which ones.

Cheap Trick were pretty popular by 1988 I think. I was never a fan so I didn't pay too much attention. Now and Zen went Platinum. I think some of his solo records went gold but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure which ones.

Cheap Trick was popular by 1978, not 88. Their "Live At The Budokan" album was from 1979.. ;)

All of Robert's solo albums were great in their own way. Some I appreciate more than others, "Fate Of Nations" is right up there with most Zep IMO. Better than ITTOD, for sure. But all had their merits, quirky as some of it was.

Cheap Trick had a Top 10 single that summer called 'The Flame'. Other opening acts

for this tour included Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Cheap Trick was popular by 1978, not 88. Their "Live At The Budokan" album was from 1979.. ;)

All of Robert's solo albums were great in their own way. Some I appreciate more than others, "Fate Of Nations" is right up there with most Zep IMO. Better than ITTOD, for sure. But all had their merits, quirky as some of it was.

I figured that - I meant that they were already popular by 88. Sorry my brain seems to not be working today :slapface:

My favorite solo albums are easily Mighty Rearranger, Fate of Nations and Dreamland but I love them all in different ways :D

Cheap Trick had a Top 10 single that summer called 'The Flame'. Other opening acts

Yup - saw them all opening. Stevie Ray was amazing.

Steve,don't know if this would interest you,but...several years back,The Birmingham News,did a retrospectice piece on "Cliff,"of Cliff's Limousines.

Cliff was an older black gentleman who pretty much had the limo market cornered in Birmingham in the70's and 80's.

Again,if memory serves,the article highlights his business and the dignitaries he had shuttled around Birmingham.

I guess the question arose if anyone or anything particular stood out,and yes,Led Zeppelin made the cut.

Again, I'm working off what little I remember about the article.

But I believe Cliff commented about pieces of the limo ripped apart and tossed through the sunroof or out the window,when members of Led Zeppelin were being transported.

Bear this in mind.Led Zeppelin began the middle leg of the 1977 tour in Birmingham,after having had the 2-3 week break from the initial leg.Birmingham was the first concert after the massive Detroit show.

What's a bit weird to me, is that the Birmingham airport is no more than three miles from the coloseum.Departing the airport,they could have pulled into the arena

tunnel in 15 minutes give or take.I don't know if these antics would have been done pre concert or post concert.

Anyhow,just wanted to put this out there if you're interested.

Steve,don't know if this would interest you,but...several years back,The Birmingham News,did a retrospectice piece on "Cliff,"of Cliff's Limousines.

Cliff was an older black gentleman who pretty much had the limo market cornered in Birmingham in the70's and 80's.

Again,if memory serves,the article highlights his business and the dignitaries he had shuttled around Birmingham.

I guess the question arose if anyone or anything particular stood out,and yes,Led Zeppelin made the cut.

Again, I'm working off what little I remember about the article.

But I believe Cliff commented about pieces of the limo ripped apart and tossed through the sunroof or out the window,when members of Led Zeppelin were being transported.

Bear this in mind.Led Zeppelin began the middle leg of the 1977 tour in Birmingham,after having had the 2-3 week break from the initial leg.Birmingham was the first concert after the massive Detroit show.

What's a bit weird to me, is that the Birmingham airport is no more than three miles from the coloseum.Departing the airport,they could have pulled into the arena

tunnel in 15 minutes give or take.I don't know if these antics would have been done pre concert or post concert.

Anyhow,just wanted to put this out there if you're interested.

I'm always interested in obscure press coverage which reveals anecdotes such as this.

I will see if I can have the article tracked down. In my mysteries thread I featured the

twin brothers who ran a limo service in Chicago, whom Peter Grant referred to as "our

boys in Chicago". Apparently, Frank Sinatra was completely unaware the limo service was run by twins so when his flight landed he was puzzled as to how the driver who drove him to the previous airport could have possibly beat him to the next one (it was the brother!).

Another buzz circulating at this concert was that Carmen Plant had been spotted.I have no idea if there was any truth to this.

Well, I haven't seen any credible confirmation she was there. Logan accompanied him for several dates of the Summer '90 U.S. tour, so it's certainly possible.

Interesting that Cheap Trick opened the show!

Would they become a bigger draw for audiences than Robert?

Their "Live at Budokan" went platinum and reached number 4 on the billboard charts in 1979. Did any of Robert's solo albums get that high?

I saw 2 shows on the Now And Zen tour (Nassau Coliseum & MSG) and Cheap Trick opened up both of them. At the MSG show, there was a guy a few rows in front of us who stood up, waved, cheered & pumped his fist during the entire Cheap Trick set. When they ended, the guy left & didn't come back to see Robert's show!

I saw 2 shows on the Now And Zen tour (Nassau Coliseum & MSG) and Cheap Trick opened up both of them. At the MSG show, there was a guy a few rows in front of us who stood up, waved, cheered & pumped his fist during the entire Cheap Trick set. When they ended, the guy left & didn't come back to see Robert's show!

:o :o :o

Were you at least able to scoff their seats :D

Oh my, he must have been working for Cheap Trick! :o Thanks for the article Steve. Seems to me that 1988 was the year that Robert really "broke out on his own", I mean really putting him in the forefront as an established solo artist, all while not forgetting his legacy with Zeppelin. B)

And in Vancouver, The Georgia Satellites

IMHO, a great tour for Robert

Just for the sake of conversation, 1988 saw Cheap Trick making a bit of a comeback. They had a hit with a cover of Don't Be Cruel

And in Vancouver, The Georgia Satellites

IMHO, a great tour for Robert

Just for the sake of conversation, 1988 saw Cheap Trick making a bit of a comeback. They had a hit with a cover of Don't Be Cruel

How were the Satellites in concert? I didn't know they opened for Robert that year. I really only know that one song which I can't think of the name offhand :slapface:

How were the Satellites in concert? I didn't know they opened for Robert that year. I really only know that one song which I can't think of the name offhand :slapface:

I was never a fan of their's so I would be a bad judge. I was there to see Robert and an openning act was just in the way :D Would have loved it though if it had been SRV

I was never a fan of their's so I would be a bad judge. I was there to see Robert and an openning act was just in the way :D Would have loved it though if it had been SRV

I hear you on that. SRV was amazing as an opener. I was so happy to have had the chance to see him.

I hear you on that. SRV was amazing as an opener. I was so happy to have had the chance to see him.

Wish I had. One of my few regrets not seeing him <_<

On the upside though. I thought Robert and his new band at the time were fantastic. Not having heard any Zep material live for what seemed an eternity, was absolutely brilliant. :)

Wish I had. One of my few regrets not seeing him <_<

On the upside though. I thought Robert and his new band at the time were fantastic. Not having heard any Zep material live for what seemed an eternity, was absolutely brilliant. :)

Yes they were fantastic. Great energy, great musicians. Excellent tour :D

Archived