Plant/Krauss Soar on Billboard

plant-krauss.jpg

Selling 77,000 on a whopping 715% increase, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss' "Raising Sand" (Rounder) zooms 69-2 following its album of the year win at the Grammys. The set debuted at No. 2 in late 2007 with 112,000 and has now sold 1.26 million to date.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/swift-...003942353.story

plant_krauss_wireimage.jpg

Edited by The Pagemeister

All things being relative. I don't really think an additional 77,000 immediately after the big Grammy wins by Robert and Alison are all that impressive, true numbers wise. From number 69 in the charts to no. 2 or 3, whatever it is, is quite a leap. Then again, it's still relative.

Just four years ago, Ray Charles won a grammy for his collaborative album "Genius loves Company".

Grammys boost Ray Charles' album sales in US

Reuters

Posted online: Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 1626 hours IST

LOS ANGELES, February 24: Eight Grammy awards including album of the year helped make Ray Charles' "Genius Loves Company" the hottest CD in U.S. stores this week, up from 15th place in a single week.

"Genius" raced up the sales charts after the Grammys showered it with awards including best album, best record of the year and best top vocal album.

Nielsen Soundscan, which tracks record sales, says it rose to No. 1 on the Top 200 Album Sales charts for the week ended Feb. 20 with sales of 224,000 units,

http://www.expressindia.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=42314

Granted, his movie Ray had just been awarded some Oscars at that time too, notably for Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, but the numbers are THREE times the recent numbers for Raising Sand.

I'm sure Billboard also includes downloads in their 77,000 tally, but I could be wrong. And that would alter those numbers of course. But the point is too, that people just aren't buying music like they used to and that's sad. Every year there should be MORE sales because of the increase in population, but that's just not happening.

I didn't post this to bust anyone's elated bubble, but just to show some stark differences in sales in just FOUR years. :(

Edited by richestkind

I think it's impressive - times are different and you can't compare sales the same way as a few years ago.

No, but the point remains. Music sales are down drastically. It IS A SAD STATE.

And of course you can compare it. If anything the comparison holds MORE water because we have MORE people today to buy music so it's even MORE pertinent.

ALL business relies on MORE sales each year. The music industry notwithstanding.

Business is SHEER numbers, other factors include things like taste and preference. But numbers don't lie and that's my point. Don't be blind to it.

No, but the point remains. Music sales are down drastically. It IS A SAD STATE.

And of course you can compare it. If anything the comparison holds MORE water because we have MORE people today to buy music so it's even MORE pertinent.

ALL business relies on MORE sales each year. The music industry notwithstanding.

Business is SHEER numbers, other factors include things like taste and preference. But numbers don't lie and that's my point. Don't be blind to it.

Yes music sales are down. I'm well aware of how the industry is and I do know about numbers. I don't need you to tell me about being blind thank you.

Yes music sales are down. I'm well aware of how the industry is and I do know about numbers. I don't need you to tell me about being blind thank you.

You made a quick, unresearched post somewhat rebuking my post that I found FACTS for. You just don't like it.

That's too bad. I wish it were more too.

But obviously by the post you made, you DID need to be informed, because you showed that you weren't aware of business needs and practices. Or else you'd have understood in a way of agreement. My post wasn't opinion, it was LACED with facts. Your post wasn't factual, it was opinion.

You made a quick, unresearched post somewhat rebuking my post that I found FACTS for. You just don't like it.

But obviously by the post you made, you DID need to be informed, because you showed that you weren't aware of business needs and practices. Or else you'd have understood in a way of agreement. My post wasn't opinion, it was LACED with facts. Your post wasn't factual, it was opinion.

I find this post uncalled for - speaking to me like I'm an uniformed child Joel. You know nothing about me. How do you know what I've read/researched or not. Not necessary or deserved.

If only you knew how ironic that is. :rolleyes:

Just some more comparative numbers. Doesn't anyone see that ? How can facts be disputed ?

And by the way, I have spent much time in and around the industry and could care less if others know it or not. My message is sound, but it's just another case of shooting the messenger. My posts speak for themselves, can be researched and confirmed. What a bunch of sourpusses, posting one line BORING posts. How bout some substance ?

From last years Grammy's, 2008.

It all starts with the album sitting at #2, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, which

sold more than 115,300 copies (a 368 percent increase from the previous week's

sales), thanks in no small part to the Beehived One's five Grammy wins —

including Record and Song of the Year — and her high-profile, live-via-satellite

performance.

Coming in at #3 is Alicia Keys' As I Am, which has taken up a permanent

residence in the top 10 since being released in November, but still saw sales rise

by 36 percent (more than 108,800 copies this week) after Keys' two Grammy

performances and her win in the Best Female R&B Vocal Performance category.

A week after its surprise win, Herbie Hancock's Joni Mitchell tribute "River: The Joni Letters" exploded 967 per cent to 54,000 copies sold. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200, the jazz legend's best sales week since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991.

So..I'm curious, what do you think of the numbers I posted ?

I guess there are a number of reasons Ray sold more discs after winning the Grammy.

People are increasingly getting their music online. The economy is making it hard for people to spend the cash. Ray Charles is more famous than Robert Plant or Allison Krauss. And his album had the benefit of big name vocalists on the duets. It is impressive that Raising Sand went all the way back up to number 2 when it has been out for a year and a half.

And no doubt Plant and Krauss did better sale after the Grammy win then Herbie Hancock did last year.

I guess there are a number of reasons Ray sold more discs after winning the Grammy.

People are increasingly getting their music online. The economy is making it hard for people to spend the cash. Ray Charles is more famous than Robert Plant or Allison Krauss. And his album had the benefit of big name vocalists on the duets. It is impressive that Raising Sand went all the way back up to number 2 when it has been out for a year and a half.

And no doubt Plant and Krauss did better sale after the Grammy win then Herbie Hancock did last year.

Good post ! Yeah, many reasons for Ray's numbers for sure. As far as Herbie, his percentage rose higher...900+% compared to Raising Sands 700+ %, but yes, both are large.

I'm sure that Billboard number includes downloads too though, whereas the Ray numbers probably didn't as recent as 4 years ago. That's speculation, but could be confirmed quickly if I dealt with it.

It is funny how publicity and popularity is so contagious. I'm sure alot of people throughout time, consider the music, but when they win Grammy's they see it as legitimizing an artwork and feel they want to be a part of the bandwagon. And then of course they're others who just get exposed for the first time and truly just love the music for it's own sake, not just because it's on the TOP rack at Walmart or wherever...hmmm.

For fuck's sake. <_<

Yup, he always gives himself away, especially when someone is disagreeing with his posts that are LACED with FACTS.

Just so you know, Joel, your OTHER username has also been identified.

I just said that because I would hate to post a one-line post (despite the fact I have zero interest in sales numbers and such). :rolleyes:

Not that numbers are important to me either, but here's a breakdown of Billboard's charts this week for Raising Sand:

Top Rock Albums

This week: #1, Last Week: 23, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 35

Top Country Albums

This week: #2, Last Week: 10, Two Weeks Ago: 29, Weeks on Chart: 69

Top Digital Albums

This week: #4, Last Week: 14, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 9

The Billboard 200

This week: #2, Last Week: 69, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 62

Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles

Please Read The Letter

This week: #20, Last Week: NA, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 1

Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles

Rich Woman

This week: #18, Last Week: NA, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 1

Tastemakers

This week: #2, Last Week: NA, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 20

Billboard Comprehensive Albums

This week: #2, Last Week: 70, Two Weeks ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 52

Top Canadian Albums

This week: #8, Last Week: NA, Two Weeks Ago: NA, Weeks on Chart: 7

I hope the charts count for sentences as I didn't know it was a requirement to post more than one line on the boards :rolleyes:

All things being relative. I don't really think an additional 77,000 immediately after the big Grammy wins by Robert and Alison are all that impressive, true numbers wise. From number 69 in the charts to no. 2 or 3, whatever it is, is quite a leap. Then again, it's still relative.

Just four years ago, Ray Charles won a grammy for his collaborative album "Genius loves Company".

Grammys boost Ray Charles' album sales in US

Reuters

Posted online: Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 1626 hours IST

LOS ANGELES, February 24: Eight Grammy awards including album of the year helped make Ray Charles' "Genius Loves Company" the hottest CD in U.S. stores this week, up from 15th place in a single week.

"Genius" raced up the sales charts after the Grammys showered it with awards including best album, best record of the year and best top vocal album.

Nielsen Soundscan, which tracks record sales, says it rose to No. 1 on the Top 200 Album Sales charts for the week ended Feb. 20 with sales of 224,000 units,

http://www.expressindia.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=42314

Granted, his movie Ray had just been awarded some Oscars at that time too, notably for Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, but the numbers are THREE times the recent numbers for Raising Sand.

I'm sure Billboard also includes downloads in their 77,000 tally, but I could be wrong. And that would alter those numbers of course. But the point is too, that people just aren't buying music like they used to and that's sad. Every year there should be MORE sales because of the increase in population, but that's just not happening.

I didn't post this to bust anyone's elated bubble, but just to show some stark differences in sales in just FOUR years. :(

Who cares? I am just glad they are getting the recognition they deserve. I don't care if they sold 1 album the last week, I would've still been proud. Just happy others are discovering what beautiful music they have made together.

Edited by Melanie_72

Just some more comparative numbers. Doesn't anyone see that ? How can facts be disputed ?

And by the way, I have spent much time in and around the industry and could care less if others know it or not. My message is sound, but it's just another case of shooting the messenger. My posts speak for themselves, can be researched and confirmed. What a bunch of sourpusses, posting one line BORING posts. How bout some substance ?

From last years Grammy's, 2008.

It all starts with the album sitting at #2, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, which

sold more than 115,300 copies (a 368 percent increase from the previous week's

sales), thanks in no small part to the Beehived One's five Grammy wins —

including Record and Song of the Year — and her high-profile, live-via-satellite

performance.

Coming in at #3 is Alicia Keys' As I Am, which has taken up a permanent

residence in the top 10 since being released in November, but still saw sales rise

by 36 percent (more than 108,800 copies this week) after Keys' two Grammy

performances and her win in the Best Female R&B Vocal Performance category.

A week after its surprise win, Herbie Hancock's Joni Mitchell tribute "River: The Joni Letters" exploded 967 per cent to 54,000 copies sold. It peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200, the jazz legend's best sales week since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991.

To quote James Carville "It's the economy, stupid!"

Since you want some numbers how about the 2.6 million jobs lost in 2008 in the U.S.? I'm guessing those 2.6 million aren't rushing out to buy a cd, regardless of how much they like it or how many grammys were won. 11.1 million areunemployed, or how about the 8 million that are under-employed - a record 13.5%. Again these are U.S. numbers and thought to be understated.

Agreed the music industry is in trouble, but so is just about everything else. I am impressed that 77,000 people went out and bought what amounts to a luxury item in the midst of extremely difficult economic times.

Who cares? I am just glad they are getting the recognition they deserve. I don't care if they sold 1 album the last week, I would've still been proud. Just happy others are discovering what beautiful music they have made together.

Agreed. The Monday after the Grammys I had 3 different people asking me about the 'Raising Sand' album since they knew I was an RP fan. That never would have happened before the show no matter how hard I had tried to convince them last year. :)