40 Years Gone - Seattle Concert Landmarks

Funny, I posted some of these photos in the Photo section some time ago and no one except Sam has paid any attention. :P

And here is another one.

69seatle.jpg

Can't seem to find them Glicine but any others would be great to see :)

• 2 months later...

I had been looking for a picture of the 1969 Seattle Pop Festival that I saw online a number of months ago, and finally came across this one. The picture I saw was a smaller color photo of the stage, and area in front of the stage. This picture though is great, as it shows the ground, and how the festival that weekend could hold 150,000 people over the course of the three day festival.

This picture was taken the day Zep played, on July 27, 1969. Zep played at night though, after the Doors.

What is interesting is that this photo confirms that this festival was held on flat land, in the valley in Woodinville, and not up in the hills, where Gold Creek Park actually exists. When I drove looking for Gold Creek Park last summer, the actual park exists in the Woodinville foothills. And it seemed odd that a concert festival would be held in the foothills, given the terrain and the attendance figures for the three day festival.

The white building on the left may be the ice skating rink, as noted by a reviewer of the Zep concert in the timeline section. I don't know if anyone from Seattle recognizes this building to be the ice rink, but I'll see if this building still exists next time I'm in Woodinville. I think it does, as I recall possibly driving by a similar looking building this past summer. Perhaps this looks familiar to you Ally?

post-11511-126302605312_thumb.jpg

I had been looking for a picture of the 1969 Seattle Pop Festival that I saw online a number of months ago, and finally came across this one. The picture I saw was a smaller color photo of the stage, and area in front of the stage. This picture though is great, as it shows the ground, and how the festival that weekend could hold 150,000 people over the course of the three day festival.

This picture was taken the day Zep played, on July 27, 1969. Zep played at night though, after the Doors.

What is interesting is that this photo confirms that this festival was held on flat land, in the valley in Woodinville, and not up in the hills, where Gold Creek Park actually exists. When I drove looking for Gold Creek Park last summer, the actual park exists in the Woodinville foothills. And it seemed odd that a concert festival would be held in the foothills, given the terrain and the attendance figures for the three day festival.

The white building on the left may be the ice skating rink, as noted by a reviewer of the Zep concert in the timeline section. I don't know if anyone from Seattle recognizes this building to be the ice rink, but I'll see if this building still exists next time I'm in Woodinville. I think it does, as I recall possibly driving by a similar looking building this past summer. Perhaps this looks familiar to you Ally?

No, I'm affraid I'm not familiar with the building but this photo is way cool ! I haven't knowingly seen any photos of the Seattle Pop Festival prior to this one. Great find smile.gif

Allegedly, this is another photo of the 1969 Seattle Pop Festival:

seattlepopfestival-goldcreekpark.jpg

Here's a present day photo of Gold Creek Park:

goldcreek2.jpg

The domed building looks like it could be the same building as the one in the color photo.

It's almost impossible to believe that there are virtually no photos of this festival. They have to be in archives somewhere.

goldcreek2.jpg

The domed building looks like it could be the same building as the one in the color photo.

It's almost impossible to believe that there are virtually no photos of this festival. They have to be in archives somewhere.

...the microfilm is available at University of Washington...I have delayed the process for sometime to pull in the micro-loan (will get to it soon when time permits)...the original archival articles are available both from Student Press and the Official Press of Seattle..the exact reference is in my email somewhere...

(I would think photos do appear with the articles)...

goldcreek2.jpg

MikeZep61,

Great find! That is the exact photograph I saw last summer, and couldn't find again!

And thank you for the current photo, it confirms that I saw it. In the color photo I submitted, the tree area behind the dome (skating rink?) has the road I traveled going uphill into Gold Creek Park!

...the microfilm is available at University of Washington...I have delayed the process for sometime to pull in the micro-loan (will get to it soon when time permits)...the original archival articles are available both from Student Press and the Official Press of Seattle..the exact reference is in my email somewhere...

(I would think photos do appear with the articles)...

Can't wait to see your findings PlanetPage! :)

Me too !

...yeah guys...it's been on the back burner for a while now...let me find the email now and I shall coordinate the libraries...

...and just in case if anyone is in the duplicate process, please update this post...as Original Micro film in transition is a delicate process...tks..

...yeah guys...it's been on the back burner for a while now...let me find the email now and I shall coordinate the libraries...

...and just in case if anyone is in the duplicate process, please update this post...as Original Micro film in transition is a delicate process...tks..

Will do ! Thanks PlanetPage beer.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to Ms. Higashiyama, Toby and Kreg for their kindest assistance, deeply appreciative for answering my inquiries with perfection and Providing us with these historic articles to follow...thank you!!!!

Excerpt from email today from Linda Higashiyama,Library Associate III,Magazine and Newspapers Dept.Seattle Public Library

"I was able to find one article from the Post-Intelligencer, and one article and photograph from the Seattle Times newspapers. However, the Seattle Times article and photograph did not include Led Zeppelin, but I thought you might be able to use it in context of general information concerning the festival itself.

Please note that the file names are citation information, in case you will be citing this for a book, magazine article, or website."

additional information via email from Ms. Higashiyama, re. other publications surrounding Woodenville area

The Seattle Public Library has both the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Seattle Times on microfilm. As a public library, we also have issues with high-usage of our collection. I was able to check the microfilm of both papers, and unfortunately, there are scratches on our films for both papers.

Thank you also for the information from your additional "Ask-a-Question" session regarding the "Helix" magazine. The Helix was a weekly publication based in Seattle. I've checked all of the November and December 1969 issues hoping to find an advertisement or review of the Led Zeppelin performance, but there wasn't anything in any of these. I'm not sure if it wasn't covered, since it was held in Woodinville as opposed to Seattle, or if it wasn't very well covered because the 1969 Seattle Pop Festival was the first one held.

Additionally, I checked the Music File in our Arts, Recreation and Leisure department to see if there were any articles that may have been clipped during that time period regarding Led Zeppelin or the Seattle Pop Festival, but was unsuccessful.

I also checked our print sources to see if there were any Woodinville newspapers published in the late 60s, but did not find any listings (as late as the late 70s, Woodinville was mostly farmland). I also checked to see if there were any Bothell newspapers in publication at the time, since Bothell is the nearest city to Woodinville, but did not find any listings. The next closest city would be Kirkland, and the local newspaper at the time was published under the name, "East Side Journal" in the 1960s.

...The Helix has confirmed pictures and articles July 31, 1969...I will check this later...along with East Side Journal...the History Piece posted at the beginning of this thread by Alley quotes this publication, I don't know about pictures...will look into later...

Thank you to Ms. Higashiyama, Toby and Kreg for their kindest assistance, deeply appreciative for answering my inquiries with perfection and Providing us with these historic articles to follow...thank you!!!!

Excerpt from email today from Linda Higashiyama,Library Associate III,Magazine and Newspapers Dept.Seattle Public Library

"I was able to find one article from the Post-Intelligencer, and one article and photograph from the Seattle Times newspapers. However, the Seattle Times article and photograph did not include Led Zeppelin, but I thought you might be able to use it in context of general information concerning the festival itself.

Please note that the file names are citation information, in case you will be citing this for a book, magazine article, or website."

additional information via email from Ms. Higashiyama, re. other publications surrounding Woodenville area

The Seattle Public Library has both the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Seattle Times on microfilm. As a public library, we also have issues with high-usage of our collection. I was able to check the microfilm of both papers, and unfortunately, there are scratches on our films for both papers.

Thank you also for the information from your additional "Ask-a-Question" session regarding the "Helix" magazine. The Helix was a weekly publication based in Seattle. I've checked all of the November and December 1969 issues hoping to find an advertisement or review of the Led Zeppelin performance, but there wasn't anything in any of these. I'm not sure if it wasn't covered, since it was held in Woodinville as opposed to Seattle, or if it wasn't very well covered because the 1969 Seattle Pop Festival was the first one held.

Additionally, I checked the Music File in our Arts, Recreation and Leisure department to see if there were any articles that may have been clipped during that time period regarding Led Zeppelin or the Seattle Pop Festival, but was unsuccessful.

I also checked our print sources to see if there were any Woodinville newspapers published in the late 60s, but did not find any listings (as late as the late 70s, Woodinville was mostly farmland). I also checked to see if there were any Bothell newspapers in publication at the time, since Bothell is the nearest city to Woodinville, but did not find any listings. The next closest city would be Kirkland, and the local newspaper at the time was published under the name, "East Side Journal" in the 1960s.

...The Helix has confirmed pictures and articles July 31, 1969...I will check this later...along with East Side Journal...the History Piece posted at the beginning of this thread by Alley quotes this publication, I don't know about pictures...will look into later...

Vlad is the the man PP. He holds the key. When I have a little spare time, I will recheck the Vancouver newspaper archives to see if there is another who may be able to shed some light into this dark trail. . Vlad's got the photo essay and if he's lurking, it would be great to have him post the photos he took. Short of that, a kick up the arse wouldn't be a bad idea laugh.gif

• 5 months later...

Archived