Guitar Effects on "Nobody's Fault But Mine"

Terry50

• 4 weeks later...

How does Jimmy get that guitar sound in the song "Nobody's fault but mine"??

Terry

Hi Terry,

To my knowledge, it hasn't ever been 100% confirmed but he possibly used an old Script MXR Phase 90 (which he used with the live version). Soundwise in term of the octaving, Dazedjeffy is likely correct(boy didn't he go after than WH-1 at the 02 show or what???) but I can't help speculate he ran through an Eventide H910 Harmonizer.

• 3 months later...

the key is to listen to the last note that Jimmy lets hang and echo on the riff, and what effects can you hear carrying the sound? im hearing mostly MXR Phase 90 which is what im 100% sure he used in the studio too, but he could've used the Harmonizer just a little little bit and thats why we get such an unidentifiable but thick as fuck phase tone...

keep in mind, listen to The Rover's phase 90 slathered intro? it sounds perfect, the phase sweeps perfectly with the timing, and its very hard to dial in that sound on my own script Phase 90. BUT, remember Jimmy was the studio professional of all time, and Im sure any kinda sound he wanted to get out of any pedal he could get it and could also use some studio gimmickry or pedals in unison with the main sound to accomodate is tonal aspirations

• 4 years later...

Yea, on Presence it sounds like a flanger since each note starts a swirl sound, as opposed to a constant phase.

Live, he kept things simple on stage, so prolly just didn't want to add another stomp  box to the wooden pedal board he made.

(Also, listen closely and hear the open B string ringing on the studio version, on the main track (not the octave higher overdubbed track). If you don't hear it at first, slow the speed down. This means he is playing the riff entirely on the G string. Just good to note, if performing the studio version live, and you wanna get that sound. But using an octave effect gets crapped sounding with that note added, and of course turn it off on the E chord at the end of the riff.)

I'm playing it on the G string live (no octave effect tho), as well as now incorporating a 'shy slide' to get a more delta blues effect. All about the roots.. It sounds cool...

Edited by Scott Hathaway
more info.

• 4 months later...

There is no way... NO WAY that the studio version is a phaser.  It is, without a doubt, flanging that is happening on the studio version.  Whether they used a piece of gear to get the flanging OR they did actual "flanging" using the tape reels - I have not been able to track down.  It is likely they did the flanging "the old fashioned" way because stomp box or rack mount flangers didn't come out until later.  Live, he use an MXR phase 90.  I submit that Page used the phase 90 live to get a quasi-flange sound because nothing else was available at the time.  To me it's pretty obvious that the studio version is not a phase shifter.

• 4 weeks later...