Achilles 4/3/77

mrledhed

13 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Because heroin. Because Page didn't pick up a fucking guitar for a month before the tour started. Because a lot of things, probably...

I always find that a bit of a cop out 'I didn't pick up a guitar for a month because all of the gear had been shipped to the states'. Surely a millionaire rock star like Page had a huge collection of guitars...

As you said he probably spent that month in a smack induced haze.

On 1/11/2016 at 3:42 PM, tom kid said:

I always find that a bit of a cop out 'I didn't pick up a guitar for a month because all of the gear had been shipped to the states'. Surely a millionaire rock star like Page had a huge collection of guitars...

As you said he probably spent that month in a smack induced haze.

Absolutely Page's whole excuse for not picking up a guitar is a cop out...and totally unprofessional behaviour for a musician of his stature. I mean, Jesus Christ- was the smack that good, Jimmy?

I just listened to this whole gig yesterday. I don't get the impression that Jimmy is out of it; he plays with a drive and attack that suggests he's basically in good shape. His playing isn't particularly sticky. But his leadwork is rusty as hell. He gets away with it on songs like NFBM or TU, where he can just attack. But things which need a more structured approach such as ALS are a disaster. He sounds like he's playing ALS for the first time and hasn't really worked out how to go about it. As anyone who's ever tried to play some of these songs will affirm, you just can't wing it like that. Reminds me of the old Eric Morecambe gag: 'I AM playing all the right notes... just not necessarily in the right order' :)

Jimmy also seems to have a lot of tuning issues too, which I don't think can be put down to a bad tape. He disappears completely for a while in NQ, for example, while he tries to put it right.

The real influence of drugs in 1976/77 I think is that nobody seemed to realise this was where the band were heading. Not Jimmy, not Peter Grant, and on this evidence not jimmy's guitar tech either! I wonder what Robert was thinking about it all at that early point.

Jimmy's travails aside, 4/3/77 is actually a pretty good gig. Robert sings great throughout, and the drums propel it all with a lot of energy.

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Jimmy's travails aside, 4/3/77 is actually a pretty good gig. Robert sings great throughout, and the drums propel it all with a lot of energy.

Funniest part of the show is when, after Page does his Noise Solo/"Mars Bringer Of War" bit, Bonzo goes right into the "Dazed and Confused" drumming :lol: 

Just now, Nutrocker said:

Funniest part of the show is when, after Page does his Noise Solo/"Mars Bringer Of War" bit, Bonzo goes right into the "Dazed and Confused" drumming :lol: 

Yes, I spotted that too! I got the impression Bonham just wanted to get on with it. Or he just got back onstage and instinctively did a few fills before realising he needed to keep quiet. Maybe he thought Jimmy was just tuning up or something.

Archived