Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
LedZeppfan1977

World Cup 2018 (Russia) Contest

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

http://www.espn.com/soccer/table/_/league/fifa.world

Above are the World Cup fields.  All set.  So pick two teams in each group you think will come out and survive to make it to round 2.

Group A  Russia and Egypt  (changed my mind on this one but this one counts)

Group B  Spain and Portugal

Group C  France and Denmark

Group D  Argentina ( very reluctantly) and Croatia

Group E Brazil and Switzerland

Group F Mexico and Germany

Group G England  and Belgium

Group H Columbia and Poland

 

Round 2 we make more and get 1 point for each correct in round 1

Lets pick the champion now.  25 points for correct champion

My pick is England

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Group A   Russia - Egypt. 

Group B   Portugal - Spain.

Group C   France - Denmark.

Group D   Iceland - Croatia.

Group E   Brazil - Switzerland.

Group F   Germany - Sweden.

Group G   England - Belgium.

Group H   Poland - Colombia.

 

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Group A   Uruguay - Egypt

Group B   Portugal - Spain

Group C   France - Australia

Group D   Argentina - Croatia

Group E   Brazil - Switzerland (IMHO, this is the "group of death")

Group F   Germany - Sweden

Group G   Belgium - England

Group H   Poland - Colombia

 

predicted champion (for now) - Belgium

Edited by ForEvermore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group A  Uruguay, Egypt

Group B  Portugal, Spain

Group C  France, Peru

Group D  Argentina, Iceland

Group E  Brazil, Costa Rica

Group F  Germany, Sweden

Group G  Belgium, England

Group H  Colombia, Japan 

Champion:  Germany 🇩🇪 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, JTM said:

Group A   Russia - Egypt. 

Group B   Portugal - Spain.

Group C   France - Denmark.

Group D   Iceland - Croatia.

Group E   Brazil - Switzerland.

Group F   Germany - Sweden.

Group G   England - Belgium.

Group H   Poland - Colombia.

Champions,  Russia (home advantage) [subject to change]

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 5:33 PM, JTM said:

 

Wow.   Gutsy picking Russia.  I say no shot.  I am more afraid of our other member and his Belgium pick. I think he is on to something with Belgium.  But I am going England.  I will also cheer for Mexico.  Come on Sean. Get in on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Wow.   Gutsy picking Russia.  I say no shot.  I am more afraid of our other member and his Belgium pick. I think he is on to something with Belgium.  But I am going England.  I will also cheer for Mexico.  Come on Sean. Get in on this

You say no shot, but look at what’s happening worldwide with Russia behind it. Don’t put anything past them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is, where are all of the other picks???  Strider, CP, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Wow.   Gutsy picking Russia.  I say no shot.  I am more afraid of our other member and his Belgium pick. I think he is on to something with Belgium.  But I am going England.  I will also cheer for Mexico.  Come on Sean. Get in on this

That could change once the group stages are over, everything is an unknown until  the tournament is underway. All my current choices are based on past form (and a little national pride) so at the moment the prediction for Russia still stands, home advantage has been a factor in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group A   Uruguay - Russia

Group B   Spain - Portugal

Group C   France - Australia

Group D   Argentina - Croatia

Group E   Brazil - Switzerland

Group F   Germany - Sweden

Group G   Belgium - England

Group H   Poland - Senegal

Champion: France 🇫🇷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group A   Uruguay - Russia

Group B   Portugal - Spain

Group C   France - Australia

Group D   Argentina - Croatia

Group E   Brazil - Costa Rica

Group F   Germany - Mexico

Group G   Belgium - England

Group H   Poland - Colombia

 

Champions : France

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Walter said:

The question is, where are all of the other picks???  Strider, CP, etc...

I am really disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm and the sheer stubborn behavior of some members that could take 3 minutes of their "precious time" and fill out a bloody bracket.  Its just ridiculous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/soccer/worldcup/CBS_WC_Printable_Bracket.pdf

Above is a bracket that might make things easier.  If you still want in we will extend until kickoff of first game tomorrow.  All will be awarded a win for Russia today if a new member joins.  Last chance.  And thanks to those that are in to participate in this, the only true World championship of team sports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 2:24 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am really disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm and the sheer stubborn behavior of some members that could take 3 minutes of their "precious time" and fill out a bloody bracket.  Its just ridiculous

As i have said I have been in Portugal for 2 weeks and it may come as a shock to some, we chose not to watch TV or the "net" so as I arrived home after the tourney had started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a disgrace to the sport are Iran.  Playing this trap and trying to get a 0-0 tie with Spain.  But the faking of the injuries, and caught red handed is too much.  They should get a red card for that shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 10:45 PM, Walter said:

You say no shot, but look at what’s happening worldwide with Russia behind it. Don’t put anything past them....

Boy did we get smoked picking those Egyptian mummies.  Oh well.  That Columbia division is nuts.  Walter picked the Japs.  I still do not believe.  I think they will get smoked next game. And Columbia finds a way vs Poland.  LedZeg66 was smart maybe to pick Senegal.  I did not see them coming.  That Australia vs Denmark game is big in the morning tomorrow.  I actually like Aussies now because Denmark has 3 yellow cards.  They should have given Iran one for playing possum so often.  They were caught red handed several times faking injuries.  I cant stand that shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Boy did we get smoked picking those Egyptian mummies.  Oh well.  That Columbia division is nuts.  Walter picked the Japs.  I still do not believe.  I think they will get smoked next game. And Columbia finds a way vs Poland.  LedZeg66 was smart maybe to pick Senegal.  I did not see them coming.  That Australia vs Denmark game is big in the morning tomorrow.  I actually like Aussies now because Denmark has 3 yellow cards.  They should have given Iran one for playing possum so often.  They were caught red handed several times faking injuries.  I cant stand that shit.

Like I said before, any credit in this pool goes to Jr.  My knowledge of worldwide soccer is very limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Walter said:

Like I said before, any credit in this pool goes to Jr.  My knowledge of worldwide soccer is very limited.

Long way to go.  Its mind boggling how teams like Costa Rica and Panama and some others could qualify over Italy and the Netherlands.  I wonder just how equal and fair the qualifying system is?  Can Panama really be better than Italy?  I doubt it.  I just cant believe Italy is not in the World Cup.  I am sure its the first time in my life and maybe ever?  Maybe someone knows?  So far the two "monsters" if you will, Brazil and Germany are waiting for their first win, though be it only one game has been played.  I expect them both to win their next game. I wold not want  to be Costa Rica who plays Brazil.  This early game today is pretty huge in that group, between Australia and Denmark.  I picked Denmark to get out of the first round but I actually think Australia as the edge here due to the 3 yellow cards Denmark has. And they were fortunate to escape Peru and that speedy offense. Could give France fits?  I am taking a light shot on Croatia to knock off Argentina.  England are huge favorites vs Panama and I hope they play like it.  To me its strange Mexico is only favored by a half a goal vs S Korea.  I think Mexico will handle them easily.  So I am picking Mexico big in that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Long way to go.  Its mind boggling how teams like Costa Rica and Panama and some others could qualify over Italy and the Netherlands.  I wonder just how equal and fair the qualifying system is?  Can Panama really be better than Italy?  I doubt it.  I just cant believe Italy is not in the World Cup.  I am sure its the first time in my life and maybe ever?  Maybe someone knows?  So far the two "monsters" if you will, Brazil and Germany are waiting for their first win, though be it only one game has been played.  I expect them both to win their next game. I wold not want  to be Costa Rica who plays Brazil.  This early game today is pretty huge in that group, between Australia and Denmark.  I picked Denmark to get out of the first round but I actually think Australia as the edge here due to the 3 yellow cards Denmark has. And they were fortunate to escape Peru and that speedy offense. Could give France fits?  I am taking a light shot on Croatia to knock off Argentina.  England are huge favorites vs Panama and I hope they play like it.  To me its strange Mexico is only favored by a half a goal vs S Korea.  I think Mexico will handle them easily.  So I am picking Mexico big in that one.

Qualifying for the WC Finals is dependent on countries coming through their regional group (. ie Europe, The Americas, Asia, Africa etc. Italy did not come through the Europe group neither did The Netherlands, USA did not come through their group either. Try the wiki link below for a better explanation..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm getting sick of having to watch some of the games on itv, commercial breaks are such a waste of time. Thank fook for the mighty uncomercialised BBC.  That itv Ray Winstone  bet365  ad makes me want to throw a brick through the TV, adverts, I fucking hate them..

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brutal first half by Peru.  Yo Chillumpuffer or whatever that name is, I see Jamie Vardy listed on the England lineup.  I believe he is available.  He should be for Gods sake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Brutal first half by Peru.  Yo Chillumpuffer or whatever that name is, I see Jamie Vardy listed on the England lineup.  I believe he is available.  He should be for Gods sake

Vardy will go on if he is fit, or if he is part of the manager Darren Southgate's strategy. For certain he will be used at some point. Vardy is one player in a squad of twenty three,  he's not the star he's just another player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JTM said:

Vardy will go on if he is fit, or if he is part of the manager Darren Southgate's strategy. For certain he will be used at some point. Vardy is one player in a squad of twenty three,  he's not the star he's just another player. 

To me he is a star.  And has proved so with Leicester City.  Anyway, do you know how the rules work in regard to Denmark having 4 yellow cards now?  If one of those players gets another does it not turn into a red and a man short?  Does the card carry on to all 3 games in first round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

To me he is a star.  And has proved so with Leicester City.  Anyway, do you know how the rules work in regard to Denmark having 4 yellow cards now?  If one of those players gets another does it not turn into a red and a man short?  Does the card carry on to all 3 games in first round?

Two yellows in one game gets a red card, two yellows in different games gets a suspension in the next game. All accumulated cards are reset for the semi finals for the teams that get there..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×