Pink Floyd

Not all of Roger's lyrics are whining, though. Everything to about Animals was great. But once he started getting all pissy and political, I think the quality of the lyrics decreased. That went hand in hand with him taking increased control of the group, to the detriment of the other three guys. I mean, he all but forced Rick Wright out and Nick Mason was next on the chopping block.

I don't fault him for having a vision. I fault him for thinking he was greater than the sum of his parts. He's a great writer and a great musician, I've never disputed that. I just can't stand what his ego did to the music. The band that made The Dark Side of the Moon and Meddle and Wish You Were Here was too good to make The Wall and The Final Cut. Those albums are below their talent level.

The lyrics and imagery that the Wall album and movie leaves you with would make you think that Water's mom was an old, hideous, overbearing hag. But I read she was the hottest mom in that town, which all the group members grew up in. I think I posted the story about how her panties were frequently stolen from their washline, and the whole Arnold Layne connection theory. Maybe Roger was not obsessed with himself, but Syd?

Maybe Roger was not obsessed with himself, but Syd?

Roger himself has said that the character Pink was very much about Syd, much like the lyrics on the disc "Wish You Were Here" were as well. Yes, Roger's father was killed in WWII - like many other children born in the UK at that time period. But the idea of isolation, not being able to deal with a rock star status and, of course, the effects of drugs on the psyche all played parts of the story (among many other things) of Pink and Syd both. I know he felt bad about the way the group dismissed Syd from the band and went on without him. Roger (and David Gilmour) always made sure that royalties were paid out to Syd and his family. The band history is really kinda of a sad one, especially recently with the unexpected passing of Rick Wright. What a reunion set they played a few years ago!! That makes Roger and David/the band's feud the last 20+ years even more disheartening.

Yeah but Rick himself said that just before work commenced on The Wall, he'd released a solo album and had no material left to offer the band. Dave Gilmour was in the same boat. So when they got back to record, basically Roger was the only member who had any material. He had two concept album ideas: The Wall and The Pros And Cons of Hitchiking, and the band decided to go with The Wall.

As far as Rick producing The Wall, according again to Nick Mason, Roger agreed to it, then got annoyed because Rick didn't seem to be contributing anything, which left Roger thinking that Rick was just after more money.

I don't think The Wall destroyed Pink Floyd at all, They've pretty much admitted that the band was in trouble after DSOTM, I guess it comes down to the fact that Dave and Roger wanted to go in different directions, and maybe I agree with Roger's direction, because after him Pink Floyd seemed like it had had its balls cut off. I really felt Momentary Lapse of Reason was an awful album. The Final Cut was too, but at least it had an unmistakable angst about it

The Final Cut was the final cut. Waters was too big a douche. He wanted to do it all himself. I can't stand people like Waters. I liked the direction of Gilmour and what the band did. Wright came back and they were able to work together again.

I do thing Waters was obsessed with himself or Syd like others have said. Pink Floyd is a band that made millions on albums about one guy. Whether it was Syd or Waters.

Dark Side of the Moon - Syd Barrett

Wish You Were Here - Syd Barrett

The Wall - Roger Waters.

The Final Cut was the final cut. Waters was too big a douche. He wanted to do it all himself. I can't stand people like Waters. I liked the direction of Gilmour and what the band did. Wright came back and they were able to work together again.

I do thing Waters was obsessed with himself or Syd like others have said. Pink Floyd is a band that made millions on albums about one guy. Whether it was Syd or Waters.

Dark Side of the Moon - Syd Barrett

Wish You Were Here - Syd Barrett

The Wall - Roger Waters.

I think if you're gonna say Waters was obsessed with himself, you have to say the same thing about any other artist such as Dylan or Lennon or Bowie or whoever. All those guys wrote songs that represented themselves and were specifically about themselves. Lennon said "I write about me because that's the only thing I really know about".

I don't see how The Wall is any different to Lennon's first solo album, both guys are writing and singing about how they're feeling at that point in time, and both albums express a level of bitterness towards the world.

To say that Waters wrote the Wall by himself is not completely true. Waters wrote the LYRICS.

Interestingly enough, there has been some PF stuff on VH1 Classic this past week talking about this very subject.

Waters admits to being an egomaniac now.

Some interesting stuff on Wikipedia too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Waters

yes I know. Did you see Which One is Pink? Thats what I saw.

I love Pink Floyd. Never saw they in person (i mean, a Pink Floyd Live show), and i couldn't see Waters in 2006 i think when he came over to Argentina.

But realy i trying to folow the job of David Gilmour, because i like it more than the work of Waters...

My favorite album: PULSE

I love Pink Floyd. Never saw they in person (i mean, a Pink Floyd Live show), and i couldn't see Waters in 2006 i think when he came over to Argentina.

But realy i trying to folow the job of David Gilmour, because i like it more than the work of Waters...

My favorite album: PULSE

Pulse is a great album. You should watch the DVD.

Archived