Pink Floyd

I bought some of my favorite albums on vinyl from my guitar teacher who has 10,000+ yesterday. I have the complete set of Led Zeppelin albums now and I am waiting fro Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall.

I recently read an article in Guitar Legends magazine and it was about The Wall and how it basically destroyed Pink Floyd. The album it self was basically a Roger Waters solo album. He did all the writting and wanted no help. That why Rick Wright was fired or quit. It just said he left and didnt come back. He thought that he was prodcuing the album or helping produce it when it turned out it was all Waters.

Sure, Waters was in charge of the album, but Gilmour was apparently in charge of writing the good tunes.

Also, even if you aren't into the Syd stuff(I'm not) you should be starting earlier than DSOTM. Add Obscured By Clouds and Meddle.

I bought some of my favorite albums on vinyl from my guitar teacher who has 10,000+ yesterday. I have the complete set of Led Zeppelin albums now and I am waiting fro Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall.

I recently read an article in Guitar Legends magazine and it was about The Wall and how it basically destroyed Pink Floyd. The album it self was basically a Roger Waters solo album. He did all the writting and wanted no help. That why Rick Wright was fired or quit. It just said he left and didnt come back. He thought that he was prodcuing the album or helping produce it when it turned out it was all Waters.

How's it going "JimmyPageZoSo56?" I love PINK FLOYD! I have seen them live five times. I own all of PINK FLOYD'S albums on Vinyl/LP and CD. I also own "MEDDLE," "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" and "THE WALL" in the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING series by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) on Vinyl/LP and the 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC CD. I also have "ATOM HEART MOTHER" on 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC CD and "WISH YOU WERE HERE" on a 24 KT. Gold CD by Sony's MASTERSOUND which is a 20-Bit Super Bit Mapping process. If you haven't PINK FLOYD'S albums by MFSL on Vinyl/LP and the 24 KT. Gold CD, you are missing out big time. Believe me when I tell you that you will be able to hear a huge difference in sound quality when listening and comparing the regular Vinyl/LP and CD releases to the MFSL Vinyl/LP and 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC CD's. You have to hear it to believe it. ROCK ON!

How's it going "JimmyPageZoSo56?" I love PINK FLOYD! I have seen them live five times. I own all of PINK FLOYD'S albums on Vinyl/LP and CD. I also own "MEDDLE," "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" and "THE WALL" in the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING series by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) on Vinyl/LP and the 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC CD. I also have "ATOM HEART MOTHER" on 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC CD and "WISH YOU WERE HERE" on a 24 KT. Gold CD by Sony's MASTERSOUND which is a 20-Bit Super Bit Mapping process. If you haven't PINK FLOYD'S albums by MFSL on Vinyl/LP and the 24 KT. Gold CD, you are missing out big time. Believe me when I tell you that you will be able to hear a huge difference in sound quality when listening and comparing the regular Vinyl/LP and CD releases to the MFSL Vinyl/LP and 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC CD's. You have to hear it to believe it. ROCK ON!

ZeppFanForever, what years did you see them?

Sure, Waters was in charge of the album, but Gilmour was apparently in charge of writing the good tunes.

Also, even if you aren't into the Syd stuff(I'm not) you should be starting earlier than DSOTM. Add Obscured By Clouds and Meddle.

I have listened to those years. Obscured by Clouds is awesome but Echoes and beyond is what I like.

I have this and to me it sounds better than any of the remasters from their regular label.

How's it going "Himalayan?" I would advise anybody to find and buy PINK FLOYD'S "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" by MFSL. MFSL truly gave "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" a new life of sound that no one thought was even possible. MFSL gave the album such an incredible sound that you feel that you are listening to the album for the first time in a different way. In many ways, MFSL released "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" so everyone can finally listen to the album and feel the music through their speakers. With this in mind, this is the REAL way "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" was originally intended to be heard. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Himalayan?" I would advise anybody to find and buy PINK FLOYD'S "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" by MFSL. MFSL truly gave "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" a new life of sound that no one thought was even possible. MFSL gave the album such an incredible sound that you feel that you are listening to the album for the first time in a different way. In many ways, MFSL released "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" so everyone can finally listen to the album and feel the music through their speakers. With this in mind, this is the REAL way "THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON" was originally intended to be heard. ROCK ON!

Thanks for the recommendation! That is one dics I would definitely want the highest upgrade with.

Yeah but Rick himself said that just before work commenced on The Wall, he'd released a solo album and had no material left to offer the band. Dave Gilmour was in the same boat. So when they got back to record, basically Roger was the only member who had any material. He had two concept album ideas: The Wall and The Pros And Cons of Hitchiking, and the band decided to go with The Wall.

As far as Rick producing The Wall, according again to Nick Mason, Roger agreed to it, then got annoyed because Rick didn't seem to be contributing anything, which left Roger thinking that Rick was just after more money.

I don't think The Wall destroyed Pink Floyd at all, They've pretty much admitted that the band was in trouble after DSOTM, I guess it comes down to the fact that Dave and Roger wanted to go in different directions, and maybe I agree with Roger's direction, because after him Pink Floyd seemed like it had had its balls cut off. I really felt Momentary Lapse of Reason was an awful album. The Final Cut was too, but at least it had an unmistakable angst about it

I bought Dark Side of the Moon a week ago and I have to say it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. I hadn't heard any songs on the album (expect maybe Money but didn't really remember anything of it) and now I'm already planning to buy more Pink Floyd albums.

I have a feeling that Pink Floyd might be the next big thing for me.

I bought Dark Side of the Moon a week ago and I have to say it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. I hadn't heard any songs on the album (expect maybe Money but didn't really remember anything of it) and now I'm already planning to buy more Pink Floyd albums.

I have a feeling that Pink Floyd might be the next big thing for me.

Once you hear one song off DSOTM, it does leave you wanting to hear the entire album. I surprised that you have heard Time, since it's classic rock radio favorite.

Yeah but Rick himself said that just before work commenced on The Wall, he'd released a solo album and had no material left to offer the band. Dave Gilmour was in the same boat. So when they got back to record, basically Roger was the only member who had any material. He had two concept album ideas: The Wall and The Pros And Cons of Hitchiking, and the band decided to go with The Wall.

As far as Rick producing The Wall, according again to Nick Mason, Roger agreed to it, then got annoyed because Rick didn't seem to be contributing anything, which left Roger thinking that Rick was just after more money.

I don't think The Wall destroyed Pink Floyd at all, They've pretty much admitted that the band was in trouble after DSOTM, I guess it comes down to the fact that Dave and Roger wanted to go in different directions, and maybe I agree with Roger's direction, because after him Pink Floyd seemed like it had had its balls cut off. I really felt Momentary Lapse of Reason was an awful album. The Final Cut was too, but at least it had an unmistakable angst about it

Yes, they almost broke up after DSOTM and also almost titled Wish You Were Here as Wish We Were Here. Gilmour wanted more input with the songs and Roger progressively took control in every aspect, including the music. For better or for worse. As you said, Gilmour put out a solo album between Animals and The Wall and did not have much to give at the beginning of The Wall sessions. He wanted the band to write together - like the albums prior to Animals - but Roger had the whole concept already in place when they began. Incidentally, The Division Bell was purposely written with David, Rick and Nick getting together and jamming/writing the music together to give it an earlier Pink Floyd feel to it and I think it worked. It didn't have the lyrical bite to it that Roger's stuff with the band did, but it was waaaaay better than Momentary Lapse... It is also said that The Wall is in so many small parts so Roger would get more money on the royalties for songwriting.

An interesting side note is that Rick Wright was fired after The Wall album was completed, but rehired as a side musician for the tour. Well, the tour became costly and actually lost money because it could not be taken very easily on the road to many different locations, but Rick Wright made money from the tour being a side musician. Poetic justice in some sense.

I agree that without Roger the Floyd lost its "balls", but Roger's solo music has never been very good without Gilmour's guitar and Wright's piano/keyboards. The Final Cut taken as individual songs is good, but as an album gets very boring - IMO.

Roger was the only member who had any material. He had two concept album ideas: The Wall and The Pros And Cons of Hitchiking, and the band decided to go with The Wall.

I was so suprised to find that out, long after seeing the Pros and Cons tour. What a disappointment that show was, the biggest I've ever experienced from a "performance". The anticipation of finally seeing Waters and Clapton, and then sitting there listening to a bunch of pre-recorded sound effects, foreign chatter, and saxophone filler. For all of the criticism the Wall gets, I've heard the tour itself was awesome.

I have listened to those years. Obscured by Clouds is awesome but Echoes and beyond is what I like.

I consider Echoes their masterpiece song, but can understand the middle part not appealing to many listeners, as it falls outside of what is normally considered "music". Under the right circumstances(headphones, darkness, isolation, etc.), it can be mind altering . Actually, each different element of the song can bring emotions that I normally don't experience in music. The beginning is so soothing, but the undersea sounds bring extreme fright, then relief - as the sonar signals the anticipated release point. The Meddle album itself has a few songs (in the middle) that really don't belong, I would recommend Animals and Wish You Were Here as their most consistently great albums.

I consider Echoes their masterpiece song, but can understand the middle part not appealing to many listeners, as it falls outside of what is normally considered "music". Under the right circumstances(headphones, darkness, isolation, etc.), it can be mind altering . Actually, each different element of the song can bring emotions that I normally don't experience in music. The beginning is so soothing, but the undersea sounds bring extreme fright, then relief - as the sonar signals the anticipated release point. The Meddle album itself has a few songs (in the middle) that really don't belong, I would recommend Animals and Wish You Were Here as their most consistently great albums.

Echoes is an incredible song - Meddle is one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums next to DSOTM. I remember when David Gilmour played it live in concert, the audience went nuts!

Wish You Were Here is also in the top list. I like Animals but I can't say it's my favorite.

Love them, love them, love them, love them. Have all their albums on vinyl (except The Final Cut), in fact I just bought a new copy of Obscured by Clouds.

Re: Team David vs. Team Roger, you need to look at it this way. Roger Waters is a musician, David Gilmour is an artist. Roger likes the songs played exactly to the album version, no derivation, innovation or straying from the norm. David likes to play the way the emotion takes him. No one solo is done the same way, sometimes he'll do it acoustic, sometimes he'll throw in a cello....whatever. It's what moves him at that moment on stage. For me, I'd rather the creativity than being stuffed in a box. Which I felt David was toward the end. Someone with his passion for playing shouldn't be forced to stay in straight little lines all the time, you have to give him the latitude to just (in his words) "blow away for an hour" and play.

As for favorites......I couldn't possibly pick one song or one album I prefer above all others. I play DSoTM a lot, but I've also been playing Animals a lot too. Very underrated I think, at least amongst their other work.

And no offense to anyone who likes The Wall, but that is a pile of unadulterated pap. There's three songs on there I like (Run Like Hell, Young Lust, Comfortably Numb) and they are shockingly (okay maybe not so much) 3 of the 4 songs Roger deigned to let someone else contribute on. That album is Roger's daddy issues being splayed everywhere. I find it boring, dull and completely soulless. I own it because I want to own all their work, but it's the album I play the absolute least.

Love them, love them, love them, love them. Have all their albums on vinyl (except The Final Cut), in fact I just bought a new copy of Obscured by Clouds.

Re: Team David vs. Team Roger, you need to look at it this way. Roger Waters is a musician, David Gilmour is an artist. Roger likes the songs played exactly to the album version, no derivation, innovation or straying from the norm. David likes to play the way the emotion takes him. No one solo is done the same way, sometimes he'll do it acoustic, sometimes he'll throw in a cello....whatever. It's what moves him at that moment on stage. For me, I'd rather the creativity than being stuffed in a box. Which I felt David was toward the end. Someone with his passion for playing shouldn't be forced to stay in straight little lines all the time, you have to give him the latitude to just (in his words) "blow away for an hour" and play.

As for favorites......I couldn't possibly pick one song or one album I prefer above all others. I play DSoTM a lot, but I've also been playing Animals a lot too. Very underrated I think, at least amongst their other work.

And no offense to anyone who likes The Wall, but that is a pile of unadulterated pap. There's three songs on there I like (Run Like Hell, Young Lust, Comfortably Numb) and they are shockingly (okay maybe not so much) 3 of the 4 songs Roger deigned to let someone else contribute on. That album is Roger's daddy issues being splayed everywhere. I find it boring, dull and completely soulless. I own it because I want to own all their work, but it's the album I play the absolute least.

I've never been a big fan of The Wall either. There are some interesting cuts on it - Comfortably Numb, Goodbye Blue Sky, Mother and a few others I don't mind but I never listen to it.

I agree that without Roger the Floyd lost its "balls", but Roger's solo music has never been very good without Gilmour's guitar and Wright's piano/keyboards. The Final Cut taken as individual songs is good, but as an album gets very boring - IMO.

Yeah I completely agree with you, I thinkt hat combination of Gilmour's musicality and Waters's concepts is what made PInk Floyd outstanding. It is a shame that Gilmour just wanted to write songs and that Roger got so controlling,

I don't listen to all of The Wall, I agree that some of the music is crap, but what really saves it for me is Roger's lyrics.

You say Roger's lyrics, I say Roger's whining. I'll give him Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell and Young Lust. I like those songs, the first one I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE.

But that leaves 17 other songs on a double album that are just.......not those three. And if I have to hear that damn "We don't need no education" on the radio one more time, I'm going Rambo on someone's ass. <_<

But that leaves 17 other songs on a double album that are just.......not those three.

I wish they would have found a way for "Goodbye Blue Sky" to be longer, or build into something within the same structure before leading into the other songs. It has a certain mix of power and delicacy that is rare.

I wish they would have found a way for "Goodbye Blue Sky" to be longer, or build into something within the same structure before leading into the other songs. It has a certain mix of power and delicacy that is rare.

I honestly haven't listened to that song in years, if that. Whenever I read threads talking about Pink Floyd or The Wall or anything related to either, people always mention that song as one of the best on the whole album, so maybe I'll listen to it and see what the fuss is about.

Maybe then I'll have 4 songs I like rather than 3.

I know what you're saying - it's one of my favorites on the album. It's got a sort of darkness to it even though it's more acoustic.

To say that Waters wrote the Wall by himself is not completely true. Waters wrote the LYRICS.

Interestingly enough, there has been some PF stuff on VH1 Classic this past week talking about this very subject.

Waters admits to being an egomaniac now.

Some interesting stuff on Wikipedia too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Waters

Waters admits to being an egomaniac now.

Lotta good that does, after all these years wasted with that nonsense. I admit it was wrong to throw dog poop at a girl in first grade, her therapist must be very rich by now...

You say Roger's lyrics, I say Roger's whining.

Awww how can you go past lyrics like these:

"But in the town, it was well known

When they got home at night, their fat and

Psychopathic wives would thrash them

Within inches of their lives."

And what about One Of My Turns:

"Don't look so frightened, this is just passing phase, one of my bad days"

Great stuff

Archived