Robert Plant

I've read that review before as well as owning the video. I've watched it several times and IMO I think she's looking for that reaction. I saw nothing that indicated he was choked up (not to mention he's wearing shades). Still a great appearance - lots of silliness and really loose feel to it all.

Wow-that's not the reaction I had at all (saw nothing that indicated he was choked up)!

I started crying when he gave the little wave at "last farewell", which seemed completly spontaneous, and was cute and tragic all at once. Then I could hear his voice choke up til he almost completely lost control of it, and I assumed he did wipe away a tear, like the reviewer mentioned. Where did you get the video? I'd like to have it too.

I hadn't seen the Austin City Limits video before last night. At first when they started Morning (I always have to catch myself and not call it Mountain Dew) Dew at the faster tempo, I didn't know if I'd like it, but I thought it was a terrific performance. In general I thought some of the other performances on his site are better than the ones from the Soundstage DVD, which I own. I didn't like Soundstage performance nearly as much as the Mighty Rearranger CD, with the exception of a couple songs; especially Girl From The North Country, which was worth the purchase price by itself.

I wish they made all of the Austin City Limits performances available on DVD (I think there are a couple commercially available but not many). They'd make so much money! I'd buy Plant's and several others that I've seen over the years. I thought the Crowded House one from 2007 was awesome-it caused me to buy the Time On Earth CD, which is one of my favorite discs.

I am looking forward to watching the rest of the videos on Plant's website, now that I finally own a computer that can play videos! Last night I did a :notworthy:out loud. Am I turning into Garth?

Bologne, Italy Videomusic's 'Roxy Bar' TV Program June 13, 1993

Plant sings 'I Believe', perhaps for the first time to a live audience. Maybe it's just as well that this one doesn't understand English, and doesn't stop bopping blissfully even as he is singing about his son's cremation. But when he gets to the first chorus, all too naked without the supporting noise of a band or the comforts of his familiar echo, he chokes on the line that recalls how he told his daughter her "little brother is in the sky." Practiced performer that he is, he salvages the moment by tossing his hand past his sunglasses, through his hair, in what will pass for yet another extravagant, campy rock gesture, but is really the brushing away of a tear.

- 'Robert Plant: Last of the Red-Hot Rock Stars', Deborah Frost, Spin Magazine, June 1993

Thank you very much for posting that.

Wow-that's not the reaction I had at all (saw nothing that indicated he was choked up)!

I started crying when he gave the little wave at "last farewell", which seemed completly spontaneous, and was cute and tragic all at once. Then I could hear his voice choke up til he almost completely lost control of it, and I assumed he did wipe away a tear, like the reviewer mentioned.

Are you sure you guys are all talking about the same performance? Because I saw nothing of this choking up in the video ninelives was talking about. It did seem an odd choice in a way, because the appearance was so light-hearted apart from that song, but the fact that it was a single was presumably the reason for performing it (and that it's a beautiful song, of course). And in fact, because it seemed a bit out of place, I was looking closely for his reaction, and didn't see anything particularly emotional in it. Certainly not choking up till he almost lost control of his voice. :huh:

Meant to add, the fact that it's on his web site is presumably his webmaster's choice (:notworthy:) (I can suck up with the best of them :D ) rather than his.

Are you sure you guys are all talking about the same performance? Because I saw nothing of this choking up in the video ninelives was talking about. It did seem an odd choice in a way, because the appearance was so light-hearted apart from that song, but the fact that it was a single was presumably the reason for performing it (and that it's a beautiful song, of course). And in fact, because it seemed a bit out of place, I was looking closely for his reaction, and didn't see anything particularly emotional in it. Certainly not choking up till he almost lost control of his voice. :huh:

Meant to add, the fact that it's on his web site is presumably his webmaster's choice (:notworthy:) (I can suck up with the best of them :D ) rather than his.

I guess I could have been mistaken, but I don't think so. The only thing that seemed weird to me was the audience clapping along to it-I know the song is extremely optimistic, but I wouldn't clap to it, unless maybe Robert started to clap first and indicated he wanted the audience to join in. Maybe that audience hadn't heard the song before so they didn't realize what it was about. Or maybe it was their way of supporting him-who knows.

I'll go back and watch it again sometime soon, to see if I was imagining things. Not right now as I'm not in the best mood and I need to "lighten up baby" :D

Are we talking about the performance that's been circulated as "Acoustically 1993"? I thought the whole evening was approached totally tongue in cheek. A whole lotta laughs! Very lighthearted and very entertaining. Great fun to watch late at night after some beers when you're too tired to read the sliderule and "judge" Robert's career! :lol:

I started crying when he gave the little wave at "last farewell", which seemed completly spontaneous, and was cute and tragic all at once. Then I could hear his voice choke up til he almost completely lost control of it, and I assumed he did wipe away a tear, like the reviewer mentioned. Where did you get the video? I'd like to have it too.

I hadn't seen the Austin City Limits video before last night. At first when they started Morning (I always have to catch myself and not call it Mountain Dew) Dew at the faster tempo, I didn't know if I'd like it, but I thought it was a terrific performance. In general I thought some of the other performances on his site are better than the ones from the Soundstage DVD, which I own. I didn't like Soundstage performance nearly as much as the Mighty Rearranger CD, with the exception of a couple songs; especially Girl From The North Country, which was worth the purchase price by itself.

I wish they made all of the Austin City Limits performances available on DVD (I think there are a couple commercially available but not many). They'd make so much money! I'd buy Plant's and several others that I've seen over the years. I thought the Crowded House one from 2007 was awesome-it caused me to buy the Time On Earth CD, which is one of my favorite discs.

I am looking forward to watching the rest of the videos on Plant's website, now that I finally own a computer that can play videos! Last night I did a :notworthy:out loud. Am I turning into Garth?

I'm not sure what the other video performances have to do with the one in discussion. I don't see the song as terribly out of place considering he played a few different songs, and being that was the single, made sense.

The video btw is not an official release ;)

I guess I could have been mistaken, but I don't think so. The only thing that seemed weird to me was the audience clapping along to it-I know the song is extremely optimistic, but I wouldn't clap to it, unless maybe Robert started to clap first and indicated he wanted the audience to join in. Maybe that audience hadn't heard the song before so they didn't realize what it was about. Or maybe it was their way of supporting him-who knows.

I'll go back and watch it again sometime soon, to see if I was imagining things. Not right now as I'm not in the best mood and I need to "lighten up baby" :D

I don't remember them clapping to I Believe but it's been a while since I've watched the video. They could have just been reacting to the beat.

Are we talking about the performance that's been circulated as "Acoustically 1993"? I thought the whole evening was approached totally tongue in cheek. A whole lotta laughs! Very lighthearted and very entertaining. Great fun to watch late at night after some beers when you're too tired to read the sliderule and "judge" Robert's career! :lol:

Yes indeed - it's a great dvd compilation. He was in rare form :D "How much for your wife" :lol:

Exactly, it's a really fun video--especially the part where as Nine said, he keeps trying to buy Ronnie's wife. :D

Exactly, it's a really fun video--especially the part where as Nine said, he keeps trying to buy Ronnie's wife. :D

He really was such a ham on that tour. When he and the late Kevin Scott MacMichael performed acoustically for radio at the Cadena 100 Estudios in Madrid (6/19/93) Robert sung David Coverdale's name at the end of '29 Palms' and kept the dj in stiches by relating anecdotes like "...one day I fell in love, and lost all my dinero (pause while

dj laughs aloud)...the next day, I fell in love again..."(more laughter)

She is indeed beautiful. And the tiny little bit where he played piano. :lol:

:lol: And then he realises they're all waiting for him. He also makes a funny comment about having to tune his guitar and then says, "I don't know why I have a guitar, I really don't play" or something to that effect :lol:

Archived