Unintentionally 'ripping-off' other songs?

Do you think it's ok if you write a song and at the time you think it's completely original, then realise later that it sounds like another song that you know? Obviously if you're not sharing it with anyone else then it doesn't matter but if you perform it and take credit for it and all that?

Do you think it's ok if you write a song and at the time you think it's completely original, then realise later that it sounds like another song that you know? Obviously if you're not sharing it with anyone else then it doesn't matter but if you perform it and take credit for it and all that?

It can always happen that a song sounds like another one that already exists.....possibly every combination of chords has already been written before.

As long as you can make an idea sound original it's okay to write whatever you like.

I once composed a song and 2 years later Steve Vai used exactly the same chord changes on one of his albums, still it sounds completely different.

I wrote a song 20 years ago, and the same chord progression came out in both No Doubt's Don't Speak and BluesTraveller's Hook. I don't think either of them know my name, lol! I "borrowed" the "Bolero" groove for one of my songs.

Here's a thing: Ravel's Bolero. Used by Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in Beck's Bolero. Also used in Zeppelin's How Many More Times. Also used in Ted Nugent's Stranglehold. Also used in KISS' Love Gun, for the love of Pete!

Ripoffs? Hell no!

In musical circles we call it "variations on a theme".

Without that we'd just have Louie Louie all day long.

12 notes. Make the one's you use move somebody. The rest is mindless litigation/masturbation. Did it move you or not? Either sue me or blow me. Of course, if it mattered enough for you to sue me, then I guess I moved someone. Can't take that back!

Yes, it goes to intent.

I'm still fairly new to guitar and extremely new to songwriting, but what I like to do is take a chord or even a small chord progressions from songs that I like, add new strums or a few color notes here and there and turn it into my own. I feel like a lot of music is just taken, recycled, and turned into some new finished product, and thats fine.

I'm still fairly new to guitar and extremely new to songwriting, but what I like to do is take a chord or even a small chord progressions from songs that I like, add new strums or a few color notes here and there and turn it into my own. I feel like a lot of music is just taken, recycled, and turned into some new finished product, and thats fine.

Take your inspiration and run with it. Leslie West said he nicked Whole Lotta Love to create American Woman, he just hid it well. 12 notes man. Just 12 notes. Make it yours. Take it to a new place. That's what we all do. There's nothing new under the sun. Just people kicking themselves cause they didn't hit the note. ;)

I think that the song's that we, as musicians that write song's come up with, are very much influenced by what we have already heard/played when we are learning to write and or play.

I have many like's and dislikes in music and I believe they all have dictated the thing's I have written. They will likely keep on guiding me to any other song's (or what ever else I do) I write in the future to.

• 5 weeks later...

Gee I think we all do it, sometimes I think I have come up with something really original, then realise my Subconsciousness has crowbarred some Rush in there lol, Page himself Took Dazed and \confused and created a monster to the original, yet the credits says its all his..this is a difficult one, draw from your inspirations but hide them aswell.

Ritchie Blackmore would write some of his fave music backwards and create something new from it.

Archived