Rockband/Guitar Hero

This band did not get to where they are by making wrong decisions. I mean look at how many awesome young people are on this forum. A lot of them were introduced to the MUSIC by parents, friends etc.

Zeppelins masters belong to them. It is their choice what they do and protecting their MUSIC does not mean they are egotistical.

I truly do not mean for this to come across wrong it's just that I respect their MUSIC and have for quite a few decades and I hate for anyone to put this unbelievable talent down in any way.

Protect it from what? Some evil force that travels via airwave if Led Zeppelin isn't listened to the right way? Haha...

I respect Jimmy Page's decision as I have no problem with him not wanting to let his music appear on video games. What I do have a problem with, is when people belittle it, by saying video games aren't "good enough" to be used as a platform for exposing music to people. That stench of elitism just irks me in every way possible.

When has it been about the money?

It's never been about the money.

Time and time again they have proven it, to the point where their inclusion in a video game would not be a sellout in my book.

Can you say "For the kids"?

I'm pretty sure that all bands involved in Rockband/Guitarhero are getting paid for it and that is the bands and record companies motivation, to make money....its a business.

And, your'e right, its not about the money for Zeppelin, cause' they don't need it.

"Can you say "For the kids"? Remember when Zeppelin did the benefit for Ahmet Ertegun in 2007?

That was a charity that raised money in order to put 'real musical instruments' in the hands of poor Turkish children, something they could obviously relate to.

I have a feeling that video games are just not that important or relevant to Page Plant & Jones who are all in their sixties and financially 'comftorable'.

For now, gamers are just going to have to find a way to survive without Zeppelin.

Life goes on.....

Protect it from what? Some evil force that travels via airwave if Led Zeppelin isn't listened to the right way? Haha...

I respect Jimmy Page's decision as I have no problem with him not wanting to let his music appear on video games. What I do have a problem with, is when people belittle it, by saying video games aren't "good enough" to be used as a platform for exposing music to people. That stench of elitism just irks me in every way possible.

He obviously has his reasons. I am not in any way putting down video games. For me I am just grateful to have their music and I can't imagine that Zeppelins MUSIC will not continue to grow because of their choice on this.

Oh no, his ego is pretty bloated. Don't lie to yourself here.

I don't know how "bloated" Page's ego is or not, never met the man. From what I've noticed over the past 30 yrs of him is that he seems to be quite humble.

I personally don't think the choice (which is not his alone) to not be involved with video games has anything to do with ego, thats all.

"Don't lie to yourself here" I'm not lying to myself here, obviously our opinions differ

on Jimmy Page.

Maybe you know something about him I don't, if so, feel free to elaborate.

I don't know how "bloated" Page's ego is or not, never met the man. From what I've noticed over the past 30 yrs of him is that he seems to be quite humble.

I personally don't think the choice (which is not his alone) to not be involved with video games has anything to do with ego, thats all.

"Don't lie to yourself here" I'm not lying to myself here, obviously our opinions differ

on Jimmy Page.

Maybe you know something about him I don't, if so, feel free to elaborate.

From the interviews and books I've read, I just make him out to be a rather shy, but a bit egotistical person. I think he's been humbled with age of course.

From the interviews and books I've read, I just make him out to be a rather shy, but a bit egotistical person. I think he's been humbled with age of course.

Find me a rockstar who isn't "a bit egotistical".

Find me a rockstar who isn't "a bit egotistical".

Ok--If they (Zeppelin) are egotisical why do they not give interviews, why are they not doing everything they can to be in the media??

I am asking sincerely, please don't bash these men.

Nobody is bashing Jimmy or anyone else in Zeppelin. But Jimmy's recent comments come off as if he's saying that Zeppelin is too good for video games, which isn't exactly true. Many bands of equal or greater musical quality have appeared in Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Nobody is bashing Jimmy or anyone else in Zeppelin. But Jimmy's recent comments come off as if he's saying that Zeppelin is too good for video games, which isn't exactly true. Many bands of equal or greater musical quality have appeared in Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Nicely put.

So apparently my younger second cousin (7) just got a guitar for his birthday and has taken a few lessons.

At some point it came out that he wants to get good at guitar so he can beat me at Guitar Hero?

I have to talk to this little dude and set him straight.

Ok Jimmy Page, you win that one.

So apparently my younger second cousin (7) just got a guitar for his birthday and has taken a few lessons.

At some point it came out that he wants to get good at guitar so he can beat me at Guitar Hero?

I have to talk to this little dude and set him straight.

Ok Jimmy Page, you win that one.

How much common sense do you expect out of a 7-year-old?

How much common sense do you expect out of a 7-year-old?

Good point.

On the positive side, this is a direct personal case where someone wanted to play real guitar because of these video games. Would it have happened later in his life? Maybe. but the point is that this is how it happened and this is why his interest was sparked.

More background:

He is 7 and his favorite songs are Mississippi Queen (1970) and School's Out (For Summer) (1972). His parents are children of the 80s, and in fact they named him after a character in Sixteen Candles (1984), Jake. So I don't see how he would have normally come across these songs without a game like Guitar Hero.

--Especially at this very young age, where everything you learn on an instrument seems to repay you 10 fold than if you learned it when you were much older.

This game has a high attraction to young kids and some of them want to make the transition to real instruments because of it. Without the game, they might never go down that road.

Get_off_my_lawn_Frank_by_Insane_Can.jpg

JP needs to lighten up.

LOL, maybe so. He's still the coolest dude I can think of--young or old.

Page seems to be the only one taking any heat for this decision, but lets remember that Plant and Jones also have a say in matters such as these.

I have a feeling (could be wrong) that Mr. Plant would not be too keen on the idea of turning Zeppelin into a video game either.

I'd love to hear him chime in on the subject.

People keep saying "kids discovering music they might not have heard " If they already play GH and have never heard ! of LZ they are no rock fan . This means they live in a bubble and only follow what a pop culture game ! tells them is cool . I've seen so many of these 14 year old GH fans on youtube ! and they are no different than Jonas Brother fans . Pop culture mindless sheep .

They are big fans of 1 song of a band and thats about it . Most dont even know which album it's from.

And yet these ! are the types of people many on here are begging to be apart of Zeppelin . Music is not about trends ! But some will not be happy until Zeppelin is a fashion trend due to a game !

When Physical Graffiti came out, Led Zeppelin was the trend. No self respecting high school kid in my neighborhood would be caught dead without an inflatable Zeppelin hanging from their bedroom ceiling, a Zeppelin t-shirt and beltbuckle, etc. And older Beatles fans thought of them as mindless stoned sheep with our Stairway to Heaven.

Not that I'm comparing Zeppelin to the Jonas Brothers! God forbid. But KISS for example was a joke in my school. Love them or hate them, they have stood the test of time. Actually I think Gene Simmons bought the rights to time in the late 90s. :rolleyes:

Just an observation about perceptions and how they change over time. :beer:

*edit to add* please excuse the jumbled pronouns! :slapface:

Every time Gene Simmons gives an interview I hate myself for liking KISS's old music.

One of the grossest things I've ever heard was Gene's Fresh Air interview. I thought slime would start oozing out of my speakers. I thought Terri Gross was going choke on her vomi

Between his constant Republican talking points, to his worship of greed, to his persistent support of George W. Bush, to his complete self-absorption, to his promotion of the Iraq invasion, to his disgusting troll face; I truly loathe him and wish he would just die.

t.

I'm not a Kiss fan so tell us what you really think of Simmons :run:

I think we are exaggerating the role of games in introducing young people to what is called "classic rock". I know that bands like Aerosmith have experienced a resurgence in interest. But music from the past is now so much more accessible through iTunes, youtube, torrent sites, etc. than it has ever been before. I know lots of teenagers who are totally into the Beatles, Doors and Bob Dylan. They didn't learn about these artists through Guitar Hero or Rock Band. If these games lead people to explore rock music then that's great. But I don't see how the surviving members of Led Zeppelin lose out. Their desire to have complete control of their music is well documented and I don't know why anyone would have expected it to change.

It really does ruin songs for you, songs just sound so much worse when you hear them on these games. They are nothing compared to listening to the actual version of the song.

The songs on GH really do sound bad, I agree. However, Rock Band really makes every song sound really awesome. They are doing things the right way for the music industry. No cutting corners at all. They would do LZ proud. The music would not be shorted or distorted.

The songs on GH really do sound bad, I agree. However, Rock Band really makes every song sound really awesome. They are doing things the right way for the music industry. No cutting corners at all. They would do LZ proud. The music would not be shorted or distorted.

So true! Especially the fact that when you play a solo instrument it brings out the sound on that particular track of that song. Giles Martin said the very latest and greatest production techniques are being used for Rock Band and its Beatles counterpart, even saying the game would be impossible to make one or two years ago.

Archived