Can Taylor Swift sing?

Wolfman

I'm not hating on her or anything but the few times I've seen her sing live on TV, she sounds average at best (more on the crappy side to be honest). Is she just another manufactured "artist" or does she really have chops? It probably helps that she's a hottie. Thoughts.

I'm not hating on her or anything but the few times I've seen her sing live on TV, she sounds average at best (more on the crappy side to be honest). Is she just another manufactured "artist" or does she really have chops? It probably helps that she's a hottie. Thoughts.

I don't think she's an Allison Krauss, but I think she has introduced a lot of the younger people to Country Music. Hopefully she will have the chops as time goes on...

How's it going "Wolfman?" Long time no hear. I hope all is well with you. In my opinion, Taylor Swift can sing but she is not very sexy, at least not yet since she is still very young. Taylor Swift is a very beautiful young woman that does have a long career ahead of her if she plays her cards right. She needs to stop being stiff on stage and needs to dance more naturally when she sings but overall, I truly think that Taylor Swift will have a very long career. ROCK ON!

I have seen her perform on all of the awards shows, I watched her last night on the CMT awards and I'll admit she isn't the strongest singer out there, but I think she is cool and has some very cute and catchy songs, (which she writes and co-writes herself). Some people are down on her though (because she has gotten so popular and they feel she can't sing and feel she really isn't "country"), but I like the fact that she appears to be a very level-headed young woman who is great with all of her fans and has bought many of them over into the genre. She appears to be a great role model for young girls also. She has a lot of poise and I think her live "chops" will get better as time goes on. I think she has a long career ahead of her.

I have seen her perform on all of the awards shows, I watched her last night on the CMT awards and I'll admit she isn't the strongest singer out there, but I think she is cool and has some very cute and catchy songs, (which she writes and co-writes herself). Some people are down on her though (because she has gotten so popular and they feel she can't sing and feel she really isn't "country"), but I like the fact that she appears to be a very level-headed young woman who is great with all of her fans and has bought many of them over into the genre. She appears to be a great role model for young girls also. She has a lot of poise and I think her live "chops" will get better as time goes on. I think she has a long career ahead of her.

How's it going "Melanie_72?" Very well said my dear! We both truly believe that Taylor Swift will be around for a very long time. ROCK ON!

I think Taylor Swift is an average singer but she writes songs by herself and that says something.

Though I find her quite boring.

Btw,how old is she?

She was born on 12/13/89.

In my opinion she's just average, I don't see what all the fuss is about her. I mean, if I saw her in a high school talent show I would think "Yeah, she's pretty good", but not be mind-blown in any way.

In my opinion she's just average, I don't see what all the fuss is about her. I mean, if I saw her in a high school talent show I would think "Yeah, she's pretty good", but not be mind-blown in any way.

How's it going "songbird?" I hope all is well with you. Believe it or not, "Songbird" is my most favorite FLEETWOOD MAC song. ROCK ON!

Some people are down on her though (because she has gotten so popular and they feel she can't sing and feel she really isn't "country"), but I like the fact that she appears to be a very level-headed young woman who is great with all of her fans and has bought many of them over into the genre.

Count me among those that don't consider her to be country. Can she sing? The best I can tell from this performance (which is admittedly the only one I've seen) is that she can but I don't hear anything in there I'd even consider to be remotely "country". It reminds me of another awards show performance I saw several years back featuring LeAnn Rimes where she walked on a bed of hot coals. It seemed to have more in common with something Britney Spears would do. In addition to the live recreation of a music video aspect of it, I also didn't hear anything in her performance that sounded country. If someone wants to hear real country music, commercial country music radio would be the last place I suggest they start these days.

Count me among those that don't consider her to be country. Can you see sing? The best I can tell from this performance (which is admittedly the only one I've seen) is that she can but I don't hear anything in there I'd even consider to be remotely "country". It reminds me of another awards show performance I saw several years back featuring LeAnn Rimes where she walked on a bed of hot coals. It seemed to have more in common with something Britney Spears would do. In addition to the live recreation of a music video aspect of it, I also didn't hear anything in her performance that sounded country. If someone wants to hear real country music, commercial country music radio would be the last place I suggest they start these days.

You have a point there, but for me personally, I have never really gotten hung up on the "they are not really country or (insert other genre here)" purist thing. If it is an artist or song that I like, I just like it.

You have a point there, but for me personally, I have never really gotten hung up on the "they are not really country or (insert other genre here)" purist thing. If it is an artist or song that I like, I just like it.

No problem with that as the "crossover" thing has been in effect for a long time now but I also believe in calling a spade a spade. If I tune in a country station I actually expect to hear country music, not pop (which seems to be the category artists like Taylor Swift fit more snugly into). There are artists out there still recording country music but a whole lot of them don't get played on country radio because they're considered too country. A few years back Johnny Cash had a very successful record in Unchained, it even won a Grammy but he achieved that success without one iota of support from Nashville or country radio (see his Billboard ad below). A very similar thing happened with Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose. She won a Grammy for it but managed to do so without any help from country radio. Even as popular as the O, Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack was, it achieved that level of success on the strength of the music itself. Country music radio treated it as just another fad when in reality the music on that album is the very basis of country music itself. That's why I'm glad there's things like satellite and internet radio where one can go to hear actual country music because you sure as hell aren't going to hear it on commercial radio.

billboardad314.jpg

That's why I'm glad there's things like satellite and internet radio where one can go to hear actual country music because you sure as hell aren't going to hear it on commercial radio.

Well, at least there are the options such as satellite and internet radio to hear the "pure country" as opposed to what is played on commercial radio.

Well, at least there are the options such as satellite and internet radio to hear the "pure country" as opposed to what is played on commercial radio.

It's not a matter of being a purist. I'm saying I don't even hear the slightest hint of country music in some of today's so-called "country" music. I've always been a big fan of progressive country such as Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe, Cash, etc. but even those artists don't stand a chance on country radio these days (especially Waylon since, well, he's dead). Even Steve Earle and Chris Knight (among many, many others) who are now considered "alt.country" don't stand a snowball's chance in hell at airplay unless the station is "progressive", on the internet or a satellite channel. To me, that's fucked up.

How do you define "real" country music Jahfin? (serious question, not busting on ya)

I'm not sure if I could define what it is but I know what it's not and that's artists such as Taylor Swift (at least judging from what I've heard, which isn't much) and Big and Rich.

How do you define "real" country music Jahfin? (serious question, not busting on ya)

I think the point is that why is someone like Taylor Swift considered 'country' and, say, Sheryl Crow isn't? There really is little difference, not enough to make them two different genres. Its just marketing. And this is the formula from what I gather from listening to commercial country radio- apparently if you just add one steel guitar track to any pop song it becomes country. :rolleyes:

edit: Oh and if you are wearing cowboy boots and hat in your video then you are country too. :rolleyes:

My daughters love her. I appreciate that she is a good song writer, but her music is a little "young" for me personally. I think her music will mature though, and she will enjoy a long career. She seems to be a good role model too.

Jewel started out singing and songwriting at a young age. If you compare her talents to Taylor, i think there's a good comparison. Jewel has a beautiful voice with a good range and wrote (pre-pop Jewel, that i do not like) mature songs. Her performances weren't choreographed, but she looks natural at least. The few songs i have heard and the few appearances i have seen of Taylor, to me, just silly. I think she (currently) comes off as a decent role model to teens (if she stays on the current path and doesn't get involved in the celebrity nonsense). Her singing and songwriting, to me, are bland. If she wasn't pretty, she would not have a career right now, imho. For anyone who doesn't know, she is from the vicinity of Reading, PA. Just in case some think she is Southern. I think she would be better as an actress.

Archived