Which are your favourite guitars Jimmy played(Talking about both sound and looks,ok?)

Zoso94T

Personally,i love these ones:

1958 Fender Dragon Telecaster (Used on Led Zeppelin entirelly,the early 1968-1969 tours,the Stairway To Heaven solo,and with the Yardbirds)

1953 Fender ''Brown Bomber'' Telecaster(Bought in 1975,used on Presence,In Through The Out Door,and live from 1977 to 1980 with Zep,and beyond)

1959 Gibson Les Paul ''No 1'',(used for most Zep recordings,after the second album)

1959 Danelectro,(Used for Black Mountain Side/White Summer live,In my time of dying,Kasmir,and slide guitar parts.

REMEMBER THAT THE TONE DOES NOT COME FROM THE GUITAR ONLY,BUT FROM THE PLAYER TOO!!! ;)

Some of my favorite Jimmy moments came after Led Zeppelin. Particularly his work with the B-bender (which I know he used on TYG and All My Love). But Sea of Love is just so dreamy gorgeous. Possibly my favorite slice of Page guitar work. And Blues Anthem from Outrider. His way of letting bent notes hang with that fucker. Cor blimey! Gorgeousness and gorgeosity! Maybe not so fleet-fingered and intense, but heart-stoppingly sweet! :beer:

I like your musical tastes Evster2012,you got a point there!I really like jimmy's post zep work with that tele too!The Firm and the Outrider eras are really worth listerning!Jimmy bought this tele by mid to late 1975,a little before the recording sessions of Presence,and i read that he did use it on that masterpiece album,and occasionally for achilles last stand live.You can also figure that out from the tone that came from the magnificent overdriven marshall 1959 slp!RAMBLE ON! B)

Some of my favorite Jimmy moments came after Led Zeppelin. Particularly his work with the B-bender (which I know he used on TYG and All My Love). But Sea of Love is just so dreamy gorgeous. Possibly my favorite slice of Page guitar work. And Blues Anthem from Outrider. His way of letting bent notes hang with that fucker. Cor blimey! Gorgeousness and gorgeosity! Maybe not so fleet-fingered and intense, but heart-stoppingly sweet! :beer:

Didn't he record all the parts TYG with a old cream Strat, or are you referring to live work??

Then why is your name danelectro and not "Stratocaster"? hahaha

Heh, believe it or not on most forums my user name is 67Strat. I think when I joined here, on the old board 67Strat was taken so I tossed danelectro out there because at the time I had several. TMI I know.

Anyway nothing like a good Strat, comfortable and sexy.

I like all of his gear but I like the blue Strat the most.

The Lake Placid Blue one? Great axe, but I never really thought he did much with it. In The Evening live was kind of abrasive. I guess I just never warmed to his use of the tremolo live. The b-bender was very sweet and soulful. He owned that! I guess that's why he gravitated to it so much more. But as the thread title also is in reference to sounds, Jimmy with Strat doesn't move me. Livewise at least. Some good tremolo stuff on Presence (Hots on, For Your Life...), but live? Mmm, not a big fan.

The Lake Placid Blue one? Great axe, but I never really thought he did much with it. In The Evening live was kind of abrasive. I guess I just never warmed to his use of the tremolo live. The b-bender was very sweet and soulful. He owned that! I guess that's why he gravitated to it so much more. But as the thread title also is in reference to sounds, Jimmy with Strat doesn't move me. Livewise at least. Some good tremolo stuff on Presence (Hots on, For Your Life...), but live? Mmm, not a big fan.

Jimmy used the Strat on Hots On? I never knew that :D I'll have to listen more closely next time I hear it.

You know thats thing about Jimmy I like, his tone tends to be atypical with regard the the gear he uses. His live Les Paul tone was often thin, so thin there are times it's tough to believe it's a Les Paul. Likewise his live Tele sounds were often thick and syrupy. That's why I like what he did with the Strat because it was somewhat unconventional. His use of the trem was definitely kind of abrasive but he also found a way to work it in without giving in to the cliche of the dive and the subtle wiggle many players made commonplace.

You know thats thing about Jimmy I like, his tone tends to be atypical with regard the the gear he uses. His live Les Paul tone was often thin, so thin there are times it's tough to believe it's a Les Paul. Likewise his live Tele sounds were often thick and syrupy. That's why I like what he did with the Strat because it was somewhat unconventional. His use of the trem was definitely kind of abrasive but he also found a way to work it in without giving in to the cliche of the dive and the subtle wiggle many players made commonplace.

Lol,i agree with you,you've got a point there! :D

Good point. He definitely has a fondness for that out of phase sound. I'm not a big fan of that tone, but he somehow manages to keep it heavy. Then again, I've always loved Michael Schenker's cracked wah, 50 watt Marshall sound. Almost violin like! So there you go! :lol:

Jimmy has said he based his solo style on 50s era sax solos. That could explain it to a degree. The "nasal" aspect of his tone.

I love his tremolo work on Presence. It's really shattering in many ways. As if his intent was to derail the groove on purpose. A staggering stutter step. To great effect and totally against the grain.

I still however find his In the Evening live performances harsh. I don't think he really was on his game at the time though. So that could account for it.

I still however find his In the Evening live performances harsh. I don't think he really was on his game at the time though. So that could account for it.

For sure, how different it could have been. I'm a pretty big ITTOD supporter and think Jimmy's playing on that album was superb. If he had been able to match his performance of the album version that would have been something. That solo is amongst my faves, love the effect of the the trem slamming back up.

For sure, how different it could have been. I'm a pretty big ITTOD supporter and think Jimmy's playing on that album was superb. If he had been able to match his performance of the album version that would have been something. That solo is amongst my faves, love the effect of the the trem slamming back up.

You and me both my friend! I can't understand people who don't get ITTOD. Zeppelin never stopped testing new ground. Hot Dog, All My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl are all in band's setlist. I'd love to do Fool in the Rain, but my drummer can't nail the Purdie shuffle! :lol: Carouselambra is also one of my favorites! Especially the dark breakdown in the middle section. "Where was you bow?" Fuck it! I love the whole album! :beer:

I love the look and sound of this, best...(not sure what brand of guitar it is tho', but it looks good, and on him.) :D

I believe that would be the Martin d28 Dreadnaught.

I love that Rain Song! You can see the joy on cellist Caroline Dale's face throughout the entire performance!

I believe that would be the Martin d28 Dreadnaught.

I love that Rain Song! You can see the joy on cellist Caroline Dale's face throughout the entire performance!

Yes, my friend! Especially towards the end where Jimmy unceremoniously tosses the flatpick to the floor and continues the coda with his wonderfully effortless fingerpickin'. It's a wonder that she was able to concentrate on bowing her cello! (haha) Hey, and thanks for the info re: Jimmy's guitar. Love it! I'm really into Zeppelin's acoustic facet. Always have been. Lately, tho' I've come to frequently appreciate their electric side as well, esp. some songs you and fellow members have mentioned. Namely, I'm Gonna Crawl, Carouselambra and Cadillac (The Firm). :D:beer: (please work, emoticons...)

Personally, I always loved his Tele's. He always was quite more expressive it seemed, through them....though, I find humbucker guitars like his Les Pauls(RIP) to be better sounding in a sense of full tone. I doubt anyone can deny the visual effect of the Double necked SG

Yes, my friend! Especially towards the end where Jimmy unceremoniously tosses the flatpick to the floor and continues the coda with his wonderfully effortless fingerpickin'. It's a wonder that she was able to concentrate on bowing her cello! (haha) Hey, and thanks for the info re: Jimmy's guitar. Love it! I'm really into Zeppelin's acoustic facet. Always have been. Lately, tho' I've come to frequently appreciate their electric side as well, esp. some songs you and fellow members have mentioned. Namely, I'm Gonna Crawl, Carouselambra and Cadillac (The Firm). :D:beer: (please work, emoticons...)

I've often wondered what it meant to Ms. Dale. She also played on David Gilmour's dvd and other prestigious rock w/orchestral backup works. I wonder if, as a classical cellist she gets off as much as we do, or if it's just another day at the job. She certainly looks thrilled!

Archived