Stairway-Led Zep & Pink Floyd?

ian4472

Hi All

Just registered although have been avid fan since the very beginning.

Forgive me if this has been asked 1000 times before but I have recently come by a recording 9.33 mins long of Stairway purporting to be with Pink Floyd.

I almost trashed it at first--you dont mess with an ICON. But it is so obviously Plant on vocals & it is growing on

me so much I need to know every detail.Can you help???

Regards

Ian

There are no authenticated recordings of 'Stairway to Heaven' featuring Led Zeppelin with any member of Pink Floyd.

Post a link to it and I'll check it out further.

I can mention while rehearsing for his tour at the Dallas Communications Complex - Studios at Las Colinas in April '88,

Robert Plant hung out with David Gilmour socially. David was on tour with Pink Floyd at the time. That is not to say

your post has anything to do with this fact.

There are no authenticated recordings of 'Stairway to Heaven' featuring Led Zeppelin with any member of Pink Floyd.

Post a link to it and I'll check it out further.

I can mention while rehearsing for his tour at the Dallas Communications Complex - Studios at Las Colinas in April '88,

Robert Plant hung out with David Gilmour socially. David was on tour with Pink Floyd at the time. That is not to say

your post has anything to do with this fact.

Went there and gave them a listen, here's the best link:

It's neither Led Zeppelin nor Pink Floyd. It's a cover version by a group called Far Corporation. I have this on 12" vinyl.

Far Corporation was a band created by music producer Frank Farian, who has created the bands Boney M., ERUPTION, Milli Vanilli, La Bouche, No Mercy and others. The name was shortened from "Frank Farian Corporation", which was originally put together to record a cover of the Paul Simon piece "Mother and Child Reunion". The group's lineup included Barclay James Harvest, Trio, Boney M and Force Majeure members Kerrie Cox and Dave Libby.

Far Corporation's primary claim to fame is their cover of "Stairway to Heaven". Contrary to public perception, Far Corporation was actually the first group to make the singles charts with this song as Led Zeppelin had never released it as a single. Some of the musicians Farian assembled include vocalist Robin McAuley, drummer Simon Phillips, ex-Saga drummer Curt Cress, and three members of Toto: vocalist Bobby Kimball, keyboardist David Paich, and guitarist Steve Lukather. Far Corporation released its first album Division One in 1985 on Arista Records and their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" reached 8 on the UK singles chart. Also included on the album was a cover of Free's "Fire and Water". The idea of "Division One" was to use different musicians and song writers for each production. Using this flexible system Far Corporation coins permanently give new impulses without becoming rigid and concentrating upon just one style.

The production was made at the Cherokee and Amigo Studios in Los Angeles and at the Far Studios, Rosbach. The group took nearly a decade to record a follow-up, during which time Robin McAuley joined with Michael Schenker to form the McAuley Schenker Group. Cress, Kimball, Paich, and Lukather were all present on the group's second release, 1994's Solitude on MCI-BMG. This time they were joined by former Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham. As before, this album also featured two notable cover songs - Steely Dan's "Ricky, Don't Lose That Number" and Cockney Rebel's "Sebastian" - but they failed to repeat the success of "Stairway to Heaven".

Hi All

Forgive me if this has been asked 1000 times before but I have recently come by a recording 9.33 mins long of Stairway purporting to be with Pink Floyd.

I almost trashed it at first--you dont mess with an ICON. But it is so obviously Plant on vocals & it is growing on

Regards

Ian

Pink Floyd has never done Stairway to Heaven, either by themselves or with any member of Led Zeppelin.

While were on the subject, I came across a recording of Sweet Emotion that supposidly has Zeppelin and Aerosmith both on stage, can anyone verify this?

Both bands never shared the stage together (as beeing complete bands)

Jimmy played some songs with Aerosmith at the Marquee once, but not Sweet Emotion,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzt1TkNy-4g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2rPIdqsVLg

Page Plant and Jones played with aerosmith at the Rock and roll hall of fame, but also no Sweet Emotion there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfcS7ILbdNY

Went there and gave them a listen, here's the best link:

It's neither Led Zeppelin nor Pink Floyd. It's a cover version by a group called Far Corporation. I have this on 12" vinyl.

Far Corporation was a band created by music producer Frank Farian, who has created the bands Boney M., ERUPTION, Milli Vanilli, La Bouche, No Mercy and others. The name was shortened from "Frank Farian Corporation", which was originally put together to record a cover of the Paul Simon piece "Mother and Child Reunion". The group's lineup included Barclay James Harvest, Trio, Boney M and Force Majeure members Kerrie Cox and Dave Libby.

Far Corporation's primary claim to fame is their cover of "Stairway to Heaven". Contrary to public perception, Far Corporation was actually the first group to make the singles charts with this song as Led Zeppelin had never released it as a single. Some of the musicians Farian assembled include vocalist Robin McAuley, drummer Simon Phillips, ex-Saga drummer Curt Cress, and three members of Toto: vocalist Bobby Kimball, keyboardist David Paich, and guitarist Steve Lukather. Far Corporation released its first album Division One in 1985 on Arista Records and their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" reached 8 on the UK singles chart. Also included on the album was a cover of Free's "Fire and Water". The idea of "Division One" was to use different musicians and song writers for each production. Using this flexible system Far Corporation coins permanently give new impulses without becoming rigid and concentrating upon just one style.

The production was made at the Cherokee and Amigo Studios in Los Angeles and at the Far Studios, Rosbach. The group took nearly a decade to record a follow-up, during which time Robin McAuley joined with Michael Schenker to form the McAuley Schenker Group. Cress, Kimball, Paich, and Lukather were all present on the group's second release, 1994's Solitude on MCI-BMG. This time they were joined by former Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham. As before, this album also featured two notable cover songs - Steely Dan's "Ricky, Don't Lose That Number" and Cockney Rebel's "Sebastian" - but they failed to repeat the success of "Stairway to Heaven".

oooh, and i´d hoped to never hear again from this teenage nightmare of mine - a LZ tune in the charts in the mid 80s and done in the repulsivly clean and overproduced way by german Boney M etc producer Fran Farian,

what an old nightmare piece of trash, recorded purely for commercial resons..

Steve, i know u must b a huge collector of zep & related stuff,

but this item is something that never shoulda been allowed out of the cage imo.

of course, taste is not really a matter of discussion, but i was really happy when it disappeared from the charts back then, as everybody in school had a way of telling me how shit my favourite band (LZ of course) was..

and on the other hand, idiots who had no clue about music or phil collins solo career fans types actually liked this POS.

what else then money drove Jimmy & Robert to agree to this cover? they didnt need money in the 80s.

or is it the publisher, not the author who has the right to dis/agree to a re-recording of a tune?

Steve, i know u must b a huge collector of zep & related stuff,

but this item is something that never shoulda been allowed out of the cage imo.

what else then money drove Jimmy & Robert to agree to this cover? they didnt need money in the 80s.

or is it the publisher, not the author who has the right to dis/agree to a re-recording of a tune?

I was flipping through a record bin back then and encountered it. I think I played it once.

Once a song has been commercially released by an artist, the song may be re-recorded and released by anyone who chooses to do so. This holds true provided that the melody/lyric isn't substantially altered in the "cover" version, and that they pay proper fees/royalties directly to the song's copyright holder.

I was flipping through a record bin back then and encountered it. I think I played it once.

:)

Once a song has been commercially released by an artist, the song may be re-recorded and released by anyone who chooses to do so. This holds true provided that the melody/lyric isn't substantially altered in the "cover" version, and that they pay proper fees/royalties directly to the song's copyright holder.

so, going a little off topic, why didnt more acts in the 70s release LZ covers, like everybody and their dog did covers of the beatles, stones or the who ? comes to mind that alexis korner did an early cover of WLL, but i thought he had had a special permission from some noblemen. perhaps just a myth ?

Hi All

Regards

Ian

I was wondering about this too, but it just sounds like Zep playing it live.

so, going a little off topic, why didnt more acts in the 70s release LZ covers, like everybody and their dog did covers of the beatles, stones or the who ? comes to mind that alexis korner did an early cover of WLL, but i thought he had had a special permission from some noblemen. perhaps just a myth ?

Since the Copyright Act of 1909, in the United States there has been a right to record a version of someone else's tune, whether of music alone or of music and lyrics. A license can be specifically negotiated between representatives of the interpreting artist and the copyright holder, or recording of published tunes can fall under a mechanical license whereby the recording artist pays a standard royalty to the original author/copyright holder through an organization such as the Harry Fox Agency, and is safe under copyright law even if they do not have any permission from the original author. The mechanical license was introduced by Congress in order to head off an attempt by the Aeolian Company to monopolize the piano roll market.

While a composer cannot deny anyone a mechanical license for a new recorded version, he or she has the right to decide who will release the first recording of a song; Bob Dylan took advantage of this right when he refused his own record company the right to release a live recording of "Mr. Tambourine Man".

I think the reason bands in the 70's didn't want to cover Zeppelin was because of the hardcore performance aspect. You dont hear many Van Halen covers either, although there have been some good Zeppelin covers recently, like Heart,,,,anyway Ive been lurking a little trying to figure out if I like Dave Grohl or not, Ive been listening to TCV almost everyday seems kind of chunky and tight esp in thebass dept.

and sorry for going off topic,,,,,,,,,,I was watching the Olympic city choosing ceremony last week and They Played the WLL version clean to broadcast ,without the Bejing stadium vibe(which was making the mix kind of unclear), of course it was edited down abit so I didn't hear the newly produced solo, have you guys been talking about that in another thread? i dont know very interesting to hear

Archived