I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Went out this past weekend to see some westerns, starting with this one I never miss.

il_fullxfull.4423372384_3220.thumb.jpg.c6a5265feba5ceaebf0dd8cafc5b9662.jpg

Sunday night was "Winchester '73" on nitrate. I had not seen this in 10 years and never seen it in nitrate form. This was the first of eight films Jimmy Stewart would make with director Anthony Mann, five of them westerns. It was the first western for Stewart since he made "Destry Rides Again" with Marlene Dietrich in 1939. It revitalized his career and, along with other westerns such as "Red River", helped revitalize the western.

Fritz Lang was originally set to direct but had to pull out. Anthony Mann was a fortuitous choice to replace Lang. Instead of a salary, Jimmy Stewart negotiated for a percentage of the box office, which netted him a tidy sum of over $600,000, more than double of what he would have received as salary. This was the first instance of an actor getting points on a film.

Dan Duryea, Millard Mitchell, Will Geer (as Wyatt Earp), James Best, Shelley Winters, Stephen McNally, JC Flippen are just some of the great supporting cast. Watch for a young Rock Hudson as an Indian Chief and Tony Curtis (billed as Anthony Curtis) as a Calvary soldier. And Stewart's horse 'Pie'...a horse he would use on every one of the 17 westerns he made the rest of his career.

It had been so long since I had seen "Winchester '73" it was like watching it for the first time...especially seeing it in a stunning nitrate print. The black and white cinematography of the rugged Arizona wilderness really shined and shimmered. I had forgotten what a fun and wonderful western this was...and wrapped up in an economical 91 minutes.

WinchesOS1.jpg.71fb2dcead4977b6979b41fd3702d674.jpg

Yes, a great movie. Now I have to see it again. 😊👍Just watched ‘Witchfinder General’ again. Always satisfying to see Vincent hacked to death in the end. 😄

2 hours ago, redrum said:

Yes, a great movie. Now I have to see it again. 😊👍Just watched ‘Witchfinder General’ again. Always satisfying to see Vincent hacked to death in the end. 😄

5 minutes ago, redrum said:

Those were pretty heavy rifles compared to the small .30-30 they now make. Pricey little bastards too. 😄

I was trying to count how many shells Jimmy was loading in his rifle during this scene and I think I counted at least 10.

On 2/20/2024 at 3:25 PM, Strider said:

I was trying to count how many shells Jimmy was loading in his rifle during this scene and I think I counted at least 10.

Probably a .44-40 pistol cartridge. 

.44-40.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 1:08 AM, redrum said:

What I didn't like about Olympia was no subtitles. 

How were you watching it? Because every time I have seen "Olympia" it had English subtitles.