I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

More relevant today than when it was released.  My only problem with this movie is William Holden.  Much too old for this role.  Pretty far-fetched that Faye would be interested in his wrinkly mug, especially in the tv industry.  The performance of Peter Finch makes up for everything.  Didn't remember that he died before winning his well-deserved Oscar. 

netw.jpg

Movies I've gone to see recently...

This bear didn't need cocaine to go on a rampage. The print was a little faded and pink, but that just added to the grindhouse vibe.

91zb2gK-koL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.jpg.52807987060a14670e3a11bbe205c4d4.jpg

This double-feature was hella good. Better than anything in theatres today. "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" is one of the most stylish horror films ever. A real blast to watch on a big screen.

MV5BMWIwYjc5ZjEtZGI0Mi00ODVjLWFhODAtOWU3N2Q5NmNlZDFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.b2d4bc67b37d64a544fcb8e5b13a05a2.jpg

MV5BNDA0YTEyMDUtNzNiNi00OWIwLThlMWItZTNjZGRjZWZkOTk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.ef79415e7fa3bde071034ed3224b2983.jpg

One of the best of the Czech new wave films of the 1960s-70s and a cool vampire flick: "Valerie and Her Week of Wonders". 

valerie-and-her-week-of-wonders-md-web.thumb.jpg.cf8bd9951e120f592d972d47fdeb002c.jpg

Incredibly, I had never seen "The In-Laws" before last week. It's been a long time since I laughed so hard in a theatre. Definitely funnier than most comedies today. "Serpentine, Shel, serpentine!" As a bonus, the New Beverly screened a classic Max Fleischer "Superman" Technicolor cartoon from 1942 beforehand.

MV5BY2Q4MmI4MmMtYzE3MS00OTM2LTlmMjEtOWViN2M3MzczNGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.thumb.jpg.07253ca55820b0a0f050ba5f14dbe865.jpg

Still, for my money, the greatest action sequence ever filmed. Filmed in Italy under the direction of famous stuntman turned second unit director Yakima Canutt and Andrew Marton. Sergio Leone was also one of the assistant cameramen on the Chariot race sequence. Contrary to rumours, no stuntmen were killed during this sequence.    Joe Canutt is the stuntman you see get flipped out of his chariot but the only injury he sustained was a cut to the chin. Tough guys back then.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:22 AM, Bong-Man said:

I can handle an Easter weekend without "King of Kings", "10 Commandments", "Ben-Hur", or "The Greatest Story Ever Told", but an Easter weekend without "Barabbas" is totally unacceptable!  

palance.jpg

So you're Jack Wilson. 

On 4/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, paul carruthers said:

Here's a crappy movie I remember sitting through for the obvious reasons. And, I wanted to know if the Bowery Boys were actually funny (they weren't). But, at least it wasn't as dreadful as Plan 9, or anything else Bela had to unfortunately do with Ed Wood...

spacer.png

The gang is in this one too. 'The mark of the squealer.' 

DEAD END.jpg

• 2 weeks later...