I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

On 12/29/2022 at 3:02 PM, Strider said:

Didn't see this one but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Denzel's version of "The Equalizer". D'yer see that one, redrum? 

I refuse to see the Queen Latifa "Equalizer". I know it makes me a racist sexist pig but the thought of Queen Latifa as a badass convulses me in laughter. I have met Queen Latifa...I could squash her like a grape without even half-trying.

Haven't seen the Equalizer. Saw 'The Little Things.' Too far fetched for me. Never liked Training Day, American Gangster or Manchurian Candidate. 

Faves with him: Glory......Flight.......A Soldiers Story and Crimson Tide. 

The remakes of this can eat my shorts.  

OCEANS 11.jpg

My last night out at the movies in 2022 was to see "Glass Onion", the "Knives Out" sequel. Unfortunately, not as good as the first one and, as is usual with too many modern films, about 20-30 minutes too long. The cast and crew I'm sure had a good time making the movie, the cast especially looks like they had fun.  But it drags and the mystery is not all that captivating or believable. Rian Johnson's politics are so obvious that you know immediately that Janelle Monae is the fulcrum of the plot. Daniel Craig is obviously having a blast hamming it up and getting away from James Bond and it was amusing to see Edward Norton skewering Mark Zuckerberg with his character. But that's about it.

glass_1125_t800.thumb.jpg.8518560f931ef97bd3f530614ab43041.jpg

322604776_1213237132662934_4904518451566242892_n.thumb.jpg.a1d7f0c22d55daa99aba6d18f8bf3c1e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I need to rant a little bit. Is Hollywood or the industry so bereft of good ideas that they need to reboot every old sitcom or actual good movie all the friggin' time. Now, I'm not going to pop off too much about NBC rebooting Night Court since I think Melissa is cute & I always liked John Larroquette. But this new "reboot" of House Party looks completey stupid and void of actual humor. Even those sly little lines about Lebron talking about the decision to move to Miami wore off after a 2nd viewing of those damn trailers. And then there's obviously that 80 for Brady, which I'm obviously not the right target audience for. Apparently all the "desperate housewives" over the world need a shitty little movie they can lose their proverbial nut about.... :rolleyes:

Ok, rant over....

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Ok, I need to rant a little bit. Is Hollywood or the industry so bereft of good ideas that they need to reboot every old sitcom or actual good movie all the friggin' time. Now, I'm not going to pop off too much about NBC rebooting Night Court since I think Melissa is cute & I always liked John Larroquette. But this new "reboot" of House Party looks completey stupid and void of actual humor. Even those sly little lines about Lebron talking about the decision to move to Miami wore off after a 2nd viewing of those damn trailers. And then there's obviously that 80 for Brady, which I'm obviously not the right target audience for. Apparently all the "desperate housewives" over the world need a shitty little movie they can lose their proverbial nut about.... :rolleyes:

Ok, rant over....

The new House Party will be full of fat dykes, Asian and Indian metrosexuals, and trannies.

Edited by Strider

The New Beverly Cinema has been doing a Jack Palance tribute this month and last night they showed two war movies he made with director Robert Aldrich. "Attack!" and "Ten Seconds to Hell". The Department of Defense refused to allow any cooperation with "Attack!", so Robert Aldrich had to make it on the cheap and scrounge around for his own guns and uniforms and tanks. So, while it is not the most technically accurate and the limitations of the budget show up on screen, the story is a good one and Jack Palance, Eddie Albert (always good as a sniveling weasel), Lee Marvin, Buddy Ebsen (Jedd Clampett!) and the rest of the soldiers are great. Nearly everyone in the cast served in World War II. Lee Marvin was awarded a Purple Heart and Eddie Albert got a Bronze Star. Adapted from a 1954 play by Norman Brooks, "Fragile Fox".

As for "Ten Seconds to Hell", it would have been better if they had left out the romance bits and just concentrated on the Bomb Disposal Squad's work getting rid of UXBs in post-WWII Berlin. Also, Jack Palance's character is too manic throughout the whole film. Who would believe his jittery and emotionally volatile character to be able to defuse a bomb? There is also some gooey narration at the beginning and end of the movie. The best part for me was that the film was actually filmed in bombed-out Berlin.

lf.thumb.jpeg.0810113c6399cfdff96bcbb0db7cce95.jpeg

MV5BNjYxNzQ0OTc0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcyMTM4NA@@._V1_.jpg.dc264a75a53c9c12fbf11fd754649d5a.jpg

58 minutes ago, Strider said:

The New Beverly Cinema has been doing a Jack Palance tribute this month and last night they showed two war movies he made with director Robert Aldrich. "Attack!" and "Ten Seconds to Hell". The Department of Defense refused to allow any cooperation with "Attack!", so Robert Aldrich had to make it on the cheap and scrounge around for his own guns and uniforms and tanks. So, while it is not the most technically accurate and the limitations of the budget show up on screen, the story is a good one and Jack Palance, Eddie Albert (always good as a sniveling weasel), Lee Marvin, Buddy Ebsen (Jedd Clampett!) and the rest of the soldiers are great. Nearly everyone in the cast served in World War II. Lee Marvin was awarded a Purple Heart and Eddie Albert got a Bronze Star. Adapted from a 1954 play by Norman Brooks, "Fragile Fox".

As for "Ten Seconds to Hell", it would have been better if they had left out the romance bits and just concentrated on the Bomb Disposal Squad's work getting rid of UXBs in post-WWII Berlin. Also, Jack Palance's character is too manic throughout the whole film. Who would believe his jittery and emotionally volatile character to be able to defuse a bomb? There is also some gooey narration at the beginning and end of the movie. The best part for me was that the film was actually filmed in bombed-out Berlin.

lf.thumb.jpeg.0810113c6399cfdff96bcbb0db7cce95.jpeg

MV5BNjYxNzQ0OTc0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcyMTM4NA@@._V1_.jpg.dc264a75a53c9c12fbf11fd754649d5a.jpg

Two of my favorites, but I haven't seen Ten Seconds To Hell in years. I'm assuming they'll also be showing 'SHANE?' 

Eddied Albert was great in this one too. 

CAPTAIN NEWMAN.jpg

On 1/4/2023 at 1:11 PM, Strider said:

My last night out at the movies in 2022 was to see "Glass Onion", the "Knives Out" sequel. Unfortunately, not as good as the first one and, as is usual with too many modern films, about 20-30 minutes too long. The cast and crew I'm sure had a good time making the movie, the cast especially looks like they had fun.  But it drags and the mystery is not all that captivating or believable. Rian Johnson's politics are so obvious that you know immediately that Janelle Monae is the fulcrum of the plot. Daniel Craig is obviously having a blast hamming it up and getting away from James Bond and it was amusing to see Edward Norton skewering Mark Zuckerberg with his character. But that's about it.

glass_1125_t800.thumb.jpg.8518560f931ef97bd3f530614ab43041.jpg

322604776_1213237132662934_4904518451566242892_n.thumb.jpg.a1d7f0c22d55daa99aba6d18f8bf3c1e.jpg

I couldn't agree more!  SO much buzz about this movie, that I decided to give it a shot this past weekend.  I was very disappointed.

Likewise with "The Menu".  Supposed to be this quirky, satirical take on the whole culinary scene.  The first half held my interest, but the plot holes and poor writing left the second half dragging and finished with an anti-climactic climax.  Not recommended.

MV5BMzdjNjI5MmYtODhiNS00NTcyLWEzZmUtYzVmODM5YzExNDE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

On 1/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, Stryder1978 said:

I couldn't agree more!  SO much buzz about this movie, that I decided to give it a shot this past weekend.  I was very disappointed.

Likewise with "The Menu".  Supposed to be this quirky, satirical take on the whole culinary scene.  The first half held my interest, but the plot holes and poor writing left the second half dragging and finished with an anti-climactic climax.  Not recommended.

MV5BMzdjNjI5MmYtODhiNS00NTcyLWEzZmUtYzVmODM5YzExNDE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

I did not see "The Menu" when it was in theaters, which is why I didn't post about it here. I saw it a couple of weeks ago on one of my streaming services. What a waste of time. Making fun of rich people and haute-cuisine is like shooting fish in a barrel. But this movie asks us to go along with a depressed asshole chef killing himself and taking others with him. Ralph Fiennes sleepwalks through his role..it's basically his Nazi character in "Schindler's List" as a chef. But I would rather watch the Soup Nazi on "Seinfeld".

Movies about food/eating usually make me hungry and want to go out to a restaurant immediately after the movie is over. "Babette's Feast". "Tampopo". "Big Night". "Eat. Drink. Man. Woman." But not "The Menu". So glad I didn't shill out any dough for this turkey.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Movies about food/eating usually make me hungry and want to go out to a restaurant immediately after the movie is over. "Babette's Feast". "Tampopo". "Big Night". "Eat. Drink. Man. Woman." But not "The Menu". So glad I didn't shill out any dough for this turkey.

This schlockfest probably beats 'The Menu' by a mile, though not exactly 'Breakfast At Tiffany's.' 😄

BLOOD FEAST.jpg

Saw two great "Guy Movies" last night at the American Cinematheque as part of their Rock Hudson series. Yeah, Rock Hudson was gay...but he was still more manly and authoritative than many of these actors today, who are so effeminately metrosexual that it is impossible to buy them as men, let alone "tough guys".

"Ice Station Zebra" I had seen many times before, of course. But it is always fun to revisit on the big screen. The special effects don't quite hold up but Patrick McGoohan does. Great performance. 

"Bend of the River" I had not seen before. Wow! What a treat. The second of the five Anthony Mann-Jimmy Stewart westerns. Loaded with familiar faces and names...Arthur Kennedy, Julie Adams, Rock Hudson, Jay C. Flippen, Stepin Fetchit,  Chubby Johnson, Harry Morgan, Jack Lambert, Royal Dano, Frank Ferguson. Filmed in scenic Mount Hood, Columbia River, Sandy River, and Timberline, Oregon.

1739935415_p4184_p_v8_aa(1).thumb.jpg.2ee6f11600f1fdd6015cff3d6b5e762e.jpg

Bend_of_the_River_-_1952-_Poster.png.3d95dfef7ece108651ea900fa8904819.png

Edited by Strider