I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

National Geographic hosted a week of new documentary screenings. I saw these three.

"Retrograde"...about the last days of the Afghanistan war.

MV5BNjQ0ZjM2ODktZDc0YS00YTdkLTgzZTAtMjZkMjIyN2YyYzVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.c977a17ea9b7f92b9d90f11cc723a819.jpg

"The Flagmakers"...Elder Flag Company in Oak Creek, Wisconsin makes the majority of flags and flagpoles in the U.S...including the flag that flies at the Statue of Liberty. Many of the workers are immigrants from Serbia, Mexico, Iraq, El Salvador, and elsewhere around the globe.

ng_theflagmakers_keyart_vertical_b18d2071.thumb.jpeg.6765670864324800c8c348e01be41815.jpeg

"Fire of Love"...Katia and Maurice Krafft were volcanologists who were also shown in Werner Herzog's 2016 documentary "Into the Inferno" and will be the subject of his new one, "The Fire Within: A Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft". But this one by Sara Dosa (and narrated by Miranda July) is equally stunning. Images that are incredible to behold...and sad. It has just been added to Disney + if you have that channel.

01d1d018-4a62-43af-8e18-7ec8c95645a3.jpg.0de38bc29d28bc0e79eaffff82178948.jpg

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

In past years many movies come out on Xmas day.  I always found that strange.  I only went once, somehow talked into it. Don't they get enough of your money on Xmas?  

Back in the day you could get in for a 7UP bottle cap. 😄

Saw these Toshiya Fujita bloody revenge classics over the weekend. "Lady Snowblood" (1973) and "Lady Snowblood 2: Love Song of Vengeance" (1974). Obvious influences on Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill". Meiko Kaji is beautiful and deadly. She can sing, too. She sings the theme songs of many of her films and released many albums and singles.

MV5BMjFiOTIyNTEtYzU1NS00MzRhLTg1ZDktMDE3N2ZlZDRhZjEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzM0MTUwNTY@._V1_.thumb.jpg.ad1932de0777bfa7a9dc3bdd17e4a2b8.jpg

MV5BMDc3NTMwMDAtNzUyYS00YTdjLWJlNGQtODE2ODAyNjkwYWM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzM0MTUwNTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.a48e013bad595d3d6c7d1947b4946261.jpg

14 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

In past years many movies come out on Xmas day.  I always found that strange.  I only went once, somehow talked into it. Don't they get enough of your money on Xmas?  

My friends and I went to the midnight show of a movie that opened on Christmas every year from 1976 to 2000.  A fabulous time was had by all.  

9 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So I assume midnight of Xmas Day, not Xmas Eve?   Have a merry Xmas Esther!  You and all down there

Christmas night, not Christmas Eve.  We went at midnight because I worked in theatre and we usually had shows on Christmas, so we went late.  A lot of people want to get out of the house by evening after spending the day with the family...  ;)

Merry Christmas to you and your family Rick!!

My movie diary for the past week.

Last Monday night at the American Cinematheque. "The Silent Partner" is another sleeper from the 1970s...a bank heist cat-and-mouse between Elliott Gould and Christopher Plummer. Christopher Plummer like you've never seen him. Made in Canada. Highly recommended for fans of this genre.

The-Silent-Partner-Vintage-Movie-Poster-Original-1-Sheet-27x41.thumb.jpg.aa92e525857e35e026408417208454bf.jpg

Last Tuesday night at the New Beverly Cinema. Ernst Lubitsch's final film, 1946's "Cluny Brown". Jennifer Jones sparkles and Helen Walker is a sly minx, too. Full of the patented "Lubitsch Touch". Before the film they showed the Three Stooges 1947 short "Half-Wits Holiday", Curly's final starring role.

MV5BN2FiOTc5ZjMtZTZmYy00YmU1LTgwZTAtMDgyODk2YTI4OWJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0MzMzNjA@._V1_.thumb.jpg.486d2466da1e9a3a398ea050d72fd0c0.jpg

1947-three-stoogeshalf-wits-holidayone-sheet-linen-backed-movie-poster-final-curly-short.jpg.aaccb0848932129c17a9baf4936b8e2c.jpg

Last Wednesday night at the New Beverly Cinema. Ava Gardner at her peak beauty in ravishing Technicolor, filmed by the great Jack Cardiff. A movie that plays like a dream...very similar to the Michael Powell/Emeric Pressberger films that Jack Cardiff shot. The gorgeous restored print came from the George Eastman Museum in Rochester, New York.

pandora-and-the-flying-dutchman-affiche_479933_10183.thumb.jpg.6ea2ecb808991c75f90f7c5bd608ce96.jpg

Last Sunday at the American Cinematheque. After the wreath-laying ceremony at Maila Nurmi's (Vampira) grave marking her Centennial, went to the Cinematheque to see "Ed Wood" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

MV5BNTA5ZjdjNWUtZGUwNy00N2RhLWJiZmItYzFhYjU1NmYxNjY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.a59e23543c8818873bfb3694c566ae8f.jpg

MV5BMjExMzJhYTYtZDlhNC00NDIyLWIyMGUtMDBhOGE3MzAzMjA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_.jpg.d8a22cfd3627846f0995d4e105047121.jpg

And finally, last night at the American Cinematheque. With director William Lustig and actress Laurene Landon in person, in which Laurene revealed Robert Davi liked to come into her trailer and suck her toes and Robert Z'Dar's (he played the maniac cop) girlfriend Isis tried to run her over with a car because Isis thought Laurene was sleeping with Z'Dar. Look for a brief wordless appearance by Danny Trejo in the jail scene.

MV5BMjdkMGU0ZjAtMTIzZC00YjlkLWExZjMtOGE4ZjQyMDFmNmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.bd1abcc93983b8a857c0f787062a8351.jpg

pandora-and-the-flying-dutchman-affiche_479946_41679.jpg

L'Avventura - 7.5/10

I told myself I would stick to watching movies I had never seen before, but I didn't like this at all on my first viewing about ten years ago, and wanted to give it another chance. Maybe a "Redemption Movie-Viewing Tour"? I gave the subsequent three movies an 8/10... It's been a while, but it seems like "Red Desert" was shot in the same spot at times, only colorized. TCM had "L'Eclisse" on, and I might just see the trilogy again, especially because I am a fan of Mastroianni (just never cared for Moreau). Ironically, Monica Vitti has a pretty face (which I can't say for a majority of the movies) but I didn't like her character/acting.. It's the same old bullshit between men/women. Nature’s joke on men is sex, and nature’s joke on women is love. And because of this stupid game, he knows if he expresses too much, the supply/demand of sex will not be in his favor, much like a man loses interest in a woman after bedding her. A very good story line - not a common one.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff472a4a1-8c7c-490d-bdfb-74f5e06f360f_250x367.jpeg

La Notte

I would recommend watching the French movie, "The Rules of the Game", "La Dolce Vita" (Marcello is in both), "L'Aventura", and then this. I saw the first 30 minutes a few days ago, and finished it this morning. When I first watched it, I gave it an 8/10 (I think) on this thread (I think). I think I just completed this movie also to see the next movie (L'Eclisse, and then Red Desert, if I make it)

And like many things on YouTube, the movie is free. Stop wasting your money when YouTube is better. Sometimes you just have to search the original title in another language which you can find on IMDB.

The so-called third part of the so-called trilogy (some say "Red Desert" is the 4th part) is "L'Eclisse" which WAS my favorite, but I didn't care for it when I saw it yesterday. I must admit I rolled multiple joints, hoping it would improve, especially since there's a lot of nothing going on, or a lot of childish actions/dialogue.. I could't even get started on "Red Desert" despite giving it a 7.5/10 years ago.... Oh well. I actually told myself I'd stop watching movies I have already seen before, but it was on TCM.

FREE on YouTube (the best place; not sure why so many pay for shitty movies)
Edited by MortSahlFan

Another one of those stupid shaky camera, over zoomed and 9 million cuts flicks. Seems there's always some asshole with a nose the size of a banana chasing the good guy. Sorry, Denzel, but this one really sucked. 

SAFE HOUSE.jpg

Edited by redrum

Christmas week at the movies.

"Invasion U.S.A." I ignored this when it came out in 1985. It turns out for good reason...for this is worse than your usual Cannon Golan-Globus cheese. Chuck Norris barely puts forth an effort here. No great fight scenes to speak of and the plot is ludicrous and makes no logistical or narrative sense. The villains are dopes and the girl reporter is so annoying from the moment she appears that you want her to catch a bullet immediately. She isn't even that hot.

MV5BNGZkMmYzMTAtNzllYy00NzU3LWJiNzktNzdjZGU3OWM3ZmU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.fa8ac4702742ec58be2bcb1f9633bdc9.jpg

"Tokyo Godfathers". This was much better. An anime take on John Ford's 1948 "3 Godfathers".

1148459869_91uxSmMGNL._RI_.thumb.jpg.6e7fd559c796631fa976303e72610e1d.jpg

"It's a Wonderful Life". Frank Capra's Christmas classic. Winner of every Christmas Movie Tournament I have run. Mr. Potter steals $8,000 and gets away with it. Circumstances prevented Lionel Barrymore from playing Scrooge on film in any of the film adaptations of "A Christmas Carol". This was the closest he got to playing Scrooge on film.

81a9tEARozL.thumb.jpg.867a0f8c0a3aed1f904ab40926372f6c.jpg

"The Loved One". A wild, loopy movie that sadly many people have no clue about. Liberace and Rod Steiger as Mr. Joyboy are a hoot. Jonathan Winters plays several roles. Chick Hearn and a young Paul Williams pop up unexpectedly. You'll never look at Forest Lawn the same after watching this film.

MV5BODM2NjcxN2MtYmQyYi00MDVlLWEyZjgtYTA5MDQ4OTIxZjQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.8f1d067ff0a254c86f6b0ad1f37cb362.jpg

"Cry For Me, Billy". From 1972. One of those hippy-westerns common at that time that were pro-Indian and anti-Calvary. Unfortunately, although it features one of Harry Dean Stanton's earliest film appearances, and star Cliff Potts has a sort of Val Kilmer-esque charm and the girl is naked throughout the movie, the whole thing plays like a TV movie and drags a bit. Plus the song in the movie, "Ballad of Billy" is sappy crap.

cry-for-me-billy-movie-poster-1977-1020248668.jpg.bd09b6b626f18ad45723e741968c9209.jpg

On 12/26/2022 at 1:21 AM, redrum said:

Another one of those stupid shaky camera, over zoomed and 9 million cuts flicks. Seems there's always some asshole with a nose the size of a banana chasing the good guy. Sorry, Denzel, but this one really sucked. 

SAFE HOUSE.jpg

Didn't see this one but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Denzel's version of "The Equalizer". D'yer see that one, redrum? 

I refuse to see the Queen Latifa "Equalizer". I know it makes me a racist sexist pig but the thought of Queen Latifa as a badass convulses me in laughter. I have met Queen Latifa...I could squash her like a grape without even half-trying.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:21 AM, redrum said:

SAFE HOUSE.jpg

I thought the shaky cam thing was over 🤮. I've quit so many movies and shows after five minutes because of it.