I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I did not see as many films as I usually do at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival. But I saw enough to get value out of my pass.

MV5BMGZkMTg3YWQtZTMyOS00MDVjLTllOTQtYjczNjFkNjNlOTcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0MzMzNjA@._V1_.thumb.jpg.68b31db4dfb1eed420dbbfa9e3a9d87d.jpg

"Topkapi"...premiere of a brand new film restoration (on 35mm film not a dcp) by the Film Foundation and supervised by Christopher Nolan.

48c0486b31814ce8d5bd8cb05e20d115.thumb.jpg.5aeaff7d74478f3012f5c48e770c2402.jpg

force-of-evil-movie-poster-1948-1020143770.jpg.f1c1d285d3b864cebb7753153aeb8baa.jpg

13b9552a-ad99-4c2b-b275-6cfde4d44237.6a4268e9dcbc699daf26a0a595614259.jpeg.725fb90deb2d8d34e8176ec4e1712a12.jpeg

15 hours ago, redrum said:

An all time fave. Saw it in the theater when it first came out.

TOPKAPI.jpg

Among other things, Jules Dassin was a master of the heist. First he staged a silent 30-minute heist scene in "Rififi". Then he topped that with the nearly 40-minute heist scene in "Topkapi". Often assumed to be French, Jules was actually born in Connecticut. Married his star Melina Mercouri and died in Greece.

His essential films: "Nazi Agent"; "The Canterville Ghost"; "Brute Force"; "The Naked City"; "Thieves' Highway"; "Night and the City"; "Rififi"; "Never On Sunday"; "Topkapi".

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Among other things, Jules Dassin was a master of the heist. First he staged a silent 30-minute heist scene in "Rififi". Then he topped that with the nearly 40-minute heist scene in "Topkapi". Often assumed to be French, Jules was actually born in Connecticut. Married his star Melina Mercouri and died in Greece.

His essential films: "Nazi Agent"; "The Canterville Ghost"; "Brute Force"; "The Naked City"; "Thieves' Highway"; "Night and the City"; "Rififi"; "Never On Sunday"; "Topkapi".

Those are some impressive films. Saw 'Never On Sunday' and 'Brute Force' not too long ago. Gotta order 'Night And The City.'  👍

Watched "The Survivor" this weekend.  A 2021 picture about a boxer who survived Auschwitz.  Looks like a "made-for-TV" movie, but the story and conflict of the main character is riveting.  Well worth the two hours if you haven't seen it!  

This weekend I watched what I now have moved to the top of my list of "Worst Movie I've Ever Seen"!

The movie is new and called "Ash and Dust".  They tried to pull an out-of- sequence, artsy, fartsy production (ala  Tarantino), but failed miserably.  It took me 20 minutes after that piece of shit ended to figure out what story they were trying to tell.

I'm not alone, it's garnered a 4.2 on IMDB.

16 minutes ago, Strider said:

I presume you watched it for the Three Stooges only?

You would be correct, sir. After watching "Swing Parade," plus some of those Bela Lugosi pot boilers he made at Monogram, I've put that studio on my personal blacklist of shit to avoid, along with anything that has the name Ed Wood attached to it....  <_<

Edited by paul carruthers