Mississippi Blues Trail Marker dedication honoring W.C. Handy

Thanks for sharing the photos with us, Sam. Great to see Robert giving back to the people who gave him the music there. I was there in early August standing on the same platform that Robert stood giving his speech (pictured) There's some very cool murals of blues icons on the walls surrounding where he stood, too. R:)

Edited by reids

Thanks for sharing the photos with us, Sam. Great to see Robert giving back to the people who gave him the music there. I was there in early August standing on the same platform that Robert stood giving his speech (pictured) There's some very cool murals of blues icons on the walls surrounding where he stood, too. R:)

W.C. Handy (1873-1958) moved on quite some time ago, so he could not attend, except of course in spirit.

wchandymusicfestival.org/

florenceal.org/Community_Arts/Art_Museums/Art_Galleries_Museums/WC_Handy/index.html

Edited by eternal light

W.C. Handy (1873-1958) moved on quite some time ago, so he could not attend, except of course in spirit.

wchandymusicfestival.org/

florenceal.org/Community_Arts/Art_Museums/Art_Galleries_Museums/WC_Handy/index.html

Yes, Handy's music does live on (even today).

Should I have said : ..."good to see him give back to the people and the town, who's family (ancestor's music) helped to inspire Robert?"

(Hope we are not getting caught in semantics here).

http://everything2.com/title/getting+caught+in+semantics

R:)

Edited by reids

Yes, Handy's music does live on (even today).

Should I have said : ..."good to see him give back to the people and the town, who's family (ancestor's music) helped to inspire Robert?"

(Hope we are not getting caught in semantics here).

http://everything2.c...ht+in+semantics

R:)

It would depend on whether any of those people are actually related ancestrally to W.C. Handy, I guess. I would chalk it up to honoring the musical tradition and its history; that would cover just about everything.

Edited by eternal light

Great clip...it's always nice when Mr. Plant is down by the crossroads. It is also great to have so many people keeping the music alive and the memory fresh. Mr. Plant is almost like the ambassador of the Mississippi Blues lol