Say it ain't so...

c4plant

That's what I thought! :oops:

I feel like a kid that's just been told there's no Santa Claus! :depressed:

I'm not sure why - they certainly never did that in concerts. Sometimes on television programs, artists lip synch as opposed to a live performance - it's not uncommon nor really a big deal.

Definitely mimed:

Watch right to the end - the music does a fade & Page is still playing. That's always a classic way to spot a mimed performance.

Plus (although it's hard to tell because of the quality of the video) the instruments don't seem to be pluged in to anything - Page normally uses cables, not wireless, but there doesn't even seem to be a wireless unit visible.

The biggest giveaway of all though is Michael Lee on drums - watch him closely - sometimes he's crashing a cymbal that just isn't audible...

I don't think it's a big deal when lip synching is done for television shows anymore than I have a problem with officially mimed performance videos or promos that a band puts out themselves. This has been going on since the silent era ended in movies ie Al Jolson really didn't sing "Mammy" live lol. A concert is a different matter though, but even that depends on the artist.

Plant misses beginning of lyrics badly and Jimmy is plugged into air. From every appearance it was sellout lip and pantomime job. Is there more of these performances to be found is the big question?

• 5 months later...

There is definitely more than one Vocal track in use here. Robert may be singing one of them, but it doesn't take Columbo to figure out that there is at least one backing track. It seems that the drummer is in his own world as well.

Archived