Haiti Quake

redrum

Hello:

I am concerned that if I give money the supplies it will buy may not get to the people in need..there's alot of press about the fact that supplies are not arriving to people in need...

I will have to do more research before I make a donation to the organization/orphanage I have chosen to help

Juliet :(

Hopefully supplies will be distributed soon. These people will be needing food/water/supplies for many months to come. I made a donation the easiest way possible, via text. The American Red Cross or Unicef are very safe organizations to donate to. For just one penny (i think most people can afford that) a tablet can be added to water to make it drinkable. Proof that any amount of money will HELP. The relief tents are another good way to donate your money. CNN reported on money donated to Unicef going towards tents among the other supplies being provided.

I think the best idea (and one that many won't approve of) is to get the people who are healthy enough to travel (and willing to leave) out of that country. Seems the most humane thing to do.

My friend Marie finally contacted family in Haiti. Two young cousins died in school, her Uncle and the rest of the family residing there are alive and in good condition (as of Saturday). Just talking to her is so heartbreaking.

Text (money is applied to charges on cell phone bill) Unicef: 20222 or 1-8004unicef or Red Cross 1-800Helpnow text: 90999

Haiti has been a continuing challenge over the years. Eventually the post-traumatic stress sets in. You have to pace yourself, but you must always seek the light at the end of the tunnel.

Video of Air Force Food Drop

Video of Woman Rescued on Day Seven

Video of Looting in Port au Prince Downtown Center Street

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Rescue workers pulled a woman out of rubble near Haiti's national cathedral Tuesday, a week after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck.The rescue crews believe two other people may be alive under wreckage nearby, in part because of a text message the crews believe was sent from under the rubble, a CNN crew reported.

Men carried the woman, Ena Zizi, who is in her 70s, from the rubble on a wooden board as she grasped its edges.

They took her to a nearby clinic, although it doesn't have the operating facilities needed to treat her, the CNN crew reported.

Zizi's right femur was fractured and she was in shock, the crew reported. Her son, Maxime Janvier, told CNN that he never gave up hope that she'd be found.

"We were praying a lot for that to happen," he said.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday that about 90 victims have been saved by 43 international rescue teams, made up of some 1,700 people, in the days after the quake.

The earthquake struck the afternoon of January 12. Its epicenter was just south of Port-au-Prince.

edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/19/haiti.earthquake.rescue/

Juliet O'Neill

CanWest News Service

January 19, 2010

6:03 PM

OTTAWA — Leaders of four Canadian relief organizations said they are managing to help thousands of people in Haiti despite an aid supply bottleneck at the Port-au-Prince airport and delays in co-ordinating international efforts.

They are getting around the "choke point" by using supplies purchased in Haiti, brought in overland from Dominican Republic or shipped from Miami.

They also spoke in a conference call with reporters Tuesday about how their aid workers are finding the vast majority of Haitians organized and calm.

David Morley, president of Save the Children Canada, said Haitians "have shown remarkable restraint and orderliness in the face of this horrific destruction."

CARE Canada President Kevin McCort told of buying 5,000 mattresses and supplies for 5,000 hygiene kits in Haiti, so it was not necessary to rely on supplies being flown to the overwhelmed Port-au-Prince airport.

"It's not all about getting material (outside) there are supplies within the country as well," McCort said.

Oxfam Canada's executive director Robert Fox told of how 20,000 tonnes of Oxfam Canada supplies on a plane that circled round Port-au-Prince's overwhelmed airport was diverted to neighbouring Dominican Republic and trucked in to the earthquake zone.

Those supplies included sanitation equipment, chlorine for treating drinking water, buckets, plastic sheeting and body bags. Oxfam is distributing water at soccer fields and golf courses in the capital where tens of thousands of homeless people are camped.

"Yesterday our capacity to deliver water in some places was hampered by the fact that we didn't have the fuel for our trucks but today the fuel has arrived so we're back to full delivery and ramping up," said Fox. "So there are certainly barriers but we are overcoming some of those barriers."

CARE, Oxfam Canada, Oxfam Quebec and Save the Children Canada have pooled their 600 personnel in Haiti, resources and fundraising efforts into a charity for Haiti relief called the 'Humanitarian Coalition.' So far they have raised $3.5 million of their $5 million goal.

One of the group's priorities is to help pregnant women and new mothers. An estimated 10,000 women in the earthquake zone are due to have babies within a month and breastfeeding will be jeopardized if the mothers don't have enough food and water.

McCort said it takes time to co-ordinate international emergency assistance but "we've learned in disaster after disaster that co-ordination is the only way to get aid to the right people as fast as possible.

"We cannot simply throw food and water out of the windows of a truck and hope for the best," he added. "We know that those kinds of distributions in fact spark riots and spark violence."

Morley said the group is getting medical supplies to hospitals in Port-au-Prince and was starting mobile clinics Tuesday in Leogane, the city that was in the epicentre of the earthquake and is a focal point for Canadian Forces personnel.

Save the Children Canada is also going to take a lead in tracing missing people and reunifying families.

ottawacitizen.com/news/Help+getting+through+Haiti+relief+groups/2460745/story.html

And the United States Navy has arrived in Haiti.

CBS reported today that the USNS Comfort will arrive in Haiti tomorrow.

2460441.jpg

Haitians watch as a US Navy helicopter lands in front of the heavily damaged presidential palace in Port-au-Prince January 19, 2010. US troops descended by helicopter to take control of Haiti's ruined presidential palace Tuesday, as the military earthquake relief operation gathered pace. Photograph by: AFP PHOTO/Juan BARRETO,

And the United States Navy has arrived in Haiti.

2460441.jpg

Haitians watch.

So we're not supposed to be cynical! Look at those Haitians. Clean clothes, a woman has a blonde wig, geez what a prime photo OP, goddamn!!!!

:rolleyes:

Anyone who can manage to look clean after surviving a 7.0 earthquake has my vote.  :-)

No doubt it was the rinse cycle that was operating during the earthquake. Heavy agitation came naturally.

All them folks must've been doing laundry at her house, they're the lucky, clean ones. Maybe the could all be part of her cabinet.

Frankly, you remind me of all those critics clamoring for the same in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina while failing to understand most roads were underwater. One thing is certain following a disaster and that is money is always needed.

But not all of the roads were under water. What nobody every explained is why it took so long to get the buses there. There were several conspicuous indications of intentional negligence before and after Katrina.

Most people still believe the levees broke after the storm passed. Remember when they said there were hundreds of people killed in the Super Dome? Turns out there was only one person killed, and that was for raping a 14yo girl.

"So poor and so black." ~ Wolfe Blitzer

My guess is that there is far less intentional negligence in Haiti than NOLA. The US military is probably capable of producing a usable air strip in 48 hours, if not 24. There are also helicopters which don't need air strips. I believe the US could have done a better job in the immediate aftermath.

Anyone who can manage to look clean after surviving a 7.0 earthquake has my vote. :-)

I don't see what the big deal is. Many of these people probably used low tech in the best of times. Hell, I lived in my car for a few months and managed to stay groomed and clean. I even managed to land a $65k/year job on my first interview while living in my car.

If you are used to making due with little, hard times are not so hard.

FEMA would have no business being there as they administer disasters within the US, not outside the country. There are many other countries involved in getting help to the people of Haiti.

What are you, a professional bureaucrat? If there is an ability and a need, bring the F'n resources to bear. If you really want to haggle over definitions, temporarily redefine some FEMA resources and keep moving. If this were half way around the world, I might not suggest FEMA resources be used. But Haiti is less than 300 miles from the US.

They were able to run training exercises in New York on 9/11/01. Well here is a real training exercise. Get the fuck down there and learn something. And at the same time, save some lives!

For those concerned about whether their money is going to a legitimate organization (or that it is being used judiciously), check out the Better Business Bureau's criteria and standards:

Canada http://www.bbb.org/canada/charity/

U.S. http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/

Global Medic seems to be effective (source: Maclean's: Police can't restore order in Haiti and for the most part don't try)

Care, which already had a presence in the country before the quake, planned three water distributions Saturday. One was successful. They gave water purification packets to 600 people. They say they had to work through a local committee that had a list of people designated as water recipients. The same day Global Medic delivered clean water to 25,000. There was no riot or even disorder in the lineup of people waiting. And they trained Haitians in the neighbourhood to take over the purification system when Global Medic leaves.

What are you, a professional bureaucrat? If there is an ability and a need, bring the F'n resources to bear. If you really want to haggle over definitions, temporarily redefine some FEMA resources and keep moving. If this were half way around the world, I might not suggest FEMA resources be used. But Haiti is less than 300 miles from the US.

They were able to run training exercises in New York on 9/11/01. Well here is a real training exercise. Get the fuck down there and learn something. And at the same time, save some lives!

You know it's easy to be an armchair quarterback, if you are so concerned that more should/could be done then you should slide away from that computer and hop on the next plane of volunteers and see if you can do more to help.smile.gif

What are you, a professional bureaucrat?

Well, I am no more a bureaucrat than you would be a director of releif management.

Just commenting on the discussions going on here.

I saw in the news today that a much needed hospital ship arrived today in Haiti

and that a concert benefit for Haiti is being given this Friday. Hope the concert goes well.

Anyone who can manage to look clean after surviving a 7.0 earthquake has my vote. :-)

I survived the Loma Prieta quake (6.9-7.1)

But many didn't.

The collapsed Cypress freeway in Oakland.

The column kinda looks like an Easter Island statue.

024sr.jpeg

For those concerned about whether their money is going to a legitimate organization (or that it is being used judiciously), check out the Better Business Bureau's criteria and standards:

Canada http://www.bbb.org/canada/charity/

U.S. http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/

Global Medic seems to be effective (source: Maclean's: Police can't restore order in Haiti and for the most part don't try)

Hi Pat....

I've been watching CTV and CBC re. the parents who were in the process of adopting children before the quake hit..they want the kiddies evacuated not just fast-tracked out of there...asap

Juliet

PS The concert on Friday featuring Bono, Springsteen etc. will be broadcast on CNN, CTV and MuchMusic @ 8 p.m There's also a concert on CBC, CTV AND GLOBAL startng @ 7 featuring Canadian artists..CANADA FOR HAITI

PSS http://www.ctv.ca/ http://www.cbc.ca/

Hi Pat....

I've been watching CTV and CBC re. the parents who were in the process of adopting children before the quake hit..they want the kiddies evacuated not just fast-tracked out of there...asap

Juliet

PS The concert on Friday featuring Bono, Springsteen etc. will be broadcast on CNN, CTV and MuchMusic @ 8 p.m There's also a concert on CBC, CTV AND GLOBAL startng @ 7 featuring Canadian artists..CANADA FOR HAITI

PSS http://www.ctv.ca/ http://www.cbc.ca/

Hi Juliet,

There seems to be a pull from both sides - on the one hand, governments are expediting the existing adoptions in process, on the other, authorities in Haiti are calling for a moratorium on opening up new adoption cases because the children pulled from the rubble may yet be reunited with their parents; it's still too early to tell. Heart wrenching all around.

I wonder whether that concert you mention is in conjunction with the telethon Clooney is putting together? It's great, too, that Simon Cowell is gathering a group of singers for a charity single:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100121/entertainment/eu_britain_cowell_haiti

CANADA FOR HAITI

TONIGHT 7 P.M..GLOBAL...CTV....CBC...CBC RADIO...STREAMED AS WELL CHECK SITES FOR DETAILS...ALSO TO BE HEARD BY OUR TROOPS!!!!!

FEATURING THE HIP...SIMPLE PLAN..CELINE DION..WAYNE GRETZKY AND MANY OTHERS

HOPE FOR HAITI .....8 PM.....ALL MAJOR NETWORKS

My daughter's school did a "hop for Haiti". Each child's number of hops was recorded and the teachers are asking for $1 each. I like that the school teaches the children about charity (with many events for other causes throughout the year). I have to come up with $12 :) I have watched some of the footage with my daughter on CNN so that she can see what real life is all about.

Tonight's concert:

http://mumbrella.com.au/channel-10-mtv-and-vh1-to-broadcast-live-fundraising-concert-for-haiti-earthquake-victims-16324

Channel 10, MTV and VH1 to broadcast live fundraising concert for Haiti earthquake victims

Network Ten, MTV and VH1 Australia will broadcast live the fundraising concerts being held in London, New York and Los Angeles in support of the earthquake victims in Haiti.

The Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief concerts will see a line up of celebrities and musical artists lend their support for the cause which will be broadcast in Australia tomorrow from 12pm.

Among the latest stars to be announced are Beyoncé in London, Madonna in New York City, and Haitian artist Emeline Michel in Los Angeles will join Wyclef Jean, Bruce Springsteen, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J. Blige, Shakira, and Sting in New York City.

Also in New York will be Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Dave Matthews, John Legend, Justin Timberlake, Stevie Wonder, Taylor Swift, and a group performance by Keith Urban, Kid Rock, and Sheryl Crow.

In London, there will be Coldplay, and a group performance by Bono, The Edge, Jay-Z, and Rihanna.

In addition to musical performances, others invloved will include: President Bill Clinton, Ben Stiller, Brad Pitt, Chris Rock, Clint Eastwood, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Jon Stewart, Julia Roberts, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Meryl Streep, Morgan Freeman, Nicole Kidman, Robert Pattinson, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hanks and Will Smith with Muhammad Ali.

Viewers will be asked to send in their donations online, via phone or mail.

Music performances from the concert will be available for purchase and download on iTunes, with Apple, the record labels and the artists donating their share of the proceeds to Haiti relief funds managed by the Hope for Haiti Now charities.

The charities are Oxfam America, Partners in Health, the Red Cross, UNICEF, United Nations World Food Programme, Yele Haiti Foundation, and the newly formed Clinton Bush Haiti Foundation.

Hello;

Did anyone watch HOPE FOR HAITI NOW or CANADA FOR HAITI?

Although the performances I saw were good..I found the events to be very sad..and I could not watch all of HELP FOR HAITI NOW..

I wish much success with fund raising projects..

Juliet

Archived