Spring is coming!

Led Zep Girl

So, I was on google earlier, and I was searching for Storm Shelters. We have wanted one for years but never got around to it. I live in Oklahoma which is smack dab in Tornado Alley. Oklahoma is known for tornado activity and I plan to be ready for it. I was watching the Noon News and Oklahoma has already seen it's first tornado for 2010. It wasn't near me but it was pretty long lived. Anyways, other than the severe weather, I think I am ready for spring.

Here is a link to the tornado that touched down today: Tornado Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

You're not the only one who is ready for the spring. Well, luckily we don't have tornados in Germany. But there was such a lovely weather till last week - sunny, almost no clouds everyday, around 16°C - but on the weekend it got cold again and there was snow <_< not that I don't like snow, but we had such a snowy winter and everybody was happy to see the spring coming up till last week.

Anyway, nice to hear that nobody was hurted in Oklahoma and I hope the spring is with you soon - without tornados and storms! ;)

Edited by whoops

I understand what you mean about tornados. They're scary! We don't get as many in the Louisville area as you do in Oklahoma. I remember one day my family and I were eating out and as we were leaving the restaurant, the sky looked really dark and ominous. When we got on the road I looked back toward the river (Ohio river) and I saw a HUGE funnel cloud in the sky, and I screamed at my dad to drive faster! Thankfully, it didn't touch down! So, yes I'm ready for spring, but I wish we didn't have to put up with the darned tornados.

Tornado in Xenia Ohio, 1974

When I was a kid, there was an outbreak of tornados across the midwest, including Ohio, in 1974.

The city of Xenia was almost decimated by an F5 category tornado. It also had a tornado touchdown in 2000. It must be a magnet for tornados. It's in a bit of a tornado alley of Ohio.

After that one in 1974, I was terrified of tornados, even though we did not have any tornados where I lived.

As I have gotten older, I don't panic when there is a tornado warning issued. I haven't been afraid of them since childhood, but I wouldn't want to see one coming toward my house or my car when I am out driving.

When I was little I was petrified of tornadoes. Because the only thing going through your head is...I'm gonna die. Now that I understand about how they form and what not, I respect mother nature a little more than when I was younger. I mean it's a no-brainer that when a tornado warning is issued for your location, you take cover. Which is why I think it would be a great investment to get a safe room installed. But I am debating what kind and which type. :unsure: Anyways, I am ready for spring weather I just hope the tornadoes stay away. But you never know.

Tornado in Xenia Ohio, 1974

When I was a kid, there was an outbreak of tornados across the midwest, including Ohio, in 1974.

The city of Xenia was almost decimated by an F5 category tornado. It also had a tornado touchdown in 2000. It must be a magnet for tornados. It's in a bit of a tornado alley of Ohio.

After that one in 1974, I was terrified of tornados, even though we did not have any tornados where I lived.

As I have gotten older, I don't panic when there is a tornado warning issued. I haven't been afraid of them since childhood, but I wouldn't want to see one coming toward my house or my car when I am out driving.

Wow that is one bad tornado. We have a very little community called Zena. I think it is pronounced the same way as Xenia. Well back in 1999, we had a really bad tornado. I actually think it went down in history. With winds in excess of 200+ mph.

Edited by Led Zep Girl

Spring is my favorite season of the year. I love the new life emerging. Baby birds, flowers, pleasant weather.

The only thing I have to deal with is the weeds that have taken over my gardens so I can dig in the dirt and do some planting. I just wish the flowers and things I want in the garden grew as profusly and the weeds do. Oh well,

keeps me active.

We had a tornado warning HERE a couple of months ago...I think everybody across the county must've done a double take when they saw that on the news! Luckily it didn't amount to anything, though. I hope everybody who lives in tornado-prone areas stays safe; those things sound scary. I hear it's also the beginning of thunderstorm season in the Mid South - boy did I get a taste of that when I went to TN/KY last June! So I hope everybody around there stays safe, too.

I'm ready for spring...I mean, it hasn't even snowed here, but it's been pretty chilly the last couple of weeks...this weenie here wouldn't mind if warmed up a little! :) Man, if I go to grad school in the Midwest, I am so screwed, lol. I keep thinking, "outdoor ice skating, yay!" but yesterday it was 55 degrees in the middle of the day and I was freezing (I only had a sweatshirt on, granted), so I don't know what I'm going to do when it's like 5 degrees outside. I'll look like that kid in A Christmas Story who can't walk because he has so many layers of clothes on, lol.

So, I was on google earlier, and I was searching for Storm Shelters. We have wanted one for years but never got around to it. I live in Oklahoma which is smack dab in Tornado Alley. Oklahoma is known for tornado activity and I plan to be ready for it. I was watching the Noon News and Oklahoma has already seen it's first tornado for 2010. It wasn't near me but it was pretty long lived. Anyways, other than the severe weather, I think I am ready for spring.

Here is a link to the tornado that touched down today: Tornado Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

My brother just moved to OKC from California. :blink:

I'm reading a book right now on the dust bowl. Part of the Oklahoma Panhandle was called 'No Man's Land'

I'd like to drive through that area to take pics of the old abandoned buildings and stuff.

B)

Spring is my favorite season of the year. I love the new life emerging. Baby birds, flowers, pleasant weather.

The only thing I have to deal with is the weeds that have taken over my gardens so I can dig in the dirt and do some planting. I just wish the flowers and things I want in the garden grew as profusly and the weeds do. Oh well,

keeps me active.

Yes. Besides all the nasty weather, Spring is my favorite season. All the dogwood's bloom around Easter, the little Easter lillies bloom and are so pretty! I just love flowers. I also like to see really pretty green grass. But I know my dad would disagree. He has to mow it! biggrin.gif

I understand what you mean about tornados. They're scary! We don't get as many in the Louisville area as you do in Oklahoma. I remember one day my family and I were eating out and as we were leaving the restaurant, the sky looked really dark and ominous. When we got on the road I looked back toward the river (Ohio river) and I saw a HUGE funnel cloud in the sky, and I screamed at my dad to drive faster! Thankfully, it didn't touch down! So, yes I'm ready for spring, but I wish we didn't have to put up with the darned tornados.

I don't do tornadoes either. Fortunately the area I live in doesn't get hit with them all that often (none in the time we've lived here), so we just have to worry about really bad thunderstorms, one of which we're supposed to get tomorrow night.

Now back in 2006, when we were living in Alpharetta, GA (about 20 mi north of Atlanta), a tornado hit about 2 miles from our house. Our parents were out of town so my sister and I were home alone when it happened. We were cowering in our half-bathroom downstairs, with a flashlight, battery-powered radio and a cell phone. The next morning we were driving around and it was stunning the amount of damage. Over on Main Street, a huge oak tree that had been inbedded in cement had been literally ripped out of the ground.

Tornadoes scare the hell out of me.

I don't do tornadoes either. Fortunately the area I live in doesn't get hit with them all that often (none in the time we've lived here), so we just have to worry about really bad thunderstorms, one of which we're supposed to get tomorrow night.

Now back in 2006, when we were living in Alpharetta, GA (about 20 mi north of Atlanta), a tornado hit about 2 miles from our house. Our parents were out of town so my sister and I were home alone when it happened. We were cowering in our half-bathroom downstairs, with a flashlight, battery-powered radio and a cell phone. The next morning we were driving around and it was stunning the amount of damage. Over on Main Street, a huge oak tree that had been inbedded in cement had been literally ripped out of the ground.

Tornadoes scare the hell out of me.

Tornadoes are no joke. You don't mess with mother nature that's for sure. I understand people wanting to take pictures but you have to be very careful. Especially with 200+ mph winds. I remember we used to live on top of this huge holler and (before I was born) an F5 went through there back in the sixties I think. Took a neighbor's house and just threw it around like a rag doll. Nobody was hurt thank God. My dad lived less than a mile from where this happened so he got eye witness accounts and such. My dad is one of ten kids so you can imagine the storm shelter being packed!

It stormed here last night. More lightning than anything. Lot's of mud puddles now. Ugh...I do not like mud.

Edited by Led Zep Girl