Polish President and Other Dignitaries Killed in Plane Crash

Patrycja

Ok so I'm not sure that this is intended to generate a heap of conversation, but for the sake of honouring the deceased and acknowledging the tragedy, I thought it deserved its own space.

The cynic in me can't help but be a little suspicious - it was a target rich environment, that plane - but as I've said on FB, it may just be that I need to vent. If anything untoward did occur, I don't expect it to come out for another fifty years or so. You know, like with the Katyn massacre (given the event they were traveling to commemmorate, eerie timing.)

Anyway, please do have a look at the passenger list and maybe offer up an RIP. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated, fellow zepheads:

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/2007

Ok so I'm not sure that this is intended to generate a heap of conversation, but for the sake of honouring the deceased and acknowledging the tragedy, I thought it deserved its own space.

The cynic in me can't help but be a little suspicious - it was a target rich environment, that plane - but as I've said on FB, it may just be that I need to vent. If anything untoward did occur, I don't expect it to come out for another fifty years or so. You know, like with the Katyn massacre (given the event they were traveling to commemmorate, eerie timing.)

Anyway, please do have a look at the passenger list and maybe offer up an RIP. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated, fellow zepheads:

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/2007

An awful event Patrycja and a tragedy for Poland.I sincerly hope that there is nothing suspicious about this,but I did find it strange that all these Polish dignitaries would be travelling at the same time in the same plane just in case of a tragedy like this occuring.Condolensces to your country.

Such a void this has created. So very sad.

Yeah I don't know why they were all on one plane either. I mean there were three planes that flew to Smolensk. Couldn't they have just spread the dignitaries around??

Thanks everybody, greatly appreciated.

Such a void this has created. So very sad.

Yeah I don't know why they were all on one plane either. I mean there were three planes that flew to Smolensk. Couldn't they have just spread the dignitaries around??

Thanks everybody, greatly appreciated.

Not trying to read more into this tragedy than there is but, all of them being on the same plane does make you wonder. Not the normal protocal I would think and there will be plenty of questions as to why they were !

A terrible tragedy none the less Pat and I'm sorry for the sadness that has been inflicted on our Polish community

Not trying to read more into this tragedy than there is but, all of them being on the same plane does make you wonder. Not the normal protocal I would think and there will be plenty of questions as to why they were !

A terrible tragedy none the less Pat and I'm sorry for the sadness that has been inflicted on our Polish community

Oh believe me, Ally, you're not saying anything many aren't thinking. That Putin has put himself at the head of the investigation into the crash hardly instills confidence. Sober skepticism of his policies/influence has been dearly bought.

But anyway, we'll see what the investigation(s) reveal. Like you said, now is the time for paying our respects. TY.

Oh believe me, Ally, you're not saying anything many aren't thinking. That Putin has put himself at the head of the investigation into the crash hardly instills confidence. Sober skepticism of his policies/influence has been dearly bought.

But anyway, we'll see what the investigation(s) reveal. Like you said, now is the time for paying our respects. TY.

We'll discuss this more when the investigation begins. As for now, yes, respects need to be paid

Ok well so the funeral for President Kaczynski and his wife, Maria, will be held this Sunday at 8am (EST) in Wawel Castle. Controversy about the burial site notwithstanding, the family seems adamant about going ahead with it on this day despite the giant cloud of volcanic ash spreading its way across Europe and beyond. This could of course alter plans of foreign dignitaries, or endanger them, God forbid. Anyway, I hope everything goes smoothly for these air travelers. And to think the Polish president and his party were originally to have taken a train...

• 4 years later...

How true. It seems like few people today even remember the Katyn forest....

I wasn't around when it happened but I read about it in a Russian history class at university. IIRC, the NKVD (Soviet intelligence during World War II) massacred a group of Polish military officers and resistance leaders. The Soviets were thinking ahead. They knew they wanted to control Poland once the war ended. They killed the people who could best fight Soviet domination of Poland.

I wasn't around when it happened but I read about it in a Russian history class at university. IIRC, the NKVD (Soviet intelligence during World War II) massacred a group of Polish military officers and resistance leaders. The Soviets were thinking ahead. They knew they wanted to control Poland once the war ended. They killed the people who could best fight Soviet domination of Poland.

You nailed it. Most of the roughly 15,000 massacred Polish officers were reservists who acted as the civil/social elite of Poland during peacetime. (A huge number of the murdered Polish officers were judges, doctors, lawyers, civil servants, aristocrats, etc.) So by conducting the massacre, the Soviets simultaneously decapitated a huge percentage of Poland's military and civil elite in one fell swoop.

Archived