Page, Slade, & Newsted?

This is from an article about former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted's newfound love of painting. Am I reading this correctly, is Jimmy working with Chris Slade and recruiting Newsted? Interesting...

"...Newsted hasn't ruled out going big again, taking calls the past few years from the likes of Slash, Aerosmith's Joey Kramer and others looking at side projects, none of which progressed past the first couple of calls. Last week he received a message from former AC/DC and The Firm drummer Chris Slade, who texted he was "looking for (Jimmy) Page and Newsted."

"Jimmy Page and Chris Slade," he says, with a laugh. "What time do you want me there? When you get called by your first name by guys whose posters you used to have on the wall — and still do, as my dad has kept my old room the way it was with the posters of Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith and AC/DC — surreal is the word for it."..."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15129701?nclick_check=1

This is from an article about former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted's newfound love of painting. Am I reading this correctly, is Jimmy working with Chris Slade and recruiting Newsted? Interesting...

"...Newsted hasn't ruled out going big again, taking calls the past few years from the likes of Slash, Aerosmith's Joey Kramer and others looking at side projects, none of which progressed past the first couple of calls. Last week he received a message from former AC/DC and The Firm drummer Chris Slade, who texted he was "looking for (Jimmy) Page and Newsted."

"Jimmy Page and Chris Slade," he says, with a laugh. "What time do you want me there? When you get called by your first name by guys whose posters you used to have on the wall — and still do, as my dad has kept my old room the way it was with the posters of Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith and AC/DC — surreal is the word for it."..."

http://www.mercuryne...?nclick_check=1

It reads to me Chris Slade contacted Jason Newsted and said he is looking for Jimmy Page. If Chris & Jimmy were already working together he wouldn't have to go looking for him.

It reads to me Chris Slade contacted Jason Newsted and said he is looking for Jimmy Page. If Chris & Jimmy were already working together he wouldn't have to go looking for him.

Maybe Jimmy is on a vision quest?

;)

Could be, but why would Chris Slade be asking Jason Newsted of all people about contacting Jimmy?

Of course to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail!

Jason Newsted did play with Jimmy on the final jam at the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Cleveland in April 2009. So Jimmy is aware of Jason's skills and talents as a bass player. (Jason was included with Metallica's induction, which I thought was a very kind thing for Lars and James and Kirk and Robert to do. And Jimmy was there to induct Jeff Beck.)

Just add Paul Rodgers, and we could have a Firm reunion, with Jason on bass. I would love that! biggrin.gif

3438507654_df8e83b4a2.jpg

On December 15, 1983 Jimmy's personal assistant/road manager, Phil Carlo, telephoned Chris Slade in the afternoon to say Jimmy would like him to join him for a jam at Nomis Studios in London. The following month

Jimmy began four months of rehearsal sessions at Nomis with various musicians, including Slade, who went

on to join Jimmy in The Firm later that year. They do get on well together.

On December 15, 1983 Jimmy's personal assistant/road manager, Phil Carlo, telephoned Chris Slade in the afternoon to say Jimmy would like him to join him for a jam at Nomis Studios in London. The following month

Jimmy began four months of rehearsal sessions at Nomis with various musicians, including Slade, who went

on to join Jimmy in The Firm later that year. They do get on well together.

Dear Mr. Zeppelin Facts,

Surprised you didn't mention the Jimmy/Chris connection first began back in their session days when both played on Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual. Glaring oversight on your part, old fruit. Time to update the archives.

Love,

Billy

"The all important drum seat (in The Firm) was filled by Chris Slade of Manfred Mann's Earth band and Tom Jones' fame. But Jimmy had to wait until Chris came off the road from the Dave Gilmour tour. Jimmy didn't mind, Chris was a monster drummer and well worth the wait.." - TONY FRANKLIN FRANKLIN

Archived